Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stefan5301 wrote: View Post
    but how about when he needs to rebound the ball?
    I think Demar showed an improved knack for rebounding near the end of last season. And once he's put in a position where he doesn't need to get back on every possession, he will be given a chance to crash to boards a little more consistently.

he doesn't shoot well from outside nor finish at the rim all the well either.
    I would disagree with both of these statements.
    I think if you go here, you will notice that, yes we all know he isn't much of a 3-Point shooter, but inside 15-feet, he shoots 50%, while shooting 59% at the Rim.
    Good stats for a Slashing-3.

Comment

• This is all cemantics, of course he hypothetically COULD play the 3, but it would neither work towards his strengths nor benefit the team. He isn't exactly a great defender to begin with, so asking him to play undersized on top of that would have a negative impact on the team, and he'd suffer physically after a while. We should just put together the right assets to get a starting 3 between now and the trade deadline. Can you imagine DeRozan guarding someone like Carmelo (especially in a 7 game series)? We don't need to be giving our opponents any extra advantages. Let's take our time and get the right SF when the opportunity presents itself.

Comment

• jimmyhunter wrote: View Post
        Let's take our time and get the right SF when the opportunity presents itself.
        Completely agree.. But in the mean time?

Comment

• James Johnson.

Comment

• After their failed efforts to land a 3 through trade, I think the drafting of Terrence Ross was with the hope that he would develop into a starting 3. Yes he needs to bulk up to be able to compete with the likes of Lebron, JJ etc., but his good rebounding skills makes him a better candidate for the job. Long term.
            Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

• jimmyhunter wrote: View Post
              James Johnson.
              Fair enough. I'm fine with that, as I love me some Jam Johnson.
              Just not sure Casey is so fond of him anymore.

Comment

• Why can he play the 3? A better question would be, why cant he play the 2 either?

Comment

• Three things impact DD's being able to play the 3.

1. height/weight
                  2. strength
                  3. desire

DD's game (slasher w/ no real outside shot) would translate better as a standard 3, but he doesn't have 1. the size(height/weight), 2. the strength, or 3. the desire to fight a bigger/stronger opponent.

Were we to get a solid 3&D SF (Batum?), DD could effective play the better fit for him at SG - and a 3pt shooting PG (Nash or Jose) and a 3pt shooting PF in AB would stretch the floor enough to make DD effective. Otherwise DD will be a 6th man SG/SF at best.

Comment

• demar is simply not talented enough to belong on the floor either 2 or 3.

Highly inefficient, spends too much time holding the ball, doesn't play defense, can't dribble for sh i t , can't rebound... unless these things change next year, (unlikely imo) he has no business being on the floor, 2 OR 3.

Comment

• Demar just needs to bulk a a little bit. He's quick enough to stay in front of most sf's in the league hopefully Ross being there will be somewhat good for Demar cuz, he has to look over his shoulder now. And, in a side note since we're looking for a small forward, what about rashard lewis? Isnt he an SF? maybe we can sign him for cheap and maybe only for a year and see what he can do under casey's system. Whatchu think?

Comment

• Watch the press conference of the introduction of Quincy Acy and Terrence Ross, and Dwane made a joke, that Demar looks like a power forward now. But this was to state Demar DID bulk up. I think him being stronger, and his very good athleticism should be able to hold good ground.

Offensively, it shouldn't be a problem. The guy averaged 16 points per game this season on a streaky perimeter shot, mid range game, free throws, and layups/dunks. Not a great shot creator, but he was able to be a "diamond in the rough." Not too mention he has his best games against the bigger name teams, i.e. In Miami this past season scoring 25 points on an efficient 50% shooting, 8-16 from the field, 9-11 from the free throw line, and at home scoring 28 points on 9-17 FG% shooting, and 10-10 from the free throw line. Can't really say he CAN'T match up well against bigger players.

Defensively, people continue to put names up of LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Carmelo Anthony, saying, "how he is going to guard those type of guys?" Well, you tell me who CAN guard those guys consistently? Don't say Thabo Sefolosha either, because if he could, the Thunder probably would've lost in more than 5 games... Demar Derozan is a perimeter player, he guards stronger shooting guards like Wade, Bryant, and seems to fair nicely against them.

IMO, he does have his liabilities, but he isn't a player you can take full advantage over, he can give you production, and he can guard players when he really puts his mind to it, we saw it inconsistently (same case with Andrea Bargnani). I'm willing to experiment him at the 3, but Terrence Ross in my mind would seem better as a 3, but either way, both would compliment each other perfectly on the wings together.
                        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• i think demar can totally play the 3. depending on who they get to play the 3 demar might be holding ross's spot at the two.

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                            i think demar can totally play the 3. depending on who they get to play the 3 demar might be holding ross's spot at the two.
                            +1 His spot minutes were very nice, I think he can play a long period of time at the position. Like Dwane Casey mentioned, they're JUST wing players. Numbers are nothing.

Comment

• I think DeMar can play the position but not effectively. In a line up with Bargnani at the PF you need your SF to be a good rebound and help defender more so than on a team with two defensive minded bigs. However, If Casey wanted to go with a more offensive minded line up DeMar and Ross at the wings with Nash dropping dimes to them would be pretty sick.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                                I think DeMar can play the position but not effectively. In a line up with Bargnani at the PF you need your SF to be a good rebound and help defender more so than on a team with two defensive minded bigs. However, If Casey wanted to go with a more offensive minded line up DeMar and Ross at the wings with Nash dropping dimes to them would be pretty sick.
                                You're absolutely right about the offensive end! and with Bargnani at the four, and Demar at the three, I don't believe you need to be as good as a rebounder you are referring too. James Johnson rebounded the ball well enough, but offensively we were a liability. So really, both ways have their ineffectiveness, but if Nash were to sign here, offensively we would flourish more than defensively, but defensively we wouldn't regress in my opinion, especially with a young anchor coming in. One thing about us last season, we were good defensively because we had good defensive sets/matchups, not so much the skills/players to do so. I mean, Amir Johnson & Aaron Gray were our centers this past season, and they both have one thing over the other, but Jonas is a more athletic, longer, taller, higher potential player than either Amir and Aaron.

Dwane did mention as well they wanted to run more, they lacked talent, and really we aren't a liability with Nash replacing Calderon, Ross replacing JJ, and Jonas replacing Amir. I feel we get better now and for the long term.

Demar has improved his ability to do different things, and I feel he will be a better rebounder because of an addition of strength.

Comment

Working...
                                X