No announcement yet.

Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Nobody utilizes the dying mid-range game more often than Aldridge, though DeMar DeRozan creates the bulk of his points from there as well.

DeRozan said he’s a fan of his game and catches the late-night games after studying film of his own play.

He hopes his success and that of Aldridge will open some eyes, insisting that the mid-range game still has value.

When they said you’ve got to play a certain style of basketball (shooting three-pointers and getting to the rim), if you’re doing something that works, why go away from it?” DeRozan asked. “I remember when LaMarcus first came into the league, that was the knock on him: He was too soft, he wouldn’t post up, whatever.

“Now he can make an argument he’s one of the best power forwards in the game. Whatever works, go for it.”

Even Lowry, as big a fan of analytics as any player (just look at how he performs, rarely taking long jumpers), showed measured support for that approach.

“The theory is two-point jump-shots don’t beat you, but sometimes, if you make enough shots and you get on a roll, anything’s possible,” Lowry said.

“That’s what (Aldridge and DeRozan) do. Sometimes you’ve just got to live with that.”'

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/04/24...d-apart-in-nba
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
      He only needs to make slight adjustments - just shift a few of those shot attempts per game closer to the basket or out to the 3 pt line. He can still make use of the mid-range game, just not at this rate. (As JV and some of the young guys develop, I hope some of these shots will be deferred to them anyway.)

My concern is that DeMar has it in his head that the mid-range game is "his game." I don't remember where the video was, but a reporter asked him about this issue last season and his response was one of those "haters gonna hate, just gotta play my game" type responses. Lowry has also defended the issue in the same way, I think for the sake of backing up a friend and teammate.

DeMar can adjust his shot attempts at any time. I don't know when he will.
      I don't argue that there aren't a couple of shots per game, out of 18, that couldn't be questioned. Thing is, you can say that about every high usage offensive weapon on every team in the NBA. DeMar has proven that he's far from a finished product, so I would expect that his decision making will improve, especially when the team has more reliable scoring options around him. As is, his assists took a big jump last year, that I'd speculate would have been even higher if 1. Guys who he did feed got better results, 2. He had reason to be more confident in more players. Let's face it: it was him and/or KL that had to carry the team on their backs more often than not. No reason to think he won't get better as the team gets better.

Comment

• I think really, the issue can be timing.... WHEN the shots are taken. But to completely say lon gtwo's are bad is a bit inaccurate as they have to be there to open up the floor for a player.

A lot of you guys like to preach getting to the rim, but getting to the rim isn't as easy as just doing it, you need to pull opponents out of the paint, they need to wonder where the next shot is coming from. If you aren't setting guys up with a jumper, they wont respect it.

Comment

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
          I think really, the issue can be timing.... WHEN the shots are taken. But to completely say lon gtwo's are bad is a bit inaccurate as they have to be there to open up the floor for a player.

A lot of you guys like to preach getting to the rim, but getting to the rim isn't as easy as just doing it, you need to pull opponents out of the paint, they need to wonder where the next shot is coming from. If you aren't setting guys up with a jumper, they wont respect it.
          When is exactly my issue.

A secondary issue is how (for example, ball sticking, holding, aimless dribble, ISO with 15secs on clock pull up)

Comment

• DeMar is a 22 5 and 5 guy. How many of those exist in the league? Sure there's areas he can improve but the guy watches way more film and studies bball Way more than everyone on this site combined. So why don't some of you stop trying to be the smartest anonymous guy in the thread and start to praise his vast improvement over the years and maybe take a break and live in the real world for a bit. I know the analytical vacuum is fun and all but there are situations analytics don't account for.
            Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
            Because its 2015

Comment

• Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
              DeMar is a 22 5 and 5 guy. How many of those exist in the league? Sure there's areas he can improve but the guy watches way more film and studies bball Way more than everyone on this site combined. So why don't some of you stop trying to be the smartest anonymous guy in the thread and start to praise his vast improvement over the years and maybe take a break and live in the real world for a bit. I know the analytical vacuum is fun and all but there are situations analytics don't account for.
              If DD reaches 25-5-5 he will be considered a superstar. TMac, Kobe, Jordan, Hill numbers

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                If DD reaches 25-5-5 he will be considered a superstar. TMac, Kobe, Jordan, Hill numbers
                Well if that's your description of a superstar he's 0.7 rebounds per game and 1 assist per game away from being a super star.

Point is, he must be doing something right. Including his mid range game
                Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                Because its 2015

Comment

Well if that's your description of a superstar he's 0.7 rebounds per game and 1 assist per game away from being a super star.

Or one could argue he would be much better if he approached the mid-range differently, so he is doing something right in spite of his mid range game.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I think 25-5-5 is the benchmark for wing players like 20-10 is for forwards

Comment

• It always helps to have a confident mid range shooter on your team come playoff time. Thats when everything is tuned up to the max, especially defense. The two shots you would never want to give opens looks to are 3 point shots and shots in the paint. In theory, this means that there would be less of a focus on the mid range jump shot meaning that it would be a 'good' shot to take.

Having a mid range shooter helps keep the defense honest and helps create more looks for teammates who are on the perimeter or in the paint.

As a testament to this, I'd like to point everyone out to Derozan's performance in Game 2. He played like an all star, and essentially won the game for the Raptors by use of a barrage of long range 2's, many of which were contested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdimBKvHyeo

Furthermore, I'd like to point out the play of two other SG's in the playoffs, both of whom struggled mightily on the offensive end. James Harden, the focal point of the Rockets offense, struggled mightily in the playoffs as he was driven off the 3 point line but could not hit his mid range shots. On the other hand, Lamarcus Aldridge had TWO consecutive 40 point games vs the Rockets. And as was seen in the video posted earlier in this thread, Aldridge had the highest usage rate for long 2's last season. That speaks volumes about the effectiveness of the mid range shot in the playoffs.

Terrence Ross, the Raptors designated 3 and D guy, could not find consistency with his shooting in the post season. The Nets forced him into tough shots, but Ross could not get his shots to fall. Ross also struggled at finishing at the rim, thus helping in completing the turmoil.

Derozan's offensive game is so valuable to the Raptors offence. By ignoring or suppressing the importance of Demar's post season production, one could argue that the Raptors wouldn't have won a single playoff game. The same could be said in the case of Lowry. What makes this back court duo so deadly is how their two games compliment each other's so well. Whilst Lowry attacks the paint and relies on outside shooting for offence, Derozan relies primarily on his mid range game and on getting to the free throw line. Combined, it makes them one of the top 3 back courts in the NBA.
                      (Curry, Thompson, Wall, Beal, Lowry, Derozan)
                      Last edited by YoungGunRaptor; Wed Aug 13, 2014, 05:08 PM.
                      I know this may be a bit controversial but I think the Raptors have proven that they're the best team in the NBA from Canada
                      -random Facebook user. 2016

Comment

• Its why Harden hands trouble in the playoffs.

Comment

• Jared Dubin

NBA Assist Location-Part I
                          https://www.bsports.com/statsinsight...n#.U-y_DfldVIR

NBA Assist Location-Part II

Demar is 9th in 3pt assists(160)
                          Kyle Lowry is 13th(147)

Demar is 10th in corner 3 assists(50), 9th in wing 3 assists(90), 10th in top of key 3 assists(20)

Goran Dragic and DeMar DeRozan are the only players who appear on the leaderboards for all three spots around the arc.

Comment

• DeMar really improved his drive-and-dish game last year. Almost all his newfound assists were kick outs to the perimeter (with a few more dump ins to an open big).
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• bobbybutler wrote: View Post
                              Jared Dubin

NBA Assist Location-Part I

NBA Assist Location-Part II

Demar is 9th in 3pt assists(160)
                              Kyle Lowry is 13th(147)

Demar is 10th in corner 3 assists(50), 9th in wing 3 assists(90), 10th in top of key 3 assists(20)

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                                wanna guess how I can tell that you are old?
                                For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Working...
                                X