No announcement yet.

Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you for this. Can't say I love derozans game but he comes with a cheap price tag. And singing him for 18-20 Mil seems expensive with the new salary cap increase its not much at all.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
      He isn't good enough to warrant it.
      Yeah that argument's not gonna cut it.

People are getting caught up in the $ value of the contract instead of looking at percentages of the cap. I remember reading a post on reddit I think where a guy said if reporters just tweeted out the % of the cap that a player is getting paid instead of 5yr/50M or whatever, a lot less people would freak out over contracts.

The NBA salary cap in 2017/18 will almost be double what it was when DeRozan signed his first extension. So him making double the money... kind of makes sense (and might even turn out to be a steal again). Especially given that he's a lot better now than he was then.

Comment

• Katman wrote: View Post
        We pay him the 25m asking price
        Listen, i'm a big DeRozan fan and everybody in here knows that. But he's nowhere near worth 25m/year. He's not a max player. IF the rumour is true that he's looking for max money then you have to move him.
        Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Even in the "nightmare scenario" that we pay DeRozan the max starting at ~23.2M with 7.5% increases (iirc from DanH's numbers). That would be ~24.9M in 2017-18 which would be 23% of the salary cap which again is not a dramatic increase from the contract he got after his rookie deal.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
            I've been thinking about an argument that keeps being made by the "trade DD NOW" camp, and I've realized it makes no sense.

You guys are saying we need to trade him before we have to pay him in free agency and he becomes an albatross contract, yes? But then you also argue that DD will get offered big money by teams that strike out on first tier free agents next year, yes?

So if these GMs are willing to offer big money to DeRozan in the 2016 offseason, why would he suddenly become untradeable when the 2016-17 season starts? In fact, wouldn't he have more value considering that he would be locked up for 4-5 years, as opposed to the uncertainty of trading for an expiring UFA DD right now?

Anyone got an answer?
            because his performance is largely erratic and unreliable, and locking him up 4-5 years for an insane price means he'd have to perform at a constant high level in order to maintain his value or else?

Comment

• jesus christ does this thread seriously need to exist???

Comment

Yeah that argument's not gonna cut it.

People are getting caught up in the $ value of the contract instead of looking at percentages of the cap. I remember reading a post on reddit I think where a guy said if reporters just tweeted out the % of the cap that a player is getting paid instead of 5yr/50M or whatever, a lot less people would freak out over contracts.

The NBA salary cap in 2017/18 will almost be double what it was when DeRozan signed his first extension. So him making double the money... kind of makes sense (and might even turn out to be a steal again). Especially given that he's a lot better now than he was then.
                Don't really feel the need to elaborate on why DD isn't good enough since its well document in the Everything Demar thread.

He isn't worth the money. Last contract, Colangelo was betting that DD would improve his performance by adding to his game. DD managed to improve in some areas but not in others. This time round, there isn't any "potential" payment as DD is what he is, a high volume scorer who uses a high usage to get lots of FTs. He struggles from deep and is not a playmaker. He is capable defender in Casey's system, due to his experience with the rotation heavy assignments, but struggles to contain dribblers, contest shots or cause turnovers.

DD's All-Star season is what he can be, at best. This season (pre-injury included) showed the other side. The next 3-5 years are likely somewhere in between and that isn't worth $20M.
                Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• iblastoff wrote: View Post
                  jesus christ does this thread seriously need to exist???
                  No it doesn't.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• iblastoff wrote: View Post
                    because his performance is largely erratic and unreliable , and locking him up 4-5 years for an insane price means he'd have to perform at a constant high level in order to maintain his value or else?
                    Sorry this doesn't add up.

I'd definitely say DeRozan isn't efficient, but in terms of consistency he pretty much brings the same thing from game to game. What you're saying makes zero sense.

Comment

• The salary cap is going up by a collective $660 million league-wide next summer. Probably close to 25 teams will have $20 million or more in cap space. He'll be one of the top 8 or so UFAs. His open market value will be a max contract.

Comment

• It will all depend on what he is doing this season. If he's averaging more than 21 points, 4.5 rebounds, 4 assists and 1 steal in more than 60 games and we get more than 50 wins, he's, to me, a max contract player for sure.

Comment

I've been thinking about an argument that keeps being made by the "trade DD NOW" camp, and I've realized it makes no sense.

You guys are saying we need to trade him before we have to pay him in free agency and he becomes an albatross contract, yes? But then you also argue that DD will get offered big money by teams that strike out on first tier free agents next year, yes?

So if these GMs are willing to offer big money to DeRozan in the 2016 offseason, why would he suddenly become untradeable when the 2016-17 season starts? In fact, wouldn't he have more value considering that he would be locked up for 4-5 years, as opposed to the uncertainty of trading for an expiring UFA DD right now?

Anyone got an answer?
                          It takes a stupid GM to use up 25M of cap space on DeMar DeRozan.

It takes a much stupider GM to give up assets for the privilege.

There are plenty of GM's stupid enough to do the first. I'm not certain there will be very many stupid enough to do the second.

In general, even though free agents are overpaid in terms of salary and cap hit, they can be very efficient ways to gather talent because there is no asset cost to do so (as long as the cap space is come by organically). Whereas a trade saves only a little cap hit, while costing assets like draft picks and other players. That's part of why GM's are so eager to overpay in free agency - it is purely a cap/talent trade off. Straight up improvement over not having the player. Whereas trades, both sides need to think they are winning, so there is always a cost to doing business.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Sorry this doesn't add up.

I'd definitely say DeRozan isn't efficient, but in terms of consistency he pretty much brings the same thing from game to game. What you're saying makes zero sense.
                            I think what he is referring to is that DD's game is fairly easy to shut down (follow GSW whiteboard instructions) and since he doesn't contribute much in other aspects, it's basically dependent on his jump shot falling.

There have been plenty of discussions showing how DD goes on hot streaks (last month or so of season) but has equally long cold streaks.

Comment

• charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
                              It will all depend on what he is doing this season. If he's averaging more than 21 points, 4.5 rebounds, 4 assists and 1 steal in more than 60 games and we get more than 50 wins, he's, to me, a max contract player for sure.
                              So basically match his career best in each of those categories (which were set in different seasons). Then sign him and hope he continues to do so.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                                So basically match his career best in each of those categories (which were set in different seasons). Then sign him and hope he continues to do so.
                                You act like he achieved that career best at age 30 or something.

It happened at age 24. It's not unthinkable to think it could continue to happen, regularly. We'll see what happens this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X