Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sinbad wrote: View Post
    Solid article. While I've been advocating for the Raptors to hire a shot doctor since they parted ways with Dave Hopla, it might become a necessity. The similarities between Kawhi's and especially Bazemore's pre-shot doctor shooting form is eerily similar to DeRozan's current form-- the guide hand coming over the top of the ball instead of supporting it from the side and the catapult motion from behind the head increases the difficulty of long-range shooting. Too many moving parts.

https://theringer.com/nba-shooting-c...680#.d3ddf6jqz
    The before/after split screen of Kawhi's shot, is so telling. Great find.

Comment

• I really don't care about DeMar improving his 3pt shooting, he's good enough from the corners and is never going to be a marksman clearly and that's fine. For me it's all about decision making. When he makes the right plays with the ball he's an elite player, I mean he can basically do everything out there offensively: score from different areas, create for teammates, work the pick and roll, work the post, draw fouls, etc. The problem is he just gets tunnel vision often and especially in the playoffs that make him look nearly D-League level at times. You have to know when to set up your teammates and when to take it for yourself.

if DeMar just became an expert at picking his spots and reading the game he'd be amazing and also very consistent, and would play better in the playoffs. But I think those are the hardest things to get good at in basketball. I actually think it comes down to pressure as well, because it seems like when he feels like the team really needs to win and is expected to win in the playoffs, he starts trying to will the team to victory and that's when he runs into trouble. You need hall-of-fame level talent to even attempt that and he's not that caliber of player. When there was less pressure and expectation in the Brooklyn series in 2014 and also last year against Cleveland he played a lot smarter and more under control.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
        The before/after split screen of Kawhi's shot, is so telling. Great find.
        The catapult motion is the first thing I noticed about Kawhi as a college player. I never thought he'd get to where he is unless his shot was completely reconstructed. Full credit to the Spurs scouting department and the commitment to getting him to work with a shooting coach from day one. They took the same approach with Tony Parker. They get it. Amir had similar issues with his delayed jumper too, and they went unaddressed. Of course, players can marginally improve on their percentages through sheer repetition, but their ceiling will always remain lower than it otherwise could be.
        Last edited by Sinbad; Mon Oct 17, 2016, 08:30 PM.

Comment

• DeMar absolutely needs a shooting coach. That catapult motion is almost exactly his shot. He doesn't necessarily need to start hitting threes but he most certainly needs to get that mid range percentage up if he wants to at least be a Carmelo Anthony level of player.

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
            DeMar absolutely needs a shooting coach. That catapult motion is almost exactly his shot. He doesn't necessarily need to start hitting threes but he most certainly needs to get that mid range percentage up if he wants to at least be a Carmelo Anthony level of player.
            We don't know for certain if the organization ever approached DeRozan about using a shot-doctor, but I have my doubts. They let Bargnani shoot off the wrong foot for years. DeMar has had the same flawed shooting form since he was a high-schooler. The release point on his jumper should be higher too. Carmelo gets a lot of flack for being a high-volume shooter, but his form is solid, his release is quick, and his shooting motion doesn't change the further away he gets from the basket; DeMar heaves it from over his shoulder like a shotput thrower. I doubt he can fix it at this point, or whether he would want to at all.
            Last edited by Sinbad; Tue Oct 18, 2016, 10:34 PM.

Comment

• Lupe wrote: View Post
              I really don't care about DeMar improving his 3pt shooting, he's good enough from the corners and is never going to be a marksman clearly and that's fine. For me it's all about decision making. When he makes the right plays with the ball he's an elite player, I mean he can basically do everything out there offensively: score from different areas, create for teammates, work the pick and roll, work the post, draw fouls, etc. The problem is he just gets tunnel vision often and especially in the playoffs that make him look nearly D-League level at times. You have to know when to set up your teammates and when to take it for yourself.

if DeMar just became an expert at picking his spots and reading the game he'd be amazing and also very consistent, and would play better in the playoffs. But I think those are the hardest things to get good at in basketball. I actually think it comes down to pressure as well, because it seems like when he feels like the team really needs to win and is expected to win in the playoffs, he starts trying to will the team to victory and that's when he runs into trouble. You need hall-of-fame level talent to even attempt that and he's not that caliber of player. When there was less pressure and expectation in the Brooklyn series in 2014 and also last year against Cleveland he played a lot smarter and more under control.
              A lot of this just comes with experience.
              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Cool video breaking down his game

Deebo has come a long way since 09'
                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                  A lot of this just comes with experience.
                  This is his 8th year in the league coming up now right? I get that guys get better with experience, but this is something that would be absolutely shocking if he took a dramatic leap in. Especially since it doesn't appear that the coach actively encourages that improvement.

Not saying it makes him a bad player, but it does hurt his play especially against the very best defenders in high pressure situations.

Comment

• Lupe wrote: View Post
                    This is his 8th year in the league coming up now right? I get that guys get better with experience, but this is something that would be absolutely shocking if he took a dramatic leap in. Especially since it doesn't appear that the coach actively encourages that improvement.

Not saying it makes him a bad player, but it does hurt his play especially against the very best defenders in high pressure situations.
                    Playoffs experience is different than regular season experience. Deebo will be a better player because of this last playoffs run.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
                    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Remember when this thread was too controversial and heated and had to be closed for much of the offseason? Yeah, that was last year.

Comment

Cool video breaking down his game

This makes me appreciate his game even more. And I think I'm already one of his bigger supporters. Lol Great video.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                          Remember when this thread was too controversial and heated and had to be closed for much of the offseason? Yeah, that was last year.
                          Lol Its not that it was too controversial, per se .. mostly just annoying. Haha It was just that the discussions were so circular and not going anywhere, we needed to save people from themselves. Lol

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                            Remember when this thread was too controversial and heated and had to be closed for much of the offseason? Yeah, that was last year.
                            And with DeMar's massive salary increase bringing high expectations, I'm expecting this thread to be way worse this season, if that's even possible.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                              Playoffs experience is different than regular season experience. Deebo will be a better player because of this last playoffs run.

huh??? he was largely terrible in the playoffs to the point where he set a record for being so terrible. and so bad to the point that this might have been the first time he's ever been BENCHED in the 4th quarter in his whole career. yeah not sure how this 'experience' is gonna make him better.

Comment

• iblastoff wrote: View Post
                                huh??? he was largely terrible in the playoffs to the point where he set a record for being so terrible. and so bad to the point that this might have been the first time he's ever been BENCHED in the 4th quarter in his whole career. yeah not sure how this 'experience' is gonna make him better.
                                He wasn't the only one. Lowry set records as well for his bad shooting. He will be better for it too. You can learn more from a bad experience than a good one. Im just glad Klow/Deebo confidence isn't as fragile as JV's. Confidence is one of the most important things to an NBA player.

JV might just of retire if he went through the same scrutiny Deebo/Klow went through earlier in the playoffs. Seeing how his handling the Rio experience so far.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                                X