Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• imanshumpert wrote: View Post
    DeRozan's game is very similar to Rip Hamilton, and Rip Hamilton's level of play always rose in the playoffs.

I think it's pretty stupid to say he doesn't have a playoff friendly game. Depends how you're being defended.

Based on games 6 and 7 for last year's finals, Danny Green doesn't have a "playoff friendly game" since all he could do was shoot 3s and once the Heat started chasing him off the line he couldn't do anything.
    The thing with the Rip comparisons is that Rip was much better at navigating screens and much better at shooting than DD...so he was able to get his game off, unlike DD, who has a smaller window of error coming off those screens.

Danny Green was the 5th fiddle. Its ok if the 5th fiddle gets shut down. DD is a number 1 guy on this team

Comment

• I can't see many similarities between DeRozan and Hamilton, aside from the fact that they don't shoot threes much. Hamilton was a classic off the ball two guard, he didn't hold the ball as long as DeRozan.

as OSC said, not many people worked the screens better than Rip.
      Last edited by BigCamB; Mon Apr 21, 2014, 12:48 PM.

Comment

• BigCamB wrote: View Post
        I can't see many similarities between DeRozan and Hamilton, aside from the fact that they don't shoot threes much. Hamilton was a classic off the ball two guard, he didn't hold the ball as long as DeRozan.

as OSC said, not many people worked the screens better than Rip.
        Oddly enough, Ross has shown a lot more flair with screen usage. He is much more similar in his style (although he extends his range to 3 rather than midrange) to Hamilton than DD is.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
          Oddly enough, Ross has shown a lot more flair with screen usage. He is much more similar in his style (although he extends his range to 3 rather than midrange) to Hamilton than DD is.
          Agreed

Comment

• Just saying, but didn't Vince go 3-for-20 in his first play-off game, and was apparently just as bad?
            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• Dirk, Ellis, wall, Beal, griffin all had shit nights and a bunch of others. If you're willing to write those guys off, write of DD. But I won't be joining you
              Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
              Because its 2015

Comment

• Griffin got killed by fouls. Not the same. He still had 16 points-3rbs-3asts in only 19 minutes.

Wall had 16 points with 6 boards and 6 assists with 2 steals in 34 minutes. A "shit night" indeed.

Beal had 13 points with 2 boards and 7 assists in 41 minutes. Bad shooting night more than not being able to get good shots

Ellis and Dirk had bad games against the best team in the league, but it wasn't because they couldn't get their game off, they just missed their usual shots.

DD couldn't get anything going because he couldn't get his game off because he doesn't have multiple skills on the offensive end. DD was BAD on Saturday. And I gave up on him sometime in 2012...

Comment

• you gave up too early brotherman...... he's gonna light these bitches up nxt game

Comment

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
                    you gave up too early brotherman...... he's gonna light these bitches up nxt game
                    I really hope so.

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                      Griffin got killed by fouls. Not the same. He still had 16 points-3rbs-3asts in only 19 minutes.

Wall had 16 points with 6 boards and 6 assists with 2 steals in 34 minutes. A "shit night" indeed.

Beal had 13 points with 2 boards and 7 assists in 41 minutes. Bad shooting night more than not being able to get good shots

Ellis and Dirk had bad games against the best team in the league, but it wasn't because they couldn't get their game off, they just missed their usual shots.

DD couldn't get anything going because he couldn't get his game off because he doesn't have multiple skills on the offensive end. DD was BAD on Saturday. And I gave up on him sometime in 2012...
                      You do realize that DeRozan for the most part was missing shots that he normally makes right?

#1: Comes off a Valanciunas screen and takes and misses a 16 foot jumper from the elbow with a weak contest from KG.
                      #2: Got the ball late in the clock and gets stopped by Livingston at the elbow with 3 seconds on the clock, has to take a bad turnaround fadeaway, misses
                      #3: Open corner three, misses.
                      #4: Even more open corner three, misses.
                      #5: Tough leaning shot here, misses, actually did a good job of penetrating though he was only like 5 feet away from the rim.
                      #6: Lowry gives him the pass for an open three late in the shot clock. He basically has to take this shot... Misses.
                      #7: Takes a contested corner 3 here. The Nets feed said it was a bad shot, but he shoots a very high percentage from that spot.
                      #8: Tries to draw a foul on Pierce on the jumper, bad shot and bad decision here.
                      #9: First make, pull up mid range J
                      #10: Gets all the way to the rim, past his defender but misses the layup.
                      #11: Not even sure wtf he was doing here, trying to be Kobe on this play and misses
                      #12: Fastbreak layup, scores
                      #13: Drives and dunks.

I count 4 bad shots there, and one was taken with basically no time on the shot clock. Only one was completely out of the flow of the offense (#11) and maybe you could say the one on Pierce was as well, but he was trying to draw a foul. It would've probably worked if it wasn't a guy like Pierce (who does that to people all the time) guarding him.

Say he makes shot #3 (wide open corner three) then he doesn't even take shot #4 (would've been no rebound), the layup against Blatche (#10) and the first shot that was off a pick which he makes regularly. All of a sudden he's 6-12 with 21 points.

I think his statement that he "just missed shots" isn't 100% of the story but it is pretty accurate. If he made a few of those ones that he normally was he would've had a much better game. Obviously, yes he took some bad shots, but I think every player does that an increased amount come playoffs

Comment

You do realize that DeRozan for the most part was missing shots that he normally makes right?

#1: Comes off a Valanciunas screen and takes and misses a 16 foot jumper from the elbow with a weak contest from KG.
                        #2: Got the ball late in the clock and gets stopped by Livingston at the elbow with 3 seconds on the clock, has to take a bad turnaround fadeaway, misses
                        #5: Tough leaning shot here, misses, actually did a good job of penetrating though he was only like 5 feet away from the rim.
                        #6: Lowry gives him the pass for an open three late in the shot clock. He basically has to take this shot... Misses.
                        #7: Takes a contested corner 3 here. The Nets feed said it was a bad shot, but he shoots a very high percentage from that spot.
                        #8: Tries to draw a foul on Pierce on the jumper, bad shot and bad decision here.
                        #11: Not even sure wtf he was doing here, trying to be Kobe on this play and misses

I count 4 bad shots there, and one was taken with basically no time on the shot clock. Only one was completely out of the flow of the offense (#11) and maybe you could say the one on Pierce was as well, but he was trying to draw a foul. It would've probably worked if it wasn't a guy like Pierce (who does that to people all the time) guarding him.

Say he makes shot #3 (wide open corner three) then he doesn't even take shot #4 (would've been no rebound), the layup against Blatche (#10) and the first shot that was off a pick which he makes regularly. All of a sudden he's 6-12 with 21 points.

I think his statement that he "just missed shots" isn't 100% of the story but it is pretty accurate. If he made a few of those ones that he normally was he would've had a much better game. Obviously, yes he took some bad shots, but I think every player does that an increased amount come playoffs
                        derozan does not "normally" make 3's. He took 4 3's in this game that you say were good shots. They are not good shots for derozan especially in the playoffs and I cringe everytime he takes them. the 2 open 3's were still bad shots because we were in a stretch where all we were doing was taking jump shots and he had a wide open lane to the basket. so imo that makes 8 bad shots which is unacceptable in a playoff game. Hell, 4 bad shots is unacceptable! this is the playoffs, u cant just give possessions away cause u wanna be kobe.

Comment

• FoxMachine wrote: View Post
                          derozan does not "normally" make 3's. He took 4 3's in this game that you say were good shots. They are not good shots for derozan especially in the playoffs and I cringe everytime he takes them. the 2 open 3's were still bad shots because we were in a stretch where all we were doing was taking jump shots and he had a wide open lane to the basket. so imo that makes 8 bad shots which is unacceptable in a playoff game. Hell, 4 bad shots is unacceptable! this is the playoffs, u cant just give possessions away cause u wanna be kobe.
                          2 of those threes were CORNER THREES. DeRozan shoots over 40% from the corners, so yes that is a shot that he normally makes. This is something you would notice just from watching games, you don't even need stats to tell you that he is effective from that spot.

I didn't say all 4 threes were good shots. Two were great shots (the 2 open corner threes). The contested one was an ok shot, not great. The one off the pass from Lowry was a necessary shot because there was hardly any time on the shot clock.

As usual you're not making any sense...

Comment

• I'm not saying DeMar played well or excusing his poor play in that game btw. But it's not like he was just forcing up prayers all game, that's my point.

Comment

2 of those threes were CORNER THREES. DeRozan shoots over 40% from the corners, so yes that is a shot that he normally makes. This is something you would notice just from watching games, you don't even need stats to tell you that he is effective from that spot.

I didn't say all 4 threes were good shots. Two were great shots (the 2 open corner threes). The contested one was an ok shot, not great. The one off the pass from Lowry was a necessary shot because there was hardly any time on the shot clock.

As usual you're not making any sense...
                              Looking at your list, I'm guessing #7 is the corner 3 when he had 2 guys in his face but lost his dribble so jacked up the trey?

If so, that wasn't a good shot. Yes he is trapped, but with his athleticism, he should be able to elevate over the defence and find the open man on the perimeter. If he was Durant, or Curry or even Korver, that shot is ok, but he isn't a marksman. He needed to make the heady play there and make the defence pay for doubling him by finding the open teammate (either directly or indirectly).

Overall though, I agree that Demar didn't take a ton of bad shots, but he did have too many for a playoff game. He was pressing, which isn't a surprise. The whole team kinda was though, so that's not wholly on Demar, but as a leader, it's up to him to lead by example. I expect a much better game from DD in game 2. I also hope that the refs let Ross play this game, cause we could certainly use him.
                              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

i remember seeing this at the game and it was just sad. hes actually a pretty good corner 3 shooter and missing both when he was wide open just told you immediately he wasn't going to have a good shooting night.

Comment

Working...
                                X