Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• russellhantz wrote: View Post
    I was hoping someone would ask this. Raptors w/ Demar vs Raptors w/ Batum. Which team makes it further in the playoffs?
    wondering the same thing lol. Honestly, probably depends more on JV going forward than either of those guys, but you gotta think this team with Batum would utilize JV more than present. Nonetheless, I like Demar at his deal more than Batum at his. And hey, there's always the chance that Lowry and Demar work JV more into the offense this season, and if so, I'd definitely prefer Demar.

Comment

• russellhantz wrote: View Post
      I was hoping someone would ask this. Raptors w/ Demar vs Raptors w/ Batum. Which team makes it further in the playoffs?
      I prefer Batum to DeMar. Simply think he's an easier fit.

But I get the argument the other way. DeMar's better than Batum with the ball in his hands, Batum's better at most other things. Really depends what you want.
      twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• DeMar DeRozan defines what it means to be a Toronto Raptor:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...oronto-raptor/
        Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
            DeMar DeRozan defines what it means to be a Toronto Raptor:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...oronto-raptor/
            lol grange knows what side his bread is buttered on.

In my book the most impressive thing DeRozan accomplished this past season wasn’t fighting through his post-season struggles to average 32, four and four in the Raptors’ two home wins over the NBA champion Cleveland Cavaliers in the Eastern Conference Finals, but that in Game 7 against the Indiana Pacers – a game the Raptors absolutely had to win to advance past the first round for the first time in 15 years – DeRozan took 32 shots, making only 10.

Not pretty and the Raptors’ next stage as a team will be having other players feel comfortable taking on that responsibility and DeRozan sharing it, but that he was willing to shoulder that load at that moment spoke volumes about his willingness to risk failure in order to succeed.

Comment

• Add that all up, and this looks like a classic “They had to do it” agreement. On the bright side, DeRozan largely earned his money, even though he struggled mightily at times during the postseason, and he certainly could have used his leverage to push harder for a full max. On the downside, DeRozan is set to become one of the league’s highest-paid players just a few months after he shot below 41% in 10 of his first 11 playoff games and during an era in which his most glaring weakness, three-point shooting, gets more glaring by the year.

From Toronto’s perspective, this deal is worthy of relief, but not really celebration. DeRozan, meanwhile, can get on with the bottle popping.

Grade: C
              http://www.si.com/nba/2016/07/01/dem...des-kyle-lowry

Comment

• The bit before his final conclusion is also worth noting:
                There are, however, a few reasonable justifications for Ujiri’s expenditure:

One: DeRozan will return to a defined role on a deep and balanced roster so this isn’t a case of a flawed player being forced to do more than he can handle to live up to his cap figure.

Two: Toronto has waited 20+ years for this type of success and losing DeRozan, a central player, at this peak would be crushing.

Three: The East’s landscape is unlikely to radically change this summer, a fact that reinforces the idea that Toronto should keep the band together and make the most of its current window.

Four: The five-year term, while the longest currently allowed by league rules, only carries DeRozan to age 31, so he should be a contributing player throughout the deal’s duration.

Five: Ujiri has shown a knack for moving big-salaried, polarizing players in the past and DeRozan’s contract should be a liquid piece if Toronto’s window happens to close abruptly in a year or two.
                Its not a bad deal. Saved $13M off the Max. Its just not quite what we'd hoped for. I'd give it a B or a B-.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                  The bit before his final conclusion is also worth noting:

Its not a bad deal. Saved $13M off the Max. Its just not quite what we'd hoped for. I'd give it a B or a B-.
                  His conclusion is about where I'm coming to. I'm ok with it, I don't love it, but it is what it is.

Nothing to get excited about, but it's not worth getting upset about either.

Comment

• certainly a bit of an overpay, but so is beals and batums, and likely more to come. it is what it is and you dont take the chance he speaks to other teams. I would have preferred him at 25M or under, but if beal is getting more than that then so be it. Kinda crazy, but in todays market Carroll is 20M+, and Lowry and JV are 25M+, Patterson, Cojo, Ross and Biz are all arguably 15M+....crazy times!

Comment

• Personally I think it's a bad deal. He's a very flawed player and I do think the Raptors could have survived without him. But c'est la vie. So far I give this offseason a C-.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                        Personally I think it's a bad deal. He's a very flawed player and I do think the Raptors could have survived without him. But c'est la vie. So far I give this offseason a C-.
                        I'm not a fan of this deal either, especially given how Charlotte retained Batum for, but Masai backed himself into a corner. Now he has to navigate free agency armed with minimal cap room and only the MLE to offer, unless he starts trading guys.

Comment

• Atothe wrote: View Post
                          Baseball has no salary cap so I understand but this is strange. 28 million to your second best player is not smart
                          Third best. Maybe.

Comment

• Abbas wrote: View Post
                            Telling you guys now

This contact will be a steal

Now lets trade Carroll and Ross and go after KD lol
                            How do I ignore Abbas?

Comment

• Sinbad wrote: View Post
                              I'm not a fan of this deal either, especially given how Charlotte retained Batum for, but Masai backed himself into a corner. Now he has to navigate free agency armed with minimal cap room and only the MLE to offer, unless he starts trading guys.
                              To be fair, if DeRozan signed for 4/70M, the statement above would be exactly the same. DeRozan's deal specifics have nothing to do with our ability to do stuff this summer.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                                That this board is not melting down is a testament to the distance that DeMar has come as a player. Remember when some used to argue he couldn't surpass a PER of 15?

Now that the game has slowed down for him, I do think he's set to see efficiencies as his usage comes down a tag. Not having to try so f---ing hard on O could pay dividends on D, so still expecting another level from him on that end.
                                Demar's shitty defence has nothing to do with him exerting too much energy on offence. Demar is just a below average defender. He has below average defensive talent. And he doesn't prioritize defence. Not one year have I heard him being determined to get better at playing the other 50% of the game. And why should he - look at that contract. I can only hope at some point he hopes to emulate Kobe's defence as well as his offence. Disappointed he got that much but I guess that's what the market is I suppose. Beal and Batum deals look better.

Comment

Working...
                                X