Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr.Z wrote: View Post
    I'm just curious, can we not love a player but also be able to accept that they have flaws and can still improve their game? Is that really such a crazy thing to do? God damnit, I don't get it.
    I guess you didn't get my point that what's so irritating is that it's constant and unrelenting criticism of ONE player, at a time when the team is playing so great, and that one player is a huge part of that success. Whether last night's game, or the last 14 games, he is very far from the most flawed, yet the only topic DeMar's flaws. It's like an obsession, and I don't get THAT.

Comment

• Every time I look at this thread I just see arguments after arguments about the same thing hahah I just even bother to post on this thread because someone is gonna force there opinion on me looool
      "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• 4hunnit_degreez wrote: View Post
        Every time I look at this thread I just see arguments after arguments about the same thing hahah I just even bother to post on this thread because someone is gonna force there opinion on me looool

Comment

• p00ka wrote: View Post
          I guess you didn't get my point that what's so irritating is that it's constant and unrelenting criticism of ONE player, at a time when the team is playing so great, and that one player is a huge part of that success. Whether last night's game, or the last 14 games, he is very far from the most flawed, yet the only topic DeMar's flaws. It's like an obsession, and I don't get THAT.
          Think of it this way. Every thread topic is going to have 2 sides to the argument, regardless of whether the team is winning or losing.

If a thread is discussing whether DeRozan belongs within the league's Top 5, doesn't it make sense that the discussion will involve both his strengths and weaknesses?

Comment

Isn't it natural for the team's primary player to garner the most attention, positive or negative? The face of the franchise is bound to have certain expectations heaped on them, fairly or unfairly, which only compounds the problem. Just ask Bosh or Bargnani how weaknesses become magnified when you become 'the guy', and strengths/improvements get overlooked because they're suddenly just expected.

I don't think this phenomenon is isolated within the Raptors' fanbase, or even the NBA. That's just the nature of professional sports.

Comment

• Mr.Z wrote: View Post
              I'm just curious, can we not love a player but also be able to accept that they have flaws and can still improve their game? Is that really such a crazy thing to do? God damnit, I don't get it.
              Substitute "love" for like and I think you've got a really valid point. Love gets in to that fanatical state of mind so many get in to. But I can't throw stones, I love JV.... yet I still get recognize his post ups/seals are weak, he holds the ball too long after rebounds, he is too hestitant on his jumper, he slips far too many of his screens, his rotations - while getting better - are still often slow, etc.

I also find the inability of some posters to be flexible in their views as circumstances change to be confusing. For example, wanting to keep DeRozan but change his role on the team. Why? How could someone who criticized his lack of defense and ability to stretch the floor want to now suddenly "talk out of the side of his mouth" and keep said player but in a 6th man role? A simple reason: Terrence Ross' emergence after Gay trade. Prior to the trade, Gay and DeRozan were duplicates. It was assumed by me that DeRozan could be easier to trade and return more value than Gay especially after Gay became the laughingstock of the league. So Gay gets traded and Ross gets a chance. Just 3 weeks ago the chatter was all "Ross is a bust!" Now not so much. He is the 3 and D player I felt the Raptors needed.... and guess what! Now they have him - hoo-ray! But a problem still remains: DeRozan is as inefficient as ever. Sure he will have his games where he is incredible (like versus Miami.... however sidenote: he is a jump shooter who becomes less effectives as the game goes on as evident by 9-11 start and 2-8 finish but I digress) but over an 82 game season and playoffs the averages are going to even out. Once those averages even out suddenly a primary scoring option getting just 1.15 PPS matters.... sorry. People want to split hairs, look at the exceptions, or make excuses why DeRozan will work as a number 1 option when there is little to nothing other than blind fanaticism that backs it up except finding highly efficient scoring options all around him (like Portland with Aldridge and then Lillard, Matthews, Batum, and Lopez). Now DeRozan would be an extremely expensive 6th man gunner of the bench at $9.5M - no doubt. But it is not unheard of. Manu made some serious coin in the same role in San Antonio.... and seriously if it is good enough for Manu, shouldn't it be good enough for DeRozan? Isn't winning what matters? Personally I think DeRozan's strengths are one of the easiest to replace in the league however he currently fits with team - and that is what matters. The chemistry and intangibles are there so why not look to keep him? Now maybe the movement to a 6th man role alters things.... who knows? But if the winning continues while he suffers, he can be replaced if he is not happy winning. If the losing returns while he suffers, well, another Gay-like trade might be in the Raptors future (not saying DeRozan is the Gay in this situation btw). If the winning continues and he thrives, you likely have a legit contender.

Anyways..... whatever lol

Comment

• One thing everyone needs you understand is that in no way, shape or form Demar Derozan is not a #1 option on a contending team. The raptors management always had a problem of making players #1 options when they weren't ala Chris bosh, Andrea bargnani and the fan base believing that these guys were true #1 options
                "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                  Think of it this way. Every thread topic is going to have 2 sides to the argument, regardless of whether the team is winning or losing.

If a thread is discussing whether DeRozan belongs within the league's Top 5, doesn't it make sense that the discussion will involve both his strengths and weaknesses?
                  Yes, of course, but when there's 15 different threads talking of his strengths and weaknesses, and he's the only player in such discussions 95% of the time, it's a tad over the top. As an example that I've used, JV's poor rebounding, when he's the biggest guy on the floor, was a much bigger factor in that loss than a couple of shot selections from DeMar last night. Do you see any discussion about that? Naw, but there's several threads going on about DeMar's weaknesses/ranking/whatever. He's the ONLY one being broken down ALL the time. Some people still going on about him being one-dimensional even. Talking of any player's flaws isn't a problem. It's that it's a very overwhelming topic here, about 1 player, when the kid is playing great even. Sorry, I find it sad, and need to express my misgivings about.

Comment

• Lordy. Voila, but I must avoid the "vendetta", even though there's yet another backdoor jab/taunt in there.

Comment

Yes, of course, but when there's 15 different threads talking of his strengths and weaknesses, and he's the only player in such discussions 95% of the time, it's a tad over the top. As an example that I've used, JV's poor rebounding, when he's the biggest guy on the floor, was a much bigger factor in that loss than a couple of shot selections from DeMar last night. Do you see any discussion about that? Naw, but there's several threads going on about DeMar's weaknesses/ranking/whatever. He's the ONLY one being broken down ALL the time. Some people still going on about him being one-dimensional even. Talking of any player's flaws isn't a problem. It's that it's a very overwhelming topic here, about 1 player, when the kid is playing great even. Sorry, I find it sad, and need to express my misgivings about.
                      Start a thread on JV's rebounding, then. It's an open forum.

CRF mentioned it earlier: Derozan is currently the alpha dog on the Raptors -- he's going to necessarily take the bulk of any criticism, same way Bosh and Bargnani did in the past. If that's unpalatable to you, you're in for a rough ride -- until Toronto gets that still-missing elite player.
                      Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

I think it has to do with the fact that one of his worst flaws - shooting forced, contested jumpers - is maybe the easiest bad play to recognize in basketball, and therefore the easiest to criticize.

And, given that both the position he plays and his spot at the top of the team's offensive pecking order tend to generate forced, contested jump shots - in addition to whatever forced, contested jumpers he may take that have nothing to do with either of the circumstances mentioned above - it makes him a ripe, easy target.

FWIW, probably my main reservation of DeMar as a valuable NBA player was that he would always just disappear during important stretches in important games. The way he played at the end of that Indiana game though, was incredible. We'd never seen him do anything close to that, and of any growth that he's made this year, I'd say that that was by far the most important and impressive.

And he carried it over to the first half of the Heat game. Played with a super confident, "I've got this" vibe that he's only ever shown in the Drew league before. He didn't shoot so well in the fourth, but when you have those freaking demonic Miami defenders tearing all over the court, you can't really blame the guy.
                        "Stop eating your sushi."
                        "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                        "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• jimmie wrote: View Post

CRF mentioned it earlier: Derozan is currently the alpha dog on the Raptors -- he's going to necessarily take the bulk of any criticism, same way Bosh and Bargnani did in the past. If that's unpalatable to you, you're in for a rough ride -- until Toronto gets that still-missing elite player.
                          But even an elite player is not likely to stem the criticism - not necessarily from me, I'm talking in general.

Look at LeBron. It has only been the last two seasons when he finally won that his critics quieted. But even after his first championship there were still some. Now that he has 2 championships under his belt and he continues to evolve and become more efficient you barely hear a peep.

Comment

Because he's most fans favorite player on the team, he is the flashiest, the most noticeable on the court at times and is arguably the best player on the team. That is why he is focused on so much more.
                            You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

• jimmie wrote: View Post

Won't be much of a thread. Most games this season he's been our biggest force on the glass. Even sometimes when his numbers aren't great, his mere presence makes it hard for the other team to really own the glass.

And yeah, the DeMar discussion is what it is, largely because he's our default go-to guy. Still, as someone raised this point a bit earlier in this thread, he's surpassed my expectations given how raw he was as a prospect. He was completely raw with no real basketball skills when we drafted him. The fact that he didn't "bust" or end up a super-limited player is at least noteworthy, regardless of any criticisms people might have against him.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                                Won't be much of a thread. Most games this season he's been our biggest force on the glass. Even sometimes when his numbers aren't great, his mere presence makes it hard for the other team to really own the glass.

And yeah, the DeMar discussion is what it is, largely because he's our default go-to guy. Still, as someone raised this point a bit earlier in this thread, he's surpassed my expectations given how raw he was as a prospect. He was completely raw with no real basketball skills when we drafted him. The fact that he didn't "bust" or end up a super-limited player is at least noteworthy, regardless of any criticisms people might have against him.
                                Kudos again to his work ethic.
                                This is also why I think he is analyzed so hard, we've all seen how far he has come as a player, I don't believe any reason why he can't become even better because he has showed he doesn't let anything really get in the way of his own development. He's played on some fuckin shitty Raptor teams and he has still just kept slowly working on his game and getting better every year. And this year he's exceeded a lot of expectations so far. So, it's very exciting to watch along with the rest of the team. There's just a few things he needs to work on still, that's all lol
                                You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Working...
                                X