Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
    I've said it before. I prefer ball movement to ISO, but at no point has anyone shown me that one or the other is the better way to win ball games in regular season or in the playoffs. You play to the strength of your players, and if you don't have knock down shooters like GS and Spurs and you have guys that are better with the ball in their hands then perhaps that's the way you go. At least that is the reasoning I see with how this team runs their offence.

Also I think that ISO should not be synonymous with selfish play. LeBron is one of the least selfish players in the league and is constantly in ISO plays. And Cav's easily beat a good movement team in the Hawks in the playoffs. As many have already mentioned, DeMar's decision making has gotten better, but he is still doing it within and ISO offence.

You need elite talent to expect any success with an ISO offense.

DeRozan, nor Lowry, are elite.

It's a team game. It should be played as such.

Comment

• I can't believe how good DD is this year, wouldn't have bet on it in a million years.

PER 21.3
      TS% .548
      WS 4.3 (surpassed last seasons WS in half the games played)
      WS/48 .169
      ORtg 111
      DRtg 106
      AST% 22.0

He's very clearly the 3rd best SG in the league after Harden and Butler. I was a full blown Derozan hater last year but he has converted me to the flock. Would love to see what new heights he soars to under a new coach.

Last night, halfway through the 4th when Derozan and Lowry were subbed back in we reverted to the worst fucking Iso game I've ever seen. Derozan went 0-3 FG in the 4th shooting nothing but turnaround fadeaway jumpers, a total reversal from the rest of the game. Lowry also went 0-3 FG, as the entire offense became Iso Derozan or Lowry tough shots. Casey is a fucking idiot and almost pissed away the game.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
        I can't believe how good DD is this year, wouldn't have bet on it in a million years.

PER 21.3
        TS% .548
        WS 4.3 (surpassed last seasons WS in half the games played)
        WS/48 .169
        ORtg 111
        DRtg 106
        AST% 22.0

He's very clearly the 3rd best SG in the league after Harden and Butler. I was a full blown Derozan hater last year but he has converted me to the flock. Would love to see what new heights he soars to under a new coach.

Last night, halfway through the 4th when Derozan and Lowry were subbed back in we reverted to the worst fucking Iso game I've ever seen. Derozan went 0-3 FG in the 4th shooting nothing but turnaround fadeaway jumpers, a total reversal from the rest of the game. Lowry also went 0-3 FG, as the entire offense became Iso Derozan or Lowry tough shots. Casey is a fucking idiot and almost pissed away the game.
        Last night was a great example of worst case/best case DeMar. He opened the game 1/2 with 2 assists. Halfway through the third he was 4/16 with 3 assists and 3 turnovers. At the end of the third he was 9/21 with 5 assists and 3 turnovers. Missed his last 3 shots.

He alternated good DeMar/bad DeMar all game. His supporters will only see the positive stat sheet, but he definitely had some awful stretches. Thankfully the whistle was friendly to him, and he found his shot for a vital stretch of the third. Credit to him for fighting through a bad shooting stretch.

He's still a top 30 talent, top 20 offensive guy. But bad DeMar still shows signs of showing up sometimes.
        twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post

They're not KD and Westbrook for sure, but they might be closer to that than the rest of the team is to being elite shooters with high basketball IQ.

It is a team game and should be played as such. But that is an opinion and not a fact...so many ways to skin a cat, as the saying goes. However as I alluded to...ISO does not mean selfish. This year the eye test tells me that both KL and DD are looking to make the pass off an ISO play when the good shot isn't there to be taken. KL has always been open to passing and now DD's game is at a point where passing out of a play is becoming more natural to him (sometimes it takes some players longer for the skill to catch up to physical talent). Neither guy seems selfish to me.

On the plus side, looking at the players MU brought in over the summer and signed for multiple years.. Cojo and DC...high IQ, capable of making a 3 point shot, and can defend. Another summer of those sort of acquisitions and the roster might be much more capable of leaning towards the movement offence which I think most here (including myself) enjoy watching.

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
            Last night was a great example of worst case/best case DeMar. He opened the game 1/2 with 2 assists. Halfway through the third he was 4/16 with 3 assists and 3 turnovers. At the end of the third he was 9/21 with 5 assists and 3 turnovers. Missed his last 3 shots.

He alternated good DeMar/bad DeMar all game. His supporters will only see the positive stat sheet, but he definitely had some awful stretches. Thankfully the whistle was friendly to him, and he found his shot for a vital stretch of the third. Credit to him for fighting through a bad shooting stretch.

He's still a top 30 talent, top 20 offensive guy. But bad DeMar still shows signs of showing up sometimes.
            I'm hoping he continues to develop his game from a mental stand point, but I think you will always see a bit of bad DeMar here and there. He's not an elite talent, but being asked to fulfil that role on this team.

Comment

You need elite talent to win a championship. That's why Cleveland swept ATL last year. Doesn't matter what system you play. If you don't have elite talent your not winning a championship.
              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                You need elite talent to win a championship. That's why Cleveland swept ATL last year. Doesn't matter what system you play. If you don't have elite talent your not winning a championship.
                Everybody likes to point to the '04 Pistons but you can argue that nobody that the '14 Spurs were really "elite".

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post

At least his bad shots early in the game involved driving to the basket where he usually gets the foul call. His late game shots were all terrible turnaround fade away jumpers from 18+ feet, shots he basically never makes. You could see the offense shift when Casey put Lowry and Derozan back in halfway through the 4th. Casey clearly wants a straight up iso Derozan or Lowry offense to end games, despite the fact it routinely causes us to blow leads and nearly lose (or sometimes lose). Casey is so weird, it's like he's doing well but then can't resist to shoot himself in the foot. Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer was suing the Mr. Big heiress and had the case won, but at the end insisted she try on the bra which did not fit and he lost his case.

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
                    Everybody likes to point to the '04 Pistons but you can argue that nobody that the '14 Spurs were really "elite".
                    Spurs team had arguably 3 hall of famers and Kawhi Leonard who becoming an elite talent.

Pistons had the best defense in the league. As long you play D your always be in the game. Its up to your players to make plays and Mr. Big Shot made a lot of them.
                    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                      Spurs team had arguably 3 hall of famers and Kawhi Leonard who becoming an elite talent.

Pistons had the best defense in the league. As long you play D your always be in the game. Its up to your players to make plays and Mr. Big Shot made a lot of them.
                      Spurs didn't have an elite talent in 2014, Leonard is becoming one now. And the Pistons didn't have an elite talent either, just 5 really, really good starters.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                        At least his bad shots early in the game involved driving to the basket where he usually gets the foul call. His late game shots were all terrible turnaround fade away jumpers from 18+ feet, shots he basically never makes. You could see the offense shift when Casey put Lowry and Derozan back in halfway through the 4th. Casey clearly wants a straight up iso Derozan or Lowry offense to end games, despite the fact it routinely causes us to blow leads and nearly lose (or sometimes lose). Casey is so weird, it's like he's doing well but then can't resist to shoot himself in the foot. Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer was suing the Mr. Big heiress and had the case won, but at the end insisted she try on the bra which did not fit and he lost his case.
                        Love a good Seinfeld analogy.. except it was the caddy that gave Kramer that advise that backfired. So it would be like Nick Nurse whispering in Casey's ear to play KL/DD ISO ball in the fourth.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
                          Spurs didn't have an elite talent in 2014, Leonard is becoming one now. And the Pistons didn't have an elite talent either, just 5 really, really good starters.
                          Didn't say either team did. Those guys are the exception. Not the rule.
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                            Love a good Seinfeld analogy.. except it was the caddy that gave Kramer that advise that backfired. So it would be like Nick Nurse whispering in Casey's ear to play KL/DD ISO ball in the fourth.
                            Might be but the terrible offense has been with Casey since he started. When Nurse came in there was more ball movement. The issue is that in crunch time the offense regresses

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
                              Duncan was elite, Ginobili pretty close to elite.
                              If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

To be fair and objective, the last 2 years in playoffs gives this concern serious legitimacy.

But your last sentence is spot on
                                sent from my iphone?

Comment

Working...
                                X