• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
    lol

O know I can shoot it I just dont.

Comment

• I will say though, I think this is more DeMar's team than Lowry's. DeMar has the higher usage, higher minutes, and is the guy we go to more in the crunch.
      twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
        I will say though, I think this is more DeMar's team than Lowry's. DeMar has the higher usage, higher minutes, and is the guy we go to more in the crunch.
        It doesn't really matter whose team anyone thinks it is. Both of them were expected to show up in the playoffs and perform up to standard. Neither did, but the drop-off for Lowry was significantly worse.

Comment

• Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
          Yeah - like Anthony Davis should shoulder a large chunk of the blame for the Pelicans' fortunes. And like LeBron can't be that good because he's never won it all in Cleveland - and needs a host of other All Stars to get it done.

This is not "value added" analyis. Though I shrink from saying what it actually is, sir.
          Anthony Davis performs better than Demar, with far less talent around him.
          That excuses blame from him..

But you wanna know something?

So Alvin Gentry made it clear to the Pelicans forward during Saturday’s game at Dallas that he needed to do more.

“(Davis) was coasting a little bit,” Gentry told reporters after the game. “We really discussed playing a little bit harder during one of the timeouts. I thought he got upset and that triggered him, so I told him I’m going to yell at him every game now, if he can get going like that.”
          Source

so there is easily a top 5 player in the nba getting called out for personal/team performance.

Comment

• Jangles wrote: View Post
            A big part of why Demar wants to stay in Toronto likely revolves around Kyle. If we are shipping off Lowry, we fall back in the eastern conference significantly. Does Demar still want to stay in Toronto?
            If Lowry gets traded for an equal player at another position (PF), or is used to help move up in the draft (either Toronto's pick of the NY/Den pick), who's to say the Raps have to take a step back? They'd still have Joseph and Wright at the PG spot, with rights to Nando de Colo, as well as the possibility of drafting Murray (or another PG).

I don't get the idea that moving on from any particular player suddenly spells doom & gloom, as if MU isn't capable of effectively replacing that player with all the assets at his disposal.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
              If Lowry gets traded for an equal player at another position (PF), or is used to help move up in the draft (either Toronto's pick of the NY/Den pick), who's to say the Raps have to take a step back? They'd still have Joseph and Wright at the PG spot, with rights to Nando de Colo, as well as the possibility of drafting Murray (or another PG).

I don't get the idea that moving on from any particular player suddenly spells doom & gloom, as if MU isn't capable of effectively replacing that player with all the assets at his disposal.

we wouldnt fall any less than If we moved Demar in the same capacity.

Comment

• Snooch wrote: View Post
                Anthony Davis performs better than Demar, with far less talent around him.
                That excuses blame from him..

But you wanna know something?

Source

so there is easily a top 5 player in the nba getting called out for personal/team performance.
                Something is off with Davis this year, and it's not just his production. Of all the things you can criticize DeMar for, effort and good intentions have never been on the list. That's the question mark with Davis right now. He might be getting tired of the situation in NO.
                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                  Something is off with Davis this year, and it's not just his production. Of all the things you can criticize DeMar for, effort and good intentions have never been on the list. That's the question mark with Davis right now. He might be getting tired of the situation in NO.
                  Still, the question of accountability has always been one of Casey's issues. DeMar/Kyle can take possessions off/have awful offensive possessions and know they'll never be held accountable for it with Casey as the coach.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post

Here's the problem - it is REALLY hard to find players, at any position, who are as good as Lowry who would be available (even if moving Lowry, who has only one year left on his deal after this one).

I've said for a couple years now and I still believe it fully - if the Raptors move Lowry, they WILL be immediately worse, and any such move must be made with the intention of getting worse in the short term and hoping to collect assets that will make us better in the long term.

But even if we put that aside, trading Lowry for a draft pick or a lesser player (or even a couple lesser players - there's almost no way you actually upgrade in terms of talent in a Lowry trade) sends a bad signal to a guy like DeMar - even if in theory the team might get better, it is doubtful DeMar or his agent will see it that way. It is the one thing I could see causing DeMar to actually skip town even if there was a competitive offer from MU.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                      Here's the problem - it is REALLY hard to find players, at any position, who are as good as Lowry who would be available (even if moving Lowry, who has only one year left on his deal after this one).

I've said for a couple years now and I still believe it fully - if the Raptors move Lowry, they WILL be immediately worse, and any such move must be made with the intention of getting worse in the short term and hoping to collect assets that will make us better in the long term.

But even if we put that aside, trading Lowry for a draft pick or a lesser player (or even a couple lesser players - there's almost no way you actually upgrade in terms of talent in a Lowry trade) sends a bad signal to a guy like DeMar - even if in theory the team might get better, it is doubtful DeMar or his agent will see it that way. It is the one thing I could see causing DeMar to actually skip town even if there was a competitive offer from MU.
                      Then the question is, what's the probability that DeMar leaves anyways? Because he's going to keep saying the right things to keep his options open, but you have to at least consider it a possibility.

Comment

I agree about the likely straight-up return via trade, as well as the message being sent (to a point). However, with the other assets at his disposal, I think MU could do very well mitigating the loss (of Lowry or DeRozan), between shifting usage around and adding new/improved players.

I have read the reports that DeRozan requested a trade a couple years back, had the Lowry trade gone through with NY. I think the situations are completely different between that Raptors team and the current one. That team was clearly making such a move to tank and rebuild. This team would be looking to retool, as they move on from a player who is a few years older and much more banged up, on the cusp of demanding a huge salary increase. This team also has Joseph, Wright and possibly Murray (or another highly touted PG draft pick) ready to step in, whereas the Raptors had no such replacements a few years back. This team has many solid young prospects, draft picks and cap space at its disposal, while that team a few years back had only a tank to rely on.

I also assume a new coach would be brought it, which would also breath fresh life into the team and hopefully make it much more effective on the court, while getting more out of a couple key players (ie: JV, along with Carroll, Ross and Patterson to a lesser extent).

As long as MU were to talk to DeRozan and explain his strategy, I really don't think it would be a big deal. Again, it would come down to effective asset management for the long-term, just like re-signing DeRozan to whatever he wants is likely going to be (it makes me a little sick to write that).

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                          Still, the question of accountability has always been one of Casey's issues. DeMar/Kyle can take possessions off/have awful offensive possessions and know they'll never be held accountable for it with Casey as the coach.
                          This "not holding DD/KL accountable" seems to be a common refrain around here. How do you know that? Because he doesn't yank them right away, or publicly rip into them? You don't know what goes on during time-outs or on the bench, or in the locker room, or on the practice court.

I read someone here recently saying that a head coach's primary job is X's and O's. I disagree. Coaching staffs have offensive and defensive coordinators to carry the bulk of that load. The head coach's primary job is managing 15 different player personalities, and 6 assistant coach personalities. You cannot deal with every player the same way, but it's foolish to ignore the overall style of the organization when evaluating how "accountability" is managed. Just as MU keeps things very close to the vest, so does Casey, so don't state as fact that he doesn't hold players accountable because you don't see public displays of it. Tell me, has Kyle become a much better player since coached by Casey? Has DeMar become a much better player since coached by Casey? But it's constantly stated as fact here that he doesn't hold them accountable. Something doesn't fit.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                            I agree, but an implication was made that Davis and Lebron shouldnt get blamed.

Comment

Is anyone saying that they will offer DD the max no matter how he plays from here on out?

I think everyone is saying they would offer DD the max (or somewhere around there) IF he maintains his current play through the entire season AND into the playoffs.
                              I think Demar gets a max offer from another team regardless of how the rest of the season plays out. Teams will see the way he is currently playing and convince themselves that they can put him in the position to replicate it over a longer period.

So are people putting caveats on Demar's a done deal based on what happens in the playoffs? If he plays great and we get swept, what next? If he plays mediocre and we reach the second round (or more), what next?

I don't believe our team's playoff success will dictate the offer from Brooklyn or LA, but it might give us cause for concern.
                              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                                I think Demar gets a max offer from another team regardless of how the rest of the season plays out. Teams will see the way he is currently playing and convince themselves that they can put him in the position to replicate it over a longer period.

So are people putting caveats on Demar's a done deal based on what happens in the playoffs? If he plays great and we get swept, what next? If he plays mediocre and we reach the second round (or more), what next?

I don't believe our team's playoff success will dictate the offer from Brooklyn or LA, but it might give us cause for concern.
                                For sure, he'll be getting a max offer. Ultimately, how the Raptors respond should be based on the team's success. If the team can succeed in the playoffs with DeMar playing well (frankly if he returns to last year's form I cannot imagine the team winning a round, so I don't feel the need to consider the repercussions of such an occurrence), then they make a max offer as well (again, not the true max offer but an offer that matches or slightly exceeds what another team can offer), and in theory retain him. If the team cannot succeed with DeMar playing well, or he plays poorly and proves once again he doesn't have an offensive game compatible with the playoffs, the team lets him walk and sells Lowry and resets around JV. If the team can't succeed with DD playing really well then the current set-up is completely broken, and if he can't play well in the playoffs, then the team cannot sign him to a big deal and hope to have success.

Seems really straightforward to me.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X