Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everything Demar Derozan

Lots of posters making things up.

Casey holds plenty of players accountable. JJ, TR, JV, PPat, etc.

Just because he doesn't do it publicly with DD and Lowry doesn't mean that he's not doing it in his own way. Everyone is just speculating....

He held Lowry accountable when we had Calderon..... everyone seems to dismiss this fact. He liked ball movement then.....

Now Lowry's an all-star player.

Why would he bench Demar and Kyle when we clearly can't win without those two?? They are clearly our best players....it seems silly that he should treat those two like the others. Did Carlisle bench Dirk when he plays poor defence? Pretty sure they went out and got a defensive C like Chandler to cover up his defensive short comings. That's just how the NBA works.

Say what you want about Pop, but he also gives more rope to his star players. All coaches do! Some of you are acting like he treated guys like Cory the same as he treated Tim Duncan....lol. Be honest guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by special1; Sun Jan 24, 2016, 02:11 PM.

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post
      Lots of posters making things up.

Casey holds plenty of players accountable. JJ, TR, JV, PPat, etc.

Just because he doesn't do it publicly with DD and Lowry doesn't mean that he's not doing it in his own way. Everyone is just speculating....

He held Lowry accountable when we had Calderon..... everyone seems to dismiss this fact. He liked ball movement then.....

Now Lowry's an all-star player.

Why would he bench Demar and Kyle when we clearly can't win without those two?? They are clearly our best players....it seems silly that he should treat those two like the others. Did Carlisle bench Dirk when he plays poor defence? Pretty sure they went out and got a defensive C like Chandler to cover up his defensive short comings. That's just how the NBA works.

Say what you want about Pop, but he also gives more rope to his star players. All coaches do! Some of you are acting like he treated guys like Cory the same as he treated Tim Duncan....lol. Be honest guys.

You're acting like DeMar and Kyle are Dirk and Duncan. They aren't.

They're good, Kyle's a top 10-15 guy, DeMar's a top 20-30 guy. Duncan is a top 5-10 guy ALL TIME. Dirk is a top 20 or so guy ALL TIME.
      twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

Barolt wrote: View Post
        You're acting like DeMar and Kyle are Dirk and Duncan. They aren't.

They're good, Kyle's a top 10-15 guy, DeMar's a top 20-30 guy. Duncan is a top 5-10 guy ALL TIME. Dirk is a top 20 or so guy ALL TIME.
        So what?? What's your point? They mean the same to us don't they? They are our Timmy and Dirk.... The best players on the team.

They are all-star players just like those guys were.

Why don't we wait until their careers are finishing up before we label them? Unless you have a crystal ball somewhere and you know exactly how their careers will end up....

Last edited by special1; Sun Jan 24, 2016, 02:16 PM.

Comment

• FWIW Casey did actually bench all the starters last year against the Bucks.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...fall-to-bucks/

Comment

So what?? What's your point? They mean the same to us don't they? They are our Timmy and Dirk.... The best players on the team.

They are all-star players just like those guys were.

Why don't we wait until their careers are finishing up before we label them? Unless you have a crystal ball somewhere and you know exactly how their careers will end up....

Neither Kyle or DeMar has the possibility of having a career as good as Duncan or Dirk. Let's not kid ourselves.

They're our best players, sure. They aren't our 'Timmy and Dirk', because they haven't had anywhere near the level of success required for those comparisons.

Comment

Neither Kyle or DeMar has the possibility of having a career as good as Duncan or Dirk. Let's not kid ourselves.

They're our best players, sure. They aren't our 'Timmy and Dirk', because they haven't had anywhere near the level of success required for those comparisons.
              Semantics.

The point was they're our best players BY FAR.

They're not getting benched... So you can get over it now. If he benches Demar or Lowry, you can guarantee he won't be back next year.

Is there anyone who will acknowledge that this team exceeded expectations (with our starting SF and C missing significant games)?

We have a legitimate shot at getting first place in the eastern conference (2.5 games behind the struggling Cavs and 3 games ahead of the 3rd place Bulls).

I understand that people just don't like the guy, but seriously? The hate is sooo unwarranted this season. I don't see an issue with this accountability issue you guys are bringing up. If there was an issue, we wouldn't be in this position.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post

Shooting that 3 pointer with confidence! 4/5 against the Heat.

We also haven't really seen that floater shot much from Demar that they show at around 1:10 the recap.

He's a bad man when he plays with this level of confidence.
                I'm just going to run through this:

End of 1st Q: Raps 31 - MIA 20 (+11)

DD - 6/9 FGA - 15 pts - 1 ast - 1/2 3pt - 12 mins

End of 2nd Q: Raps 60 - MIA 44 (+5)

DD - 3/7 FGA - 7 pts - 3 ast - 0/0 3pt - 5:53 mins
                DD Total - 9/15 FGA - 22 pts - 4 ast - 1/2 3pt - 17:49 mins

End of 3rd Q: Raps 80 - MIA 67 (-3)

DD - 2/7 FGA - 8 pts - 0 ast - 2/2 3 pt - 12 mins
                DD Total - 11/22 - 30 pts - 4 ast - 3/4 3pt - 29:49 mins

End of 4th: Raps 101 - MIA 81 (+7)

DD - 1/3 FGA - 3 pts - 0 ast - 1/1 3pt - 5:60 min

Total stat line:

12/25 - 33 pts - 4 ast - 4/5 3pt - 35:47 mins

What I see is 12 minutes of being hot....and 23 minutes of not so all-star ish

I get he had a great overall game...but to play devils advocate he really had a bad game, and a great first quarter

I agree with you, he was very, very good against Miami. I still don't really 'believe' in his above the break 3 at this point.

The interesting thing is that despite his leap this year, advanced stats still don't really 'love' him. I'm normally a stats guy, but with DeMar right now the eye test is telling me he's elite, but the stats still are kinda disagreeing a bit.

I enjoy watching it though, especially the little bit of DeMar/JV two man game we saw last night. That's incredibly tough to stop if we use it more, especially if DeMar uses it to create for JV.
                See my eye-opinion still says he isn't a good player. And defensively he is below average.

The stats are saying he is having a pretty good year offensively, but I don't think it is sustainable. I feel like on a nightly basis he is running the knifes edge between being the player you pay a lot of money for, and the player he has historically been (which you don't pay money for).

Honestly we need to see him in another system. But I think he takes a massive nose-dive in another system so think we should observe the implosion from another team.

Comment

The point was they're our best players BY FAR.
                  I'm going to disagree here. Every advanced stat and projection says that JV is our most talented player, he's just still young and underused.

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                    I'm just going to run through this:

End of 1st Q: Raps 31 - MIA 20 (+11)

DD - 6/9 FGA - 15 pts - 1 ast - 1/2 3pt - 12 mins

End of 2nd Q: Raps 60 - MIA 44 (+5)

DD - 3/7 FGA - 7 pts - 3 ast - 0/0 3pt - 5:53 mins
                    DD Total - 9/15 FGA - 22 pts - 4 ast - 1/2 3pt - 17:49 mins

End of 3rd Q: Raps 80 - MIA 67 (-3)

DD - 2/7 FGA - 8 pts - 0 ast - 2/2 3 pt - 12 mins
                    DD Total - 11/22 - 30 pts - 4 ast - 3/4 3pt - 29:49 mins

End of 4th: Raps 101 - MIA 81 (+7)

DD - 1/3 FGA - 3 pts - 0 ast - 1/1 3pt - 5:60 min

Total stat line:

12/25 - 33 pts - 4 ast - 4/5 3pt - 35:47 mins

What I see is 12 minutes of being hot....and 23 minutes of not so all-star ish

I get he had a great overall game...but to play devils advocate he really had a bad game, and a great first quarter

See my eye-opinion still says he isn't a good player. And defensively he is below average.

The stats are saying he is having a pretty good year offensively, but I don't think it is sustainable. I feel like on a nightly basis he is running the knifes edge between being the player you pay a lot of money for, and the player he has historically been (which you don't pay money for).

Honestly we need to see him in another system. But I think he takes a massive nose-dive in another system so think we should observe the implosion from another team.
                    Wow man, you could do that kind of analysis to any player in the league to try to make a great game look bad. He had a fantastic game and we beat the shit out of Miami, that's the bottom line.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                      Wow man, you could do that kind of analysis to any player in the league to try to make a great game look bad. He had a fantastic game and we beat the shit out of Miami, that's the bottom line.
                      He had a fantastic first quarter

The rest was meh/normal DD

also consider the "rest" was the vast majority.....

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                        No but he wasn't consistently great throughout the game so he didn't play well.... what utter nonsense.

Comment

• You make it seem like every other team but Toronto has a culture of accountability in place where if a player takes a less than optimal shot, the coach immediately pulls them from the game, reprimands them in front of the entire team and we don't hear from them again that game.

It's just not reality.

Watch any NBA game you'll see a ton of shots that would be considered bad, forced, etc. Pull ups in transition without rebounders in place, heat checks where a guy has made a couple so he forces another one up the next time he touches the ball, tough shots while being well defended where the smart play is probably a pass to an open teammate. And believe it or not, the coach doesn't go through the roof every time one happens and send a guy to the table to sub out the offender.

And this isn't meant to be a defence of DeRozan or Lowry's shot selection - obviously you'd love for every Raptor player to aspire to take the smartest shots possible - it's just a defence of blasting Casey once again for something that almost every other NBA coach of the last 30 years would be guilty of as well.
                          Last edited by Fully; Sun Jan 24, 2016, 03:46 PM.

Comment

I could do that same stupid analysis to every Lebron game too, so he must be a meh player. There is a reason absolutely no one looks at games in the manner you just did, it's stupid.

Comment

• Fully wrote: View Post
                              You make it seem like every other team but Toronto has a culture of accountability in place where if a player takes a less than optimal shot, the coach immediately pulls them from the game, reprimands them in front of the entire team and we don't hear from them again that game.

It's just not reality.

Watch any NBA game you'll see a ton of shots that would be considered bad, forced, etc. Pull ups in transition without rebounders in place, heat checks where a guy has made a couple so he forces another one up the next time he touches the ball, tough shots while being well defended where the smart play is probably a pass to an open teammate. And believe it or not, the coach doesn't go through the roof every time one happens and send a guy to the table to sub out the offender.

And this isn't meant to be a defence of DeRozan or Lowry's shot selection - obviously you'd love for every Raptor player to aspire to take the smartest shots possible - it's just a defence of blasting Casey once again for something that almost every other NBA coach of the last 30 years would be guilty of as well.
                              This... do people think that other teams in the league just play perfect basketball? I don't get it.

Comment

For the record, I thought I had noticed over a stretch that DeMar wasn't as good in the second half of games so I went and checked the stats, and they just don't support it. His Drtg is worse in the 4th quarter, but his Ortg is better. Slight decrease in net rating. His true shooting in the 4th quarter takes a slight dip, but not enough to be noticeable.

The biggest difference for DeMar in the 4th quarter? His assist rate drops from 21.3 to 14.7. But everyone has mentioned that we pass less in the 4th, so that's not surprising.

Comment

Working...
                                X