Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KHD wrote: View Post
    the numbers do match the eye test if you actually look at the right numbers.

Last year, 34% of his shots between 16ft and 3 (and career average 33%). This year 24%.

AKA less "dumbass shots".
    Thank you!

Comment

• Oh my, whats all this..... are people gloating about something here?

What exactly has happened with demar derozan that wasn't happening for the last 5 years?

Comment

• So, DD decrease his shot attempts from one area by 9%. Now he has totally change his game. Hmm I see....
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
          Oh my, whats all this..... are people gloating about something here?

What exactly has happened with demar derozan that wasn't happening for the last 5 years?
          Last year, 34% of his shots between 16ft and 3 (and career average 33%). This year 24%.

that was easy

Comment

• As a vocal DeMar critic, I'm pretty impressed with the season he's having. And really, it just comes down to his decision-making.

I will also admit I was one of those people who assumed DeRozan would never reach this level of play. Not because I thought he was physically unable to, but because I thought he was too stubborn to take better shots (aided further by Casey's stubbornness to force change). Remember all those "that's his game" comments from years past in references to the long-2s?

Anyway, I'm a Raptors fan first and foremost, and DeRozan is more than carrying his weight in helping the team win games this year. But I'm still torn on whether a max-contract is the best way to maintain competitiveness going forward. If there's a way to keep DeRozan without crippling our financial flexibility, I'm all ears.
            Last edited by Nilanka; Wed Feb 3, 2016, 11:56 AM.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
              So, DD decrease his shot attempts from one area by 9%. Now he has totally change his game. Hmm I see....

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                So, DD decrease his shot attempts from one area by 9%. Now he has totally change his game. Hmm I see....
                No actually you don't.

Less poor shits IN ADDITION to less forced shots no matter where they come from and more passing.

This isn't difficult stuff to grasp...never has been.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
                  Were the complaints about DeRozan that he should drive more? Or that his game was out-dated and that a SG needs to be able to shoot 3s, and as a result we should get rid of him for someone who can?

Just wondering.
                  I'm sure there were some who thought a 3 pointer was key.

But the biggest critiques I recall, and certainly my big sticking points with him, were a) jacking long two's, which has gone WAY down, b) not getting his teammates involved enough and regressing in that area after his big jump in 2013-14 (and again he is setting a career high in assist rate) and c) his defence, which through his career has migrated from terrible to acceptable for a major offensive contributor. The defence has been pretty steady over the past few years. It is the first two that a) are mostly (not entirely, but mostly) a mind-set issue, a decision making issue; and b) have dramatically improved this year.

I was always of the opinion (and am starting to hope I might be wrong here) that his 3 point shot would never come around but that he could still be a very good player if he simply stopped sabotaging himself with bad decision making (which may or may not have been spurred on by coaching, but since Casey is still here for his renaissance I don't know that that theory holds water anymore). Part of why I despised his game so much at times is because the issues were not with his talent, nor even his effort, just the decisions he would make during the game, which are so easily correctable! Hence the frustration.

And seeing him make better decisions and seeing his game go to new levels does bring a certain satisfaction, but not really about being right (as it seemed obvious, I'm not particularly proud of the observation, plus I doubted he would ever actually do it) - more so about being able to watch him play this way, which is significantly more enjoyable than what we had too watch him do last season.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                    No actually you don't.

Less poor shits IN ADDITION to less forced shots no matter where they come from and more passing.

This isn't difficult stuff to grasp...never has been.
                    LOL, Freudian slip

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                      LOL, Freudian slip
                      ISO JumpShit is a great band name.

Comment

• nice stat check my friend, but thats literally, nothing to me.

I suggest people watch games, and enjoy them. keep it simple. you'll start enjoying seeing little progressions every year. start understanding how a small change, that comes with years of effort can sometimes create those statistical changes you're pointing out.

I guess, I'm just a bit confused because....like what did you actually think was happening all that time? Are you surprised?

Why do people just admit that the reality is that they are, in the end, fans, and fans are impatient, so we bitch.

difference on this board..... there are guys that are impatient and bitch, but clearly state that they know a player will improve, or at least believe they have it in them.

As for derozan. Nothing he is doing should surprise anyone, he's been on this course for a long time and has never wavered. It didn't happen over night, and some silly shot stat isn't the magic pill, its just a result of a lot of hard work starting to come together. Part of that hard work is upstairs.

Comment

• Lol damn phone

But accurate nonetheless

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                            I'm sure there were some who thought a 3 pointer was key.

But the biggest critiques I recall, and certainly my big sticking points with him, were a) jacking long two's, which has gone WAY down, b) not getting his teammates involved enough and regressing in that area after his big jump in 2013-14 (and again he is setting a career high in assist rate) and c) his defence, which through his career has migrated from terrible to acceptable for a major offensive contributor. The defence has been pretty steady over the past few years. It is the first two that a) are mostly (not entirely, but mostly) a mind-set issue, a decision making issue; and b) have dramatically improved this year.

I was always of the opinion (and am starting to hope I might be wrong here) that his 3 point shot would never come around but that he could still be a very good player if he simply stopped sabotaging himself with bad decision making (which may or may not have been spurred on by coaching, but since Casey is still here for his renaissance I don't know that that theory holds water anymore). Part of why I despised his game so much at times is because the issues were not with his talent, nor even his effort, just the decisions he would make during the game, which are so easily correctable! Hence the frustration.

And seeing him make better decisions and seeing his game go to new levels does bring a certain satisfaction, but not really about being right (as it seemed obvious, I'm not particularly proud of the observation, plus I doubted he would ever actually do it) - more so about being able to watch him play this way, which is significantly more enjoyable than what we had too watch him do last season.
                            You said this to me during the offseason

DanH wrote: View Post
                            The reason the debate can't be a civil one is that posters like you state under rating as though it is a fact, immediately dismissing the other poster's opinion, and don't provide evidence of why DeRozan provides more than 6-8M of value to his team.

I'll start. DeRozan has consistently over the past couple years posted average impact ratings (RPM) and as such is an average player worth the average salary. Right now that average is about 6M, and it will go up to a little over 8M next summer.

See, evidence to support a claim. Now, that's clearly not the entire picture, but it's a concrete start that can be countered.

Comment

nice stat check my friend, but thats literally, nothing to me.

I suggest people watch games, and enjoy them. keep it simple. you'll start enjoying seeing little progressions every year. start understanding how a small change, that comes with years of effort can sometimes create those statistical changes you're pointing out.

I guess, I'm just a bit confused because....like what did you actually think was happening all that time? Are you surprised?

Why do people just admit that the reality is that they are, in the end, fans, and fans are impatient, so we bitch.

difference on this board..... there are guys that are impatient and bitch, but clearly state that they know a player will improve, or at least believe they have it in them.

As for derozan. Nothing he is doing should surprise anyone, he's been on this course for a long time and has never wavered. It didn't happen over night, and some silly shot stat isn't the magic pill, its just a result of a lot of hard work starting to come together. Part of that hard work is upstairs.
                              lol. that explains a lot.

Comment

nice stat check my friend, but thats literally, nothing to me.

Very well put.
                                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                                X