No announcement yet.

Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's a question, if people in the industry are generally considered smarter then the masses, how do you account for Stephen A. Smith and Chris Broussard?
    twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Yeah because Stephen A. Smith and Chris Broussard are idiots.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
        I like this. Subject matter experts deserve a large degree of deference, especially when they have access to information you don't have, so, people should be more modest (is that the right word?) in their proclamations. Having said that: subject matter experts are not always right and some are good at what they do and some aren't. If a SME is consistently wrong or unsuccessful as compared to his peers then it is fair for any observer to point that out. The idea that only other SMEs can legitimately criticize their peers is absurd and ludicrous.

As for Casey, I have always maintained that he takes way to much heat around these parts and there is an arrogance from certain people that pushes me to defend Casey more than I would otherwise. At the same time, there are legitimate criticisms of Casey that are presented here and elsewhere.
        Agreed 100% on Casey. Takes waaaay too much heat, gets not nearly enough credit, but there are areas for improvement.

On SMEs in general, also agreed there's a bell curve for them, for sure. But I don't see any signs that the guys in charge here (Ujiri, Casey and the rest) are 'bad' at what they do, and you certainly couldn't make that case this season, based on the stats that really matter.
        Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

• They also don't have access to the information GM's and coaches do, as Jimmie was saying.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
            Yeah because Stephen A. Smith and Chris Broussard are idiots.
            Beat me to it, yes, they ARE idiots!

And I don't consider media to be in the same league, in terms of access to info and knowledge of/experience with the game, as GMs and coaching staffs.
            Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

• jimmie wrote: View Post

And I don't consider media to be in the same league, in terms of access to info and knowledge of/experience with the game, as GMs and coaching staffs.
              There are super rare exceptions where people in the media (not TV media where they bottomfeed for ratings) have been hired by NBA teams before. Hollinger is an easy one and there was another guy who wrote amazing breakdowns a few years ago that was hired and vanished and thus I no longer even remember his name.
              Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• jimmie wrote: View Post

I was being sarcastic...

I don't think they're idiots at all. They're well established and highly-reputed in their field.

The thing is they aren't X's and O's guys. Stephen A Smith's calling card is the relationships that he's established with several key players around the NBA which gives him a lot of insight into more personal and intimate information about the NBA. Broussard I'm not too familiar with his career, but calling successful people "idiots" is just really not a particularly wise thing to be doing.

Comment

I was being sarcastic...

I don't think they're idiots at all. They're well established and highly-reputed in their field.

The thing is they aren't X's and O's guys. Stephen A Smith's calling card is the relationships that he's established with several key players around the NBA which gives him a lot of insight into more personal and intimate information about the NBA. Broussard I'm not too familiar with his career, but calling successful people "idiots" is just really not a particularly wise thing to be doing.
                  Idiots is a strong word. I don't know much about Broussard other than he talks out of his ass on occasion, citing sources that don't exist, and isn't really that strong a writer, for a sports journalist.

Stephen A. on the other hand, I guess I can agree he's not an idiot, but I think his whole shtick is an act to create views. His career is built on being a sensationalist. He's the king of the hot take, and the hot take, in my opinion, is the worst thing to happen to the media in years. It's literally the definition of opinion for the sake of opinion with no need for research to back it up.

I hope you're not suggesting either one of these guys is doing any sort of in-depth analysis to arrive at whatever they're saying today about pro basketball...

"Well-established"? Donald Trump is well-established. "Highly reputed"? By whom?

And there's a LOT of not-particularly-wise labelling of people on here every day. I would think calling SAS an idiot would be an infraction of the exceedingly minor nature... ;-)

Comment

• Guys, these fellows are media personalities. They are there for ratings, they are acting out roles.

Your regular day analysts are a bit more of a measuring stick.

I have had long conversations, in person with Devlin, Jack, Paul Jones, and Michael Grange.

Marek and Cox on the Hockey side.

I remember being absolutely blown away listening to Marek (close friend of mine) and Grange chat about the NBA lockout at the time. The conversation was fascinating, yet simple and straight forward. On camera they are paid to present a specific agenda, or specific "character". Off camera these are real people who are the best of the best.

But they only dabble compared to the true professionals hired by the team to train, coach and manage it. These guys are basketball machines. Often with extensive experience playing then assisting then coaching.

They aren't idiots. Not by a long shot. And yes they make mistakes, yes some gambles or experiments fail.... but they gotta make those calls, not you guys. I would think you dudes are smart enough to understand this.

Comment

• EDIT: Wrong thread.

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                        Here's a question, if people in the industry are generally considered smarter then the masses, how do you account for Stephen A. Smith and Chris Broussard?
                        People in the industry don't consider them.
                        "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                        "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
                          Guys, these fellows are media personalities. They are there for ratings, they are acting out roles.

Your regular day analysts are a bit more of a measuring stick.

I have had long conversations, in person with Devlin, Jack, Paul Jones, and Michael Grange.

Marek and Cox on the Hockey side.

I remember being absolutely blown away listening to Marek (close friend of mine) and Grange chat about the NBA lockout at the time. The conversation was fascinating, yet simple and straight forward. On camera they are paid to present a specific agenda, or specific "character". Off camera these are real people who are the best of the best.

But they only dabble compared to the true professionals hired by the team to train, coach and manage it. These guys are basketball machines. Often with extensive experience playing then assisting then coaching.

They aren't idiots. Not by a long shot. And yes they make mistakes, yes some gambles or experiments fail.... but they gotta make those calls, not you guys. I would think you dudes are smart enough to understand this.
                          pffft

Comment

Yeah because Stephen A. Smith and Chris Broussard are idiots.
                            Yes, but they get paid a lot of money to be idiots, which makes them smarter than all of us combined.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                              Yes, but they get paid a lot of money to be idiots, which makes them smarter than all of us combined.
                              I already explained I was being sarcastic.

Comment

• Snooch wrote: View Post
                                pffft
                                Aww come on buddy

Comment

Working...
                                X