Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• black angus wrote: View Post
    I've said it before - and I will say it again - he is the next FRED JONES - a good athlete with a boat load of unrealized potential. He will never be a star in this league - at best a decent rotational player.

On a side note - why are Raptors fans so patient - "ohh just wait Bargnani will be star" - really - when is that going to happen - it has been 7 freakin years. Same goes with him learning how to rebound or play defence - don't hold your breath. Is Jack all of a sudden going to get quicker and learn you to pass - I don't think so!

The Raptors need to start drafting great players - and stop drafting potential!!!!
    Fred Jones was an undersized SG who simply was never a good scorer. Right now DeRozan is better than Fred Jones ever was.

And how has it been 7 years? For who? Bargnani? I'm pretty sure it's only been 4.

Brandon wrote: View Post
    There are many athletic guys who have little or no ball skills or hoops IQ who come through the league. Every year brings new ones in. For every Jordan, who possessed ball skills, astronomical hoops IQ, and could run and jump like a deer, there are at least 50 DeRozans, who lack anything but the speed and leaping ability.

With his talent, the best he could likely hope for is a Doug Christie type role, but he doesn't seem to have Christie's defensive instincts, and I doubt he'll ever be able to shoot from long range.

No great players ever take longer than a couple years to develop, and I don't see any improvement so far.
    WHo on earth ever compared DeRozan to Jordan? I'd say most Raptor fans aren't even expecting him to become a top player in the league. For me, personally, I'd be happy with a good starter, but would like to see him maybe become an All-Star.

And DeRozan has more skills than simply being able to run and jump high. He's got a knack for getting to the basket and he's got a drive to improve that most players simply don't have. That's one reason I don't think he's a Harold Miner, a player with a very similar game coming out of college.

I don't think DeRozan will ever be a great player because I simply don't think he has the basketball IQ, but he's got a passion for the game that should allow him to be a very good player.

As for his role, I think scoring will always be his main skill. He's never going to be a Doug Christie, but Doug Christie never possessed the scoring ability that DeRozan does. And as I've said, being able to shoot the three is one of the most easily learned skills. All you need is a modicum of hand-eye coordination and the desire to practice it. Will DeRozan ever be a great shooter? Probably not, but there's absolutely no reason he can't end up being a good one.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• just want to throw it out there,
      if we drafted Demar for his athletic ability, why did we not look at Terrence William ?
      Was there a reason that Demar was drafted ahead of T-Will? seems like Terrence is like DD, but more of a complete player as he passes as well as rebounds.

Comment

• Iggy is an example of a successful NBA player that has no jump shot but Iggy is however a very crafty scorer that uses his body well.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
          Iggy is an example of a successful NBA player that has no jump shot but Iggy is however a very crafty scorer that uses his body well.
          What ever happened to the 'Iggy to Toronto' madness of seasons gone by? Has he been replaced by dreams of DD and Weems becoming the dynamic duo?

Comment

• Anyway there is a lot of talk about how he will take 4 or 5 years to develop and become a star in the NBA. Taking time is normal...
            No, it is not. I think you should look at the historical record before you decide on that. Even players who come out of high school usually succeed in the NBA within a couple of years at most. LeBron had one mediocre year and then exploded. Drexler the same. Jordan dominated the league from the first game he played. No great player has ever taken "4 or 5 years to develop".

I'd say most Raptor fans aren't even expecting him to become a top player in the league. For me, personally, I'd be happy with a good starter
            In other words, you don't expect him to be much more than he already is. That's not much help to this team. He's already a "good starter" in the sense that he's not killing the team by being out there. But he's not J-Rich, or a really competent 2-guard, and he never will be. He's too awkward with the ball in his hands and lacks hoops IQ. This ball team needs players who overwhelm and devastate the opponents. Otherwise, the team could pick 12 fans at random to go out there and get nuked every night.

Comment

• black angus wrote: View Post
              I've said it before - and I will say it again - he is the next FRED JONES - a good athlete with a boat load of unrealized potential. He will never be a star in this league - at best a decent rotational player.

On a side note - why are Raptors fans so patient - "ohh just wait Bargnani will be star" - really - when is that going to happen - it has been 7 freakin years. Same goes with him learning how to rebound or play defence - don't hold your breath. Is Jack all of a sudden going to get quicker and learn you to pass - I don't think so!

The Raptors need to start drafting great players - and stop drafting potential!!!!
              hahah easier said than done my friend. like i said before, id rather trade or sign an FA than rely on the draft. But essentially what youre getting in a draft is potential, coz there's no sure thing with the draft. Youre basically getting the services of a player who played 31 games a season, has to study on the side, questionable maturity and no nba experience. what do you rely on? potential. even when wall, rose, lebron was drafted, you cant really say theyre going to be a beast in the NBA. they turned out to be, but there were no guarantees when they were drafted. same with Demar.

I think what Demar lacks is the aggression and take-charge mentality. sometimes you just see him on the weakside standing, waiting for the play to transpire and then reacts. he needs to improve his ball-handling skills, quick swipe and he loses the ball. He needs to meet the PG coming down the floor, demand the ball and make plays. He's improved his jumper, his drives are a bit more solid, he just needs to take charge. Raptors players are way too nice. Everyone seems to defer to the next guy. I think its more of the fear of taking responsibility with the team, none of them want to take the blame for losing or making a bad play. Curry, Tyreke, Kobe, Lebron, Wade, didnt get to where they are now by waiting for somebody to pass them the ball, they demand that pass and create their own shots.

Comment

• This is a conversation we should have after the season when we can properly look at how the numbers work themselves out. I will point out that Last year was a right off as far as assessing his future. No plays ran through him. He was the garbage guy. All I want to see is improvement at this point.

Demar will never be Chris Bosh but I'd like to point out that Chris had growing pains as well. If he becomes a solid starter, a second or third option on a quality team type player I think I'd be pleased. At this point we need to be able to see potential and let it grow not burn it because they can't evolve into a superstar.

Comment

• bigmanshaq wrote: View Post
                  just want to throw it out there,
                  if we drafted Demar for his athletic ability, why did we not look at Terrence William ?
                  Was there a reason that Demar was drafted ahead of T-Will? seems like Terrence is like DD, but more of a complete player as he passes as well as rebounds.
                  Apparently Terrence Williams was on their radar, but the two things that swayed the Raptors, from what I gather, was that DeRozan was 2 years younger, so he had more "upside" and there was a question about Williams' knees.

No, it is not. I think you should look at the historical record before you decide on that. Even players who come out of high school usually succeed in the NBA within a couple of years at most. LeBron had one mediocre year and then exploded. Drexler the same. Jordan dominated the league from the first game he played. No great player has ever taken "4 or 5 years to develop".
                  Well, LeBron is obviously the exception. Most players straight out of high school take at least a couple of years to become good enough to even get consistent minutes. Even Kobe took two years before he became a starter.

And the difference between Drexler, Jordan and DeRozan is that Drexler and Jordan both played 3 years of college before the NBA. DeROzan played just one.

No one is suggesting that DeRozan is going to become a Hall of Fame player, but he's got a chance to be an All-Star, that's for sure. Players develop at different rates. You need to go back and take a look at players like Jermaine O'Neal or even Chauncey Billups. Some players are ready to dominate right away and others aren't. DeRozan has shown development this year, so I think it's WAY too early to start worrying after a couple of subpar games.

In other words, you don't expect him to be much more than he already is. That's not much help to this team. He's already a "good starter" in the sense that he's not killing the team by being out there. But he's not J-Rich, or a really competent 2-guard, and he never will be. He's too awkward with the ball in his hands and lacks hoops IQ. This ball team needs players who overwhelm and devastate the opponents. Otherwise, the team could pick 12 fans at random to go out there and get nuked every night.
                  So if every player isn't completely dominant, then they might as well suck? You know there's A LOT of middle ground you're missing here. And if a player is a good starter, it generally means he's one of the better starters in the league at his position. And the guy is just 1 year and 7 games out of his freshman year of college. As I said, it's way to early to judge.
                  Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                  Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• So if every player isn't completely dominant, then they might as well suck? You know there's A LOT of middle ground you're missing here. And if a player is a good starter, it generally means he's one of the better starters in the league at his position. And the guy is just 1 year and 7 games out of his freshman year of college. As I said, it's way to early to judge.
                    I'm saying what this Raptors team needs is not more of the same, which is average to below-average players. NBA basketball is about superstar players. And if no one on this team is that, or has it in them to be that, then they're expendable. And there's no point in being "worried" about them, or thinking about them at all.

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
                      If he doesn't develop a consistent jump shot, it would be extremely odd considering how much he apparently works on his game. I would be shocked, in fact, if he's not a half decent jump shooter by his third season. Its really not that hard a skill to learn.
                      Working on your game is all fine and good if your mechanics are solid, but if they're not, then you're just reinforcing and ingraining bad habits, and DD has plenty of those on his jumper. He's got a horrible hitch: instead of releasing the ball seamlessly as he elevates and taking advantage of the power supplied by his legs, he holds on to it a split second, takes it behind his head and kinda "flings" the ball at the hoop. Mind you, there are times he doesn't do this, and when he doesn't, his shots tend to fall. I think it's a confidence issue: when he's tentative and unsure, he holds it a split second too long and flings it. Same goes for when he does that spin move to the hoop: instead of just slamming it home or at least releasing it at the peak of his jump, he --once again -- hangs on to it and makes life difficult for himself (I think Balls of Steel referenced this as well). I say we bring in Dave Hopla and get him to work with DD.

Comment

• If you watched him play this year you can see he is fine....He needs the ball more and i believe we should focus more of the offense around him since its a lost season and let him develop as being a go to guy and a guy who takes the shots for this team...

bargs as that option is a fail and i think DeMar could succeed in that role if given an opportunity he has the game and ceiling i believe to be that alot moreso...

If you watched the laker game for example you coudl see he has that ability...he has the athleticism,he DOES have the skill set to go with it...he just needs time and the opportunity to be the guy to go out and do it and learn from mistakes and harness his skills and he'll be fine...

Comment

• As soon as i saw him blow by Kobe in the lane with that spin move and finish with that driving layup i had no doubts he has that ability to be the guy....You cant teach moves,confidence and moxie like that....That was a legit all star move and finish...He has it,he just needs more time...

Comment

• Brandon wrote: View Post
                            Ronnie Brewer is a defensive genius. DeRozan doesn't do anything well. Even as a complementary scorer he is below average because he cannot shoot and cannot handle it well enough to score in traffic.
                            Yeah, that was sort of my point. He has the physical gifts of a great defensive player - will it happen, I don't know. Offensively, it just seems like nothing is coming easy - shot mechanics, dribble, etc. The only thing that he makes look easy is a baseline lob.

Comment

• Trife76 wrote: View Post
                              As soon as i saw him blow by Kobe in the lane with that spin move and finish with that driving layup i had no doubts he has that ability to be the guy....You cant teach moves,confidence and moxie like that....That was a legit all star move and finish...He has it,he just needs more time...
                              Q Rich blew by Kobe once too, doesn't mean anything.

How far DeRozan will go in this league is directly proportional to how much he improves his dribbling and jumper, and inversely proportional to how much time he wasts on the YGZ bullshit.

Comment

• Arsenalist wrote: View Post
                                Q Rich blew by Kobe once too, doesn't mean anything.

How far DeRozan will go in this league is directly proportional to how much he improves his dribbling and jumper, and inversely proportional to how much time he wasts on the YGZ bullshit.
                                He will play a lot better once Evans is no longer starting.
                                Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                                Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Working...
                                X