No announcement yet.

Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think Fields should garner a little bit of burn after tonight's game.

He played a season high (I believe, just off the top of my head), 17 minutes tonight, and seemed to do pretty well?

Salmons on the other hand, has been in a huge slump, with seemingly no sign of recovering anytime soon :/

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
      I finally had a little time to do some play editing and show what I see on the defensive end that bugs me.

Here we see a semi fast break that saw JV switched onto the ball (Blue), JV does a good job containing the penetration and forces Rondo to the corner. Lowry (Red) picks up Sullinger quite high to try and stop Sullinger from getting good position on him. DD (yellow) is on his man and can feel his man and see the ball. Ross (green) is in proper position on the nail.

Lowry is bowled over by Sullinger and there is no call, now Sullinger is unguarded 5 feet from the rim (red). The ball (blue) is picked up by Rondo and JV does a good job congesting the passing lanes. Ross sees the open Sullinger and should move to the inside position (green). DD should move up and split himself between his man and Bayless along the black arrow to the corner of the FT line. This will provide him with the ability to close out on either player if the ball is swung, allow his teammates to properly rotate to cover his man, and guard the skip pass.

Ross did a great job (green) of recovering for Lowry. DD is in no mans land in the paint guarding nobody. He finally realizes his mistake when the ball is in flight (blue) to Bayless. Way, way to late. Ross initially tries to close on Bayless, seeing that DD did not rotate soon enough, but DD did have a step on Ross so he promptly sprinted to the corner to close on the corner man (black). If the ball was swung again this would have led to a scramble for Ross again.

DD gives up the uncontested three to Bayless. Bucket.

Everyone else on the Raptors did a great job of rotating, but DD get's caught watching in no mans land and negates his teammates good work. This is a somewhat common occurrence for DD where he does not rotate properly.
      You can see that same sequence several times a night with DD. Having said that, Ross still makes similar mistakes, as well as JV, though both have improved as the season has progressed. I commented about a week ago about this. DD doesn't react automatically because a lot of the defensive sets have not been internalized, I believe, so he still has to think about them and reason correct actions out in his mind.

We have seen the same thing with his offense. He has put more work into his offense, so his reactions to certain patterns is now automatic and it has helped his scoring. You can tell when the opposing teams positioning is slightly confusing to him because he does that irritating retreat back above the 3 pt line. It seems like a time killer, and is, but it is far preferable to him just bulling his way in with no idea of what he's doing.

His defense IS better, I think because he has gotten the defensive rotations and positioning, in different situations, about half right. I expect things to be better next year and better again the year after that.

I wonder if this is why DD has confounded the critics (Matt ) by improving every year when one would have expected him to top out after year 3. He may need to just go through repetition after repetition to internalize patterns of play and the correct reaction to them. If this is true, improvement will continue through the rest of his career.

Just wondering.
      Last edited by Puffer; Mon Mar 31, 2014, 07:38 AM.

Comment

• OldSchool wrote: View Post
        Im wondering the same thing but with Landry. Why isn't he getting any burn? Is there a situation with him and the coaching staff? Im sure Field's would contribute if given the chance.

Gonna throw this out there: anyone know where I can get the All star DeRozan Jersey?
        We saw his contributions in the Orlando game. Very good minutes.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
          You can see that same sequence several times a night with DD. Having said that, Ross still makes similar mistakes, as well as JV, though both have improved as the season has progressed. I commented about a week ago about this. DD doesn't react automatically because a lot of the defensive sets have not been internalized, I believe, so he still has to think about them and reason correct actions out in his mind.

We have seen the same thing with his offense. He has put more work into his offense, so his reactions to certain patterns is now automatic and it has helped his scoring. You can tell when the opposing teams positioning is slightly confusing to him because he does that irritating retreat back above the 3 pt line. It seems like a time killer, and is, but it is far preferable to him just bulling his way in with no idea of what he's doing.

His defense IS better, I think because he has gotten the defensive rotations and positioning, in different situations, about half right. I expect things to be better next year and better again the year after that.

I wonder if this is why DD has confounded the critics (Matt ) by improving every year when one would have expected him to top out after year 3. He may need to just go through repetition after repetition to internalize patterns of play and the correct reaction to them. If this is true, improvement will continue through the rest of his career.

Just wondering.
          Jeepers creepers.... you too?

How many times do I have to say I was wrong on him being what he is? DD is the exception to NBA development rule.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
            Jeepers creepers.... you too?

How many times do I have to say I was wrong on him being what he is? DD is the exception to NBA development rule.
            Umm he didn't say anything offensive to you? He's just pointing out why some people (like you apparently) were surprised by his improvement after year 3.

It is actually very strange to be honest, most players do not see signifcant jumps in their play 5 years into their career.

Comment

• imanshumpert wrote: View Post
              Umm he didn't say anything offensive to you? He's just pointing out why some people (like you apparently) were surprised by his improvement after year 3.

It is actually very strange to be honest, most players do not see signifcant jumps in their play 5 years into their career.
              Ummm DeRozan's improvement has not confounded me.

I had an opinion regarding his potential that was proven to be false.

At no point have I or do I wish for DD to fail so I can be correct in my opinion.

In fact, I stated this numerous times in my posts.

I hoped to be wrong on him because whether he stayed or was subsequently traded it was in Toronto's best interests and subsequently my best interests as a fan of the team.

Comment

Ummm DeRozan's improvement has not confounded me.

I had an opinion regarding his potential that was proven to be false.

At no point have I or do I wish for DD to fail so I can be correct in my opinion.

In fact, I stated this numerous times in my posts.

I hoped to be wrong on him because whether he stayed or was subsequently traded it was in Toronto's best interests and subsequently my best interests as a fan of the team.
                Confound - cause surprise or confusion in (someone), esp. by acting against their expectations.

So DeMar improving significantly in year 5 was not against your expectations?

I'm not saying you wished for him to fail, but I think even DeMar fanboys didn't expect him to drop 23-4-4 this year.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post

Just wondering.
                  JV is slow on some of his rotations. Ross does not, dude rotates fast, however not every player is perfect and has had some bad ones, but his athleticism allows him to generally recover quite well.

Yes he has improved...but not really on the defensive end. And I would even argue that he hasn't really improved much from last year. He is basically the same player, just using more possessions in more minutes so his scoring has went up as well as rebounding. The only things he has done better are pass more and get to the line more.

His defense leaves a lot to desire and I don't think it will improve much in the future, he hasn't shown any flashes of getting it yet.

Comment

Confound - cause surprise or confusion in (someone), esp. by acting against their expectations.

So DeMar improving significantly in year 5 was not against your expectations?

I'm not saying you wished for him to fail, but I think even DeMar fanboys didn't expect him to drop 23-4-4 this year.
                    con·found·ed
                    kənˈfoundəd,kän-/
                    adjective
                    informaldated
                    adjective: confounded

used for emphasis, esp. to express anger or annoyance.

An example, I am confounded by your persistence in a conversation which you obviously have little prior knowledge of based on your initial reply.

At no point have I been angered or annoyed with DeRozan's growth this season.

Comment

con·found·ed
                      kənˈfoundəd,kän-/
                      adjective
                      informaldated
                      adjective: confounded

used for emphasis, esp. to express anger or annoyance.

An example, I am confounded by your persistence in a conversation which you obviously have little prior knowledge of based on your initial reply.

At no point have I been angered or annoyed with DeRozan's growth this season.
                      That's the wrong definition

Puffer wrote:
                      DD has confounded the critics
                      Matt52 wrote:
                      DeRozan's improvement has not confounded me.
                      In both cases confounded was used as a verb, not an adjective. The adjective relates to anger, while the verb relates to surprise.

So actually you're not correct here at all. But if you really weren't surprised by DD's 5th year leap then I guess you weren't confounded by it at all.

Comment

That's the wrong definition

In both cases confounded was used as a verb, not an adjective. The adjective relates to anger, while the verb relates to surprise.

So actually you're not correct here at all. But if you really weren't surprised by DD's 5th year leap then I guess you weren't confounded by it at all.
                        oh my god guys. who cares.
                        "Bruno?
                        Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
                          oh my god guys. who cares.
                          Not me said the bee.

Not I said the fly.

Comment

• ^can't believe that conversation actually happened.

Comment

• iblastoff wrote: View Post
                              ^can't believe that conversation actually happened.
                              But are you confounded by it?

Comment

• DeMar is ripped. He looks like Joey Graham in this pic.

Mamba Mentality

Comment

Working...
                                X