Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors *potential* depth chart for players 25 and under, imo:

davis > bayless > johnson > derozan > bargnani > kleiza > wright > weems > alabi

Comment

• How can you compare the two.
      They play completly different positions thus have different roles. Derozan will become the better pure scorer and Davis will become the better defensive force, both complementing each others games.

Comment

• Ya I'm going to have to agree with DD. I'm not sure any one of them has 'more potential' per se. Both have shown flashes, but nothing consistent as of yet.
        I look to McGrady as a solid comparison point for Derozan. They had similar Rookie seasons, but Derozan has shown more as a sophomore. Give him time. He's still verrry young, can still be a perenial All-Star. And likely will be in my books if he continues. Constant improvement is what we need to see from all of these young guys.
        Ed Davis has shown an above average Defensive Awareness, and has a knack for cleaning up around the basket. I think he could turn out to be a sort of Antonio Davis type. Who was in fact, an All-Star, which was awarded to him because of his gritty defense and solid, reliable offense. So to say one has more potential than the other, isn't really fair, because I think both have 'shown' that they can play at a high level, but neither has shown the consistency of an All-Star level talent. Both are young, both have a limitless 'Ceiling' at this point in their respective careers.

Comment

• Davis seems to have a higher basketball IQ. Plus playing as a big you know what you have to do, play tough D, crash the boards get easy dunks when the perimeter players break down the D and develop a 15 foot J. Derozan will have to play against world class SG's, develop a J and handles and be required to create his own shot, as well as create for others. Usually perimeter guys who turn out to be good/great players would have shown consistent signs of improvement by now. Derozan hasn't seemed to grasp the fact that he is best when he just attacks the rim. He has a few aggressive games and then reverts back to a jump shooter. I put my vote in for Davis to be a more well rounded player, and Derozan will be a highlight real special who doesn't live up to the lofty expectations the Raps and their fans set for him.
          Deadallus

Comment

• Both are equal IMO. Davis on D and Demar on O.

Comment

• DeRozan. He will develop more slowly than Davis b/c his bball IQ is lower and b/c his development of key SG skills (ball handling, jump shot) is behind. However, he should be able to improve in those areas. Ed Davis is never gonna get big enough to have a size advantage at the 4 and won't be long enough to be a good undersized 5 and I don't see him developing a Chris Bosh type offensive game. He could be an Al Horford type - solid, fundamentally sound and capable of being a productive offensive player within his skillset. if DeroZan can get to the next level in terms of handles and J he could be a perennial allstar. Not in the mold of McGrady, b/c he's not a facilitator, but maybe if he gets it all together in the mold of dominique wilkins (but less athletic).

Comment

• Davis' instincts seperate him from DD by a wide margin imo. He also has great hands and feet for a man his size at his age. I'm pretty high on Davis and believe if he stays health he will be a top 5 player at his position at his peak. I think DD will be solid but not top 10 at his position at anytime in this career...but obviously way too early to tell for either.

Comment

• Derozan is not laterally quick enough to guard the top wing players in the league, and definitely not SGs. That's not something that will improve. His handle is also sub-par, especially for a SG, and that is something that rarley improves at the NBA level. The only hope is for his jump-shot to get better, so I'd say his upside is already limited - offensively AND defensively. On top of that, he's not very strong, so let's say he's got a heckuva lot of things to work on. Consider the fact that he was gifted starter's minutes since he entered the league, so DD has had every possible advantage to develop himself, so what we are seeing is likely coming close to the best he can be. A lot of players do show big jumps between year 2 & 3, so I suppose there is a chance for a breakout year next year.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                    Consider the fact that he was gifted starter's minutes since he entered the league, so DD has had every possible advantage to develop himself, so what we are seeing is likely coming close to the best he can be. A lot of players do show big jumps between year 2 & 3, so I suppose there is a chance for a breakout year next year.
                    I wouldn't really say that 21.6 minutes as a rooke is 'Starter Minutes' ... he may have been starting, but he was not, by any means, given starter minutes. Nor has he been 'gifted' anything. As a 21 year old sophomore averaging 13 a game, and only getting better, I'm not sure what people are complaining about. He has improved his jumper, shown capable defensive abilities, and is getting bigger and stronger everyday.

Comment

• Any team which adds Davis is going to improve more than any team which adds DD.

Comment

• Davis has the better chance of being a NBA mainstay because of the consistency of which he's likely to bring his game. This also has to do with his position as well, it's easier for a "hustle oriented" big man to do what he does than a wing who has to rely a lot more on what is traditionally classified as skill. I'm not suggesting Davis doesn't have skill, not by a longshot, it's that what he does comes natural to him where as DeRozan has to learn how to shoot, dribble and pass effectively. At worst, the trajectory of Davis' career will see him become a consistent defensive big man with a decent offensive game. At worst, DeRozan will be out of the league. Catch my drift?

Comment

• English should be able help Davis with his shooting. I see Davis as a double double guy if he stays healthy.

DeRozan - It depends on whether he gets serious about practicing three point shots or not.

If he does to the point where he shoots it over 40% and significantly improves his defense then I can see him as an all-star, if not on both accounts then he winds up as journeyman back up SG

I would give him two more seasons before narrowing down the range.
                          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

• Neither, really, though if I had to choose I'd pick Davis.

As Buddha says, DeRozan can't shoot, isn't good defensively and I'd add that he doesn't have a great handle for an attacking 2.

Davis has more tools, imo, including a higher basketball IQ.

I'd put money on the fact that DeRozan will never be an all-star. Davis, like almost everyone has already said, looks to be a double-double possibility.

Then again, given enough minutes, so is Joey Dorsey.

Comment

• Definitely Ed Davis. By quite a long shot. For reasons many have pointed out, so it's useless for me to say them again

Comment

• Arsenalist wrote: View Post
                                Davis has the better chance of being a NBA mainstay because of the consistency of which he's likely to bring his game. This also has to do with his position as well, it's easier for a "hustle oriented" big man to do what he does than a wing who has to rely a lot more on what is traditionally classified as skill. I'm not suggesting Davis doesn't have skill, not by a longshot, it's that what he does comes natural to him where as DeRozan has to learn how to shoot, dribble and pass effectively. At worst, the trajectory of Davis' career will see him become a consistent defensive big man with a decent offensive game. At worst, DeRozan will be out of the league. Catch my drift?
                                Too harsh. DeRozan's not gonna drop out of the league after this contract unless he gets hurt. Hard worker, good guy, high ceiling.

Watch for DeRozan to blossom in his 4th season.
                                Last edited by Brain Colangelo; Thu Dec 30, 2010, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X