Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post
    If DD can't take Pierce off the bounce, he is truly lost.
    I'm not sure that's the deal.

You know that play where Amir holds the ball a couple of steps outside the side of the paint? DD curls around him, grabs the ball and likes to either pull up for a jumper or use that advantage to get to the rim?

Well Pierce has just enough over the average 4 to be able to switch onto DD, allowing JJ to not have to fight through the screen. It's not so much a long term switch where DD can take him out to the perimeter and break him down, it's a switch that slows Demar down just enough to make that play significantly less effective.
    "Bruno?
    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
      I'm not sure that's the deal.

You know that play where Amir holds the ball a couple of steps outside the side of the paint? DD curls around him, grabs the ball and likes to either pull up for a jumper or use that advantage to get to the rim?

Well Pierce has just enough over the average 4 to be able to switch onto DD, allowing JJ to not have to fight through the screen. It's not so much a long term switch where DD can take him out to the perimeter and break him down, it's a switch that slows Demar down just enough to make that play significantly less effective.
      They often run that hand off very close to the 3 point line - if Pierce chases DD far enough to keep him from turning the corner, either it has to be a permanent switch, or Amir's going to be wide open rolling to the basket, and that's a pass DD has made time and again. Just needs to keep his head up and actually look for his teammates.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
        They often run that hand off very close to the 3 point line - if Pierce chases DD far enough to keep him from turning the corner, either it has to be a permanent switch, or Amir's going to be wide open rolling to the basket, and that's a pass DD has made time and again. Just needs to keep his head up and actually look for his teammates.
        well, also, Pierce is crazy long and has played 3 his whole career. I know he's old, but DD doesn't have that lightning quick first step either. he should be looking for Amir so he can work JJ down low, but amir isn't really a psot u pkinda guy
        "Bruno?
        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• For all the discussion on DeMar's efficiency.

DeMar PPS: 1.30 (51.0% TS)
          Durant PPS: 1.12 (49.2% TS)
          Westbrook PPS: 0.99 (43.9% TS)

And before somebody uses Memphis' elite defense as an excuse. Let's not forget that Durant and Westbrook are superstars who both have another superstar to take offensive pressure off of them.

DeMar is scoring about as much as these two with like 7 less shots per game.

Comment

• imanshumpert wrote: View Post
            For all the discussion on DeMar's efficiency.

And before somebody uses Memphis' elite defense as an excuse. Let's not forget that Durant and Westbrook are superstars who both have another superstar to take offensive pressure off of them.

Right.... 4-5 games erases 7 seasons for Durant? Dude is shooting 18% lower FT on career these last 5 games while still giving 10rebs, 4asts, 2blk, and a steal. Also only 13% of kd's shots are dreaded 16-<3pt long 2s versus derozans 43%. He is missing shots he normally makes. DD continues to take and miss shots he frequently misses.

Westbrook is fair game but he still contributes 10 Rebs and 7 assists per game.

I love the PPS stat but like everything else you need context.

Comment

• imanshumpert wrote: View Post
              For all the discussion on DeMar's efficiency.

And they are about to have a first round exit. Your point?

you make it sound like its ok to be inefficient because they are more inefficient right now and they're superstars. They are about to lose in the first round because of their lack of efficiency. If derozan stops getting calls and continues to be inefficient then we will suffer the same fate.
              Last edited by Machine; Wed Apr 30, 2014, 06:54 PM.

Comment

• Because I'm just joining the forum, I should announce my position:

Pro-DD
                That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

• Other Scott wrote: View Post
                  Because I'm just joining the forum, I should announce my position:

Pro-DD
                  I'm pro-Raptors

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                    Right.... 4-5 games erases 7 seasons for Durant? Dude is shooting 18% lower FT on career these last 5 games while still giving 10rebs, 4asts, 2blk, and a steal. Also only 13% of kd's shots are dreaded 16-<3pt long 2s versus derozans 43%. He is missing shots he normally makes. DD continues to take and miss shots he frequently misses.

Westbrook is fair game but he still contributes 10 Rebs and 7 assists per game.

I love the PPS stat but like everything else you need context.
                    Well there has been some pointing to this series in the past couple of pages as a return to old Derozan, and how he's playing terribly this series, etc, etc.

Even REAL superstars struggle sometimes, especially when they become the focus of the opposing D in the playoffs and your roster only has a few real offensive threats.

FoxMachine wrote: View Post
                    And they are about to have a first round exit. Your point?

you make it sound like its ok to be inefficient because they are more inefficient right now and they're superstars. They are about to lose in the first round because of their lack of efficiency. If derozan stops getting calls and continues to be inefficient then we will suffer the same fate.
                    Well at least you're holding Demar to a high standard lol. I'd agree, Durant sucks and we don't want him on our team.

Other Scott wrote: View Post
                    Because I'm just joining the forum, I should announce my position:

Pro-DD
                    Love this. LOVE this.
                    "Bruno?
                    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Well there has been some pointing to this series in the past couple of pages as a return to old Derozan, and how he's playing terribly this series, etc, etc.

Even REAL superstars struggle sometimes, especially when they become the focus of the opposing D in the playoffs and your roster only has a few real offensive threats.

Well at least you're holding Demar to a high standard lol. I'd agree, Durant sucks and we don't want him on our team.

Love this. LOVE this.
                      DD played fantastic offense after 1st Q last night. That is what I've been harping about. He played with in the team and put up a solid line (only 5-12 but he started 1-5 meaning he ended 4-7). He contributed in other areas and if hockey assists were counted he'd probably have ended up with another 4-5 assists. Then, because his teammates were involved, he had more space to step up and create - which he did in the 4th Q on a couple of key buckets. That is all I want... on offense.

The issue with the focus of DD is Brooklyn are playing against his weaknesses. They send two players at him because he has no handle to speak of. He can't split that double. Then he isn't a great passer or decision maker under pressure so when they trap and get large a lot of his passes are tipped and deflected. What is worse he holds it so long that the defense then gets a chance to cheat and close teh passing lanes.

All of this isn't to say DD is useless. Far from it. There was a great conversation going mid season with regards to usage. It was shown without a doubt he is an effective offensive player (it really made me look at him in a different light). I still don't think efficient is a word to describe him but that actually has improved. The issue with DD now on O is to pick his spots when to step up and work within the team the rest of the time. The Raptors have shown good things happen when he does that and doesn't try to go ISO after ISO after ISO which ends up being a long, contested 2 far too often.

I'm really happy with his offensive game last night. He played fantastic overall and without it, even with Lowry's heroics, Raps don't win this game.

Comment

DD played fantastic offense after 1st Q last night. That is what I've been harping about. He played with in the team and put up a solid line (only 5-12 but he started 1-5 meaning he ended 4-7). He contributed in other areas and if hockey assists were counted he'd probably have ended up with another 4-5 assists. Then, because his teammates were involved, he had more space to step up and create - which he did in the 4th Q on a couple of key buckets. That is all I want... on offense.

The issue with the focus of DD is Brooklyn are playing against his weaknesses. They send two players at him because he has no handle to speak of. He can't split that double. Then he isn't a great passer or decision maker under pressure so when they trap and get large a lot of his passes are tipped and deflected. What is worse he holds it so long that the defense then gets a chance to cheat and close teh passing lanes.

All of this isn't to say DD is useless. Far from it. There was a great conversation going mid season with regards to usage. It was shown without a doubt he is an effective offensive player (it really made me look at him in a different light). I still don't think efficient is a word to describe him but that actually has improved. The issue with DD now on O is to pick his spots when to step up and work within the team the rest of the time. The Raptors have shown good things happen when he does that and doesn't try to go ISO after ISO after ISO which ends up being a long, contested 2 far too often.

I'm really happy with his offensive game last night. He played fantastic overall and without it, even with Lowry's heroics, Raps don't win this game.
                        Nice post.

There was a beautiful DD-2Pat-Amir tic tac toe on a Brooklyn trap in the first quarter last night that got me more excited than probably any other part of the game. I was calling for the Raptors to win after that lol.
                        "Bruno?
                        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Nice post.

There was a beautiful DD-2Pat-Amir tic tac toe on a Brooklyn trap in the first quarter last night that got me more excited than probably any other part of the game. I was calling for the Raptors to win after that lol.
                          Thanks.

yeah... that play I was sitting there like, "They are watching us at RR...."

lol

Comment

What encourages me on the DD front is his improvement every year on the aspects of his game that need improvement.

I believe that after the playoffs, however far the Raps get, DD is going to sit down with a coach and examine how he was played in the playoffs and examine every play where he was trapped, had a pass deflected or lost control of the ball. I think he is that kind of a guy. And next year (particularly during the season, when the Raps will have more offensive threats due to TRoss and JV improving plus whatever moves MU makes) DeMar will show us an improved passing game and a better response to double teams. He is not a stupid man and has his head set on becoming the best player he can possibly be.

I think DD continues to improve his game for the next 2-3 years. That is my opinion. Based on what has gone before.

Comment

• DeMar's best game of the series last night. McHappy, while I agree with most of your post... it's not like DeMar doesn't play within the team concept in other games. Lowry was ON FIRE this game so DeRozan didn't need to do nearly as much on the offensive end (not to mention we had a huge lead for like 70% of the game).
                              Last edited by imanshumpert; Thu May 1, 2014, 12:14 PM.

Comment

I'm pro-Raptors
                                They're not mutually exclusive. You can be pro-Raptors and pro-DeMar.

Hell you can be pro-Ross and pro-DeMar (something a few here don't seem to understand).

Comment

Working...
                                X