Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• imanshumpert wrote: View Post
    Would we even have nough assets to complete a sign and trade for Durant without completely gutting our roster? Quoting you here:

Say we denounce Vasquez and JJ's cap holds. That puts us at roughly 82M committed, so still over a project cap of ~80M ish after the new TV deal. Durant (9 years exp by that time) and DeRozan would both have the same max of about 24M. So we would have to send out roughly that much in order to even complete a S&T for KD. How on earth would we achieve that while maintaining any semblance of depth?
    23.6M-5M = 18.6M. That's our 6.9M role player, Patterson (6.1M as it turns out), 2015 draft pick (1.5M) and a sign and traded JJ (4.1M). Throwing in our 2016 picks to make the trade happen.

PG: Lowry, Room MLE
    SG: DD, Ross
    SF: Durant, Caboclo
    PF: Millsap
    C: JV, BeBe

That leaves us at 77M committed salary. If DD signs for 23M, we are right at the tax apron adding minimum salary guys. If he is sitting at 11M, we can re-sign Vasquez, use the MLE for a backup PF. Depth.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
      23.6M-5M = 18.6M. That's our 6.9M role player, Patterson (6.1M as it turns out), 2015 draft pick (1.5M) and a sign and traded JJ (4.1M). Throwing in our 2016 picks to make the trade happen.

PG: Lowry, Room MLE
      SG: DD, Ross
      SF: Durant, Caboclo
      PF: Millsap
      C: JV, BeBe

That leaves us at 77M committed salary. If DD signs for 23M, we are right at the tax apron adding minimum salary guys. If he is sitting at 11M, we can re-sign Vasquez, use the MLE for a backup PF. Depth.
      How is 77M at the tax apron if the projected salary cap is supposed to be 80M in 2016 if you account for the TV Deal?

Comment

How is 77M at the tax apron if the projected salary cap is supposed to be 80M in 2016 if you account for the TV Deal?
        77M plus DD's 23.6M is 101M. Projected apron is 103.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
          77M plus DD's 23.6M is 101M. Projected apron is 103.
          So we'd still be under the apron so we can sign DD and KD...

So in other words, DD, even if he gets a full max, does not stop us from getting Durant.

So can we please move on?

Comment

• is KD being used as a placeholder for this debate?....because I'd bet my one remaining functional testicle that he isn't coming here
            For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
              is KD being used as a placeholder for this debate?....because I'd bet my one remaining functional testicle that he isn't coming here
              Yup... we're almost definitely not getting Durant.

And if we don't get KD, DeRozan's contract is not going to be the reason why lmfao

This isn't MLS where we can just pay a lot more for KD than other teams want to (hence why Leiweke was able to pull off Beckham and Defoe).

Comment

is KD being used as a placeholder for this debate?....because I'd bet my one remaining functional testicle that he isn't coming here
                #Bruno2016

Raps big need in 2014 will be PF.

AL Horford will be 30.
                Ryan ANderson will be 28.

Not hard to tell his hometown is gunning for him hiring his high school basketball coach.

Comment

• always liked Ryan Anderson...but I expect 2Pat to have worked his way into be a solid starter this year.
                  For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• There is a higher chance of Bruno becoming Durant than Durant signing with us.

Comment

• Bruno becomes a steal the second he sticks in the league as a plus defender and 38% + 3pt shooting. If he gets anywhere beyond that I will never question a Masai pick again for as long as I live.

Comment

• Look at the ways that non-prime free agent destinations have won titles please guys. It has never happened by signing a superstar in FA. That is what happens for teams like the Lakers.

It usually happens through either shrewd trading, shrewd signings (getting free agents that aren't as highly touted at a bargain) and/or shrewd drafting (Getting high picks. Getting steals in drafts).

San Antonio - Duncan #1 ovr, stole Parker and Manu, robbed Indiana blind of their pick to get Kawhi

Dallas - Got Dirk in draft, made many great trades and free agent signings, acquired somewhat of a reclamation project in Chandler cheaply by using Peja's contract iirc (Shoutout to the homie Colangelo!)

Detroit - Signed Billups for dirt cheap, acquired Rip via trade, stole Prince at #23 in draft, acquired Sheed via trade, traded a broken down Grant Hill for future multi-time DPOY Ben Wallace, could've had Melo also if they didn't screw up the pick they stole from Orlando (Knicks/Nuggets 2016 1st anyone?)

Comment

Bruno becomes a steal the second he sticks in the league as a plus defender and 38% + 3pt shooting. If he gets anywhere beyond that I will never question a Masai pick again for as long as I live.
                          The value of the draft is the ability to, for a lack of better terms, 'control' the player for upwards of 9 years.

Lots of talk about what Bruno is today but I'm really interested to see what happens in 2016 and beyond - like 6 years down the road when he is DeMar's age. He needs to physically mature, get stronger, and gain experience.

There is no question Bruno is raw but the skills are most definitely there. He has shown the ability at 18 coming straight out of Brazil to do a very desirable skill (3pt) in a high degree of difficulty TWICE (step back 3 off dribble) that we can all agree DD is still struggling to perform in a strictly catch and shoot after 5 NBA seasons, 1 year of college, and US high school.

BTW, this isn't knocking DeRozan. I'm only highlighting and attempting to discredit the notion Bruno is strictly a long armed genetic mutation. I have no problem with the pick at 20 because I think this kid has lottery written all over him if his circumstances were different. An example along the same lines of thinking: Zach Lavine. LaVine was selected based on shooting and athleticism and is nearly a year older than Bruno with a year at UCLA under his belt.

I'm probably more pumped to watch Bruno develop than I was and still am for Valanciunas.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                            The value of the draft is the ability to, for a lack of better terms, 'control' the player for upwards of 9 years.

Lots of talk about what Bruno is today but I'm really interested to see what happens in 2016 and beyond - like 6 years down the road when he is DeMar's age. He needs to physically mature, get stronger, and gain experience.

There is no question Bruno is raw but the skills are most definitely there. He has shown the ability at 18 coming straight out of Brazil to do a very desirable skill (3pt) in a high degree of difficulty TWICE (step back 3 off dribble) that we can all agree DD is still struggling to perform in a strictly catch and shoot after 5 NBA seasons, 1 year of college, and US high school.

BTW, this isn't knocking DeRozan. I'm only highlighting and attempting to discredit the notion Bruno is strictly a long armed genetic mutation. I have no problem with the pick at 20 because I think this kid has lottery written all over him if his circumstances were different. An example along the same lines of thinking: Zach Lavine. LaVine was selected based on shooting and athleticism and is nearly a year older than Bruno with a year at UCLA under his belt.

I'm probably more pumped to watch Bruno develop than I was and still am for Valanciunas.
                            The key here is patience and not jumping out and calling the guy a bust/overrated/overpaid too early. People were done with DeMar in freaking year 3.

Comment

The key here is patience and not jumping out and calling the guy a bust/overrated/overpaid too early. People were done with DeMar in freaking year 3.
                              Guilty as charged.

But for the record, it was the regression that pissed me off in year 3 and any lack of real improvement in year 4, in my opinion.

Comment

Not to start a Colangelo bashing fest....but his way of hyping up prospects never helps, not just with DeMar. It builds distorted expectations among fans and really screws with the reality of the situation. He almost always comes out and compares his pick to a superstar to build them up. DeMar to Carter, Jonas to Chandler, Bargs to Dirk...Nothing good comes of that. Especially since the resemblances are always way more minor than it would take to really make such comparisons.

I like that Masai distorts expectations in a different way, where he plays them down and doesn't outline any specific goals or comparisons about a player's development when speaking about them publicly. It stresses the possibility that great patience could be required, and that you don't really know what you have in a player until he develops, however that turns out.

Comment

Working...
                                X