Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fully wrote: View Post
    The crazy talk is comparing this guy to Bosh and Love. We can drag up player comparisons from draft reports all night and most of them will be hilariously inaccurate. They mean nothing. His injury had him back in action in training camp… and then he couldn't crack the rotation on a 33 win team and played behind guys like Jeffrey Taylor, PJ Hairston and the corpse of Jason Maxiell… and this is after the Hornets burned a top 10 pick on him a few months before. And then they basically dumped him yesterday in a trade. He's a good buy low candidate but he's not worth the hype you're handing out.
    How did they dump him in a trade, he was the primary piece going to Portland? Or is the expiring Gerald Henderson really the expected prize here?

Player comps are always a crap shoot, same as any scouting practice but if you don't try and assess the guys future value/production, then how do you trade for any prospect/pick? Might as well just follow the Billy King GM philosophy of bringing in guys with zero upside and trade away every pick. He was 18 yrs old when he was drafted and was never said to be NBA ready. He was always a guy with high ceiling but needed a year or two of development.

Oh, and PJ Hairston is a SG/SF, so don't see how he impacts Vonleh's playing time at PF.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• but hey, what if derozan can hit 3s on a consistent basis and lets say he shoots 37% from 3, does this change?

Comment

• QuadrupleDouble wrote: View Post
        but hey, what if derozan can hit 3s on a consistent basis and lets say he shoots 37% from 3, does this change?
        Casey lets Demar dribble alot. Unless he starts jacking up pull up threes his three point shooting issues will never be fixed.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
          so this is what the Derozan fanboys are reduced to now? "Like it or not"?

anyway there's less than zero reason to suggest this as some sort of fact.

Derozan isn't a very good player. I doubt he's here after a year because there are dumber GMs than Masai who will pay him the big money he doesn't deserve.
          Not a DeRozan fanboy, if he got traded tomorrow (I would look quite silly obviously) I wouldn't bat an eyelash as long as the return was good. I just don't think that's ever going to happen lol. Since this dude's 3rd season 50% of the Raptors fanbase has been praying that he gets traded and we haven't even gotten a rumour from a reliable source (I mean seriously people were latching onto a rumor of DD+20 for Gallo+7 from some random dude on Twitter prior to the draft).

I do find it hilarious when people say he's not a good player though.

Comment

• Btw DeRozan retiring a Raptor doesn't mean he's the face of the franchise. For example, Udonis Haslem is going to probably start and finish his career with the Heat and I wouldn't exactly call him the face of that team lol.

I do hope that at some point we get a player who can really be that 1A guy, but I don't think that'll be because we traded DeRozan to get him. Tbh I even think Kevin Love could be the #1 guy on a championship team if the supporting cast, coaching and system were good enough. Watch Love in his best years in Minny and tell me he's not as good as Curry was (and Curry didn't even show up for the first 3 games of the finals). Hell maybe even Jonas develops into that guy or DD comes back next year with 40 feet of range (not happening lol).

But the people thinking we're gonna get there by flipping DeMar for Justise Winslow or Noah Vonleh... lmfao.

Comment

• Lol if you told the hornets that you wanted to do a dd for their 9 pick plus filler) on draft night i think they would have said no. That isnt even aboutdd, they think kaminsky is the answer. They were reportedly offered 6 picks for the number 9 (including a brookyln unprotected, so some good picks) and they turned it down, not for winslow who will be a star in miami but kaminsky

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
                Btw DeRozan retiring a Raptor doesn't mean he's the face of the franchise. For example, Udonis Haslem is going to probably start and finish his career with the Heat and I wouldn't exactly call him the face of that team lol.

I do hope that at some point we get a player who can really be that 1A guy, but I don't think that'll be because we traded DeRozan to get him. Tbh I even think Kevin Love could be the #1 guy on a championship team if the supporting cast, coaching and system were good enough. Watch Love in his best years in Minny and tell me he's not as good as Curry was (and Curry didn't even show up for the first 3 games of the finals). Hell maybe even Jonas develops into that guy or DD comes back next year with 40 feet of range (not happening lol).

But the people thinking we're gonna get there by flipping DeMar for Justise Winslow or Noah Vonleh... lmfao.
                DD could retire as a Raptor, but comparing him to Haslem is not fair comparison. Haslem is a role player (so a mid-level salary player).. and close friends with the superstar that is on the team (Wade). It was Wade that kept Haslem on the team (and it was easy to keep him since he was paid so well), and not Haslem himself. The Raptors don't have superstars with clout that would be adamant that the team keeps DeMar on. He's the 'superstar' but he's a flawed player.

There are only three ways the Raptors can get the 1A player: Draft, Free Agency and Trade.

How do the Raptors get the 1A player, with DD in the line up, using one of those three avenues?

Love was drafted 5th overall.. and Masai is not tanking so that rules out the draft. The NY/Denver pick can bring back a guy.. but it would probably be in the 7-10 range (or worse).. the range that you would not have wanted to trade DD for. Unless you feel that the pick could get us a talented player - just not one that would end up being better than DD?

For free agency, a guy like Love/KD/Lebron/Gasol/etc is not coming here.. not in my opinion..

The only trade bait the Raptors have are JV and KL that can bring anything of significance back. Trading both of these players creates a significant hole in the roster (PG and Center). And I'm not sure what kind of upgrade we'd get. KL is hitting 30 years old and has had issues with coaches in the past. JV is not even ranked in the top 14 by a current poll when looking at the 2011 draft class. JV is basically a slightly better version of Enes Kanter who was traded for Reggie Jackson (and other spare parts). Reggie Jackson is not a 1A player.

JV could become a 1A player.. and if that's what keeps DD here for the rest of his career - well then he better start passing him the ball.

Masai may keep DD and resign him. But if he gets a contract in the $20M range I personally think we're screwed.

Comment

• People have been saying to trade Demar for years. I knew it wouldn't happen. Probably will never happen.

People just don't seem to get the fact that this is Demar's team. The only homegrown all-star we had (outside of Carter and Bosh). Still only 25 years old.

There's a reason you never hear a legit source mention the Raps shopping Demar.

The Raps really value Demar. They run their offensive system through him. He works hard, improves every year and loves the city. The team experienced back to back franchise records in wins with Demar being the focal point of the offense.

Unless, we receive a king's ransom I just don't see us trading Demar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post
                    People have been saying to trade Demar for years. I knew it wouldn't happen. Probably will never happen.

People just don't seem to get the fact that this is Demar's team. The only homegrown all-star we had (outside of Carter and Bosh). Still only 25 years old.

There's a reason you never hear a legit source mention the Raps shopping Demar.

The Raps really value Demar. They run their offensive system through him. He works hard, improves every year and loves the city. The team experienced back to back franchise records in wins with Demar being the focal point of the offense.

Unless, we receive a king's ransom I just don't see us trading Demar.

So cool that someone on this board has so much direct insider info.

"Stop eating your sushi."
                    "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                    "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                    - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• I thought it was obvious but.....

Demars team sucks.

Can it be someone else's team now?

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                        I thought it was obvious but.....

Demars team sucks.

Can it be someone else's team now?
                        Wasn't that someone supposed to be Ross? lol

Maybe Demar's team "sucks" because defensively he has to play major minutes with the following defensive scrubs (GV, Ross, JV).

Let's finally bring in some better players!

That being said, I wouldn't mind Ross at his true position (a BENCH SG). I still have high hopes for JV improving defensively. Goodbye GV - good guy but horrible defender.

Comment

• I always saw the current Raptors as Lowry's team, but I'd preferably have the players refer to it as OUR team.

Sure, one of them can definitely be the alpha dog. At the same time nobody should be expected to 'carry' the team on their back by themselves, especially during tough times.
                          OG is our king

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post
                            Wasn't that someone supposed to be Ross? lol

Maybe Demar's team "sucks" because defensively he has to play major minutes with the following defensive scrubs (GV, Ross, JV).

Let's finally bring in some better players!

That being said, I wouldn't mind Ross at his true position (a BENCH SG). I still have high hopes for JV improving defensively. Goodbye GV - good guy but horrible defender.

Can we just leave him there and put a dunce cap on him?
                            OG is our king

Comment

• I don't understand why you guys (Special1 and Jwash) will defend DeMar to death and actually want to subject yourselves to very mediocre basketball by declaring DeMar as the man of the team with no desire to look for any upgrades. Like, why? Cause he looks cool when he makes a fadeaway?
                              You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
                                I'm not even part of the camp that says we have to keep DeRozan at all costs. If a deal that greatly benefits us long-term comes along, by all means trade him. But this idea that he "has to go" before he signs some monster contract or simply because he isn't good is one that is very likely not shared by the people running the Raptors, Masai included.

Saw all these "dream" scenarios of swapping DeRozan for mediocre prospects or mid-late lottery picks prior to the draft, which are the exact same things people were suggesting last year (DD to the Lakers for 7 ring a bell?). It's not going to happen. The dude is going to be a Raptor-lifer, if that makes some of you want to jump off a cliff... then by all means.

I don't think DeRozan is a superstar or anything, but sometimes the NBA isn't all about blowing unless you have a championship team (some fans have that mentality, but if all front offices did teams like Houston, Atlanta and Golden State wouldn't be where they're at right now), sometimes it is about building with what you have and DeRozan is an all-star talent in his prime who's high character and willing to be part of something bigger in Toronto (those last 2 things are the least important but still very key when building a team).

Some of you ought to broaden your perspective a little because it seems very likely this dude is going to retire a Raptor.
                                Wow this MAY be the funniest thing I've read on this forum in a long time! Possibly funnier than 10forthewin?

Sent from my Samsung S6 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X