No announcement yet.

Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A footnote in a Wolstat article about a "whisper" that DeRozan would look for the max has quickly become a certified fact for a lot of people.

I don't doubt that DD will want to be well compensated on his next deal (just like every other player in the NBA), but there's a certain amount of cat and mouse that goes on during these negotiations. Thinking that you need to run out and trade DeRozan ASAP because you just don't think the Raptors will be able to sign him to a reasonable deal is a little disingenuous. It's pretty common practice for agents to posture by coming in at a much higher number than they'd ultimately settle for.

Plus I see a lot of scoffing at the notion that DeRozan has built a relationship with the city/organization but it's true. I don't expect him to hand out any massive home town discounts but the idea that he's going to hold the team hostage or leave the team next summer with 0 warning and no compensation basically goes against everything we know about the guy personality wise. I think some of us are guilty of equating a selfish style of basketball with a selfish person, but he's high character by all accounts.
    Last edited by Fully; Sun Jun 28, 2015, 05:34 PM.

Comment

• Fully wrote: View Post
      A footnote in a Wolstat article about a "whisper" that DeRozan would look for the max has quickly become a certified fact for a lot of people.

I don't doubt that DD will want to be well compensated on his next deal (just like every other player in the NBA), but there's a certain amount of cat and mouse that goes on during these negotiations. Thinking that you need to run out and trade DeRozan ASAP because you just don't think the Raptors will be able to sign him to a reasonable deal is a little disingenuous. It's pretty common practice for agents to posture by coming in at a much higher number than they'd ultimately settle for.

Plus I see a lot of scoffing at the notion that DeRozan has built a relationship with the city/organization but it's true. I don't expect him to hand out any massive home town discounts but the idea that he's going to hold the team hostage or leave the team next summer with 0 warning and no compensation basically goes against everything we know about the guy personality wise. I think some of us are guilty of equating a selfish style of basketball with a selfish person, but he's high character by all accounts.
      To be fair, to some it's straight up because they don't think he plays basketball helpful to a championship team.

Also, he might be high character, but that doesn't mean his basketball IQ is very high. He doesn't seem to notice the fact that contested long 2s aren't very good for scoring. As he's said himself, it's "better" for him to shoot contested shots rather than open ones.

Overall, I'd be fine if we hire a coach who values ball movement and kept DeMar. I could see a role for him under that type of coach which would be valuable, a role kind of like the one he had on Team USA with more slashing. But we don't have that coach, and if you get a good deal for DeMar, I think you take it. Even with his potential under a good coach, there are better fits out there that let us do more on both sides of the ball.

Comment

• Fully wrote: View Post
        A footnote in a Wolstat article about a "whisper" that DeRozan would look for the max has quickly become a certified fact for a lot of people.

Those are good points especially about DD's loyalty to the franchise. I think Masai can easily say that DD has been given everything that he has wanted and has appeased DD's needs pretty well. Especially with the keeping of Casey as Head Coach since they've built a long lasting relationship together. I think if Masai fired Casey initially like some of us outraged fans wanted at the end of the season, DD would be more likely to leave in free agency with out any regard to the Raptors.

However, I think DD still has the power in his favour to negotiate the way he wants. He can still say he wants X amount of money and leverage how much the organizations would be willing to pay him. Free agents generally control their paydays and destinations. Look at Eric Bledsoe's situation last year in PHX.

Even if we don't trade him this off-season, its still a good idea for Masai to consider and explore options of what he can get for Derozan. Waiting until next season with the expectation that DD will resign with the Raptors at a lower value than what he's expecting would be a grave error. I think Masai should start shopping DD come July 1st and pull the trigger if he gets a great deal on him.
        Last edited by BS10; Sun Jun 28, 2015, 05:57 PM.
        #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

• People are focusing too much on the max aspect and forgetting the thread where people put their "happy to pay" price for DD. Most seemed in the $12M-$18M range. If DD is starting at $25.3M, then that is a big difference to start.
          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
            People are focusing too much on the max aspect and forgetting the thread where people put their "happy to pay" price for DD. Most seemed in the $12M-$18M range. If DD is starting at $25.3M, then that is a big difference to start.
            If that's the start then its the shortest discussion ever

Comment

• Every single player on our team should technically be "available" via trade. Nobody is untouchable. If you get a great offer for DD that makes sense for the team long-term, then sure pull the trigger.

This notion that we need to pull the trigger and deal him or "sell high" or whatever just really doesn't make a lot of sense. It's the same narrative that's been spewed every year since his 3rd season...

Comment

• I'd still like to see DeRozan signed somewhere between $15 - $17 million (roughly what Lowry got with inflation added because it's the "new" cap) and I'd still be fine with trading him if it's a home run deal. I just disagree with the notion that you need to trade him next week based on a rumoured 'whisper' about his plans for next summer, and certainly not for some of the half baked trade proposals that have been tossed around in the thread.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
                  Every single player on our team should technically be "available" via trade. Nobody is untouchable. If you get a great offer for DD that makes sense for the team long-term, then sure pull the trigger.

This notion that we need to pull the trigger and deal him or "sell high" or whatever just really doesn't make a lot of sense. It's the same narrative that's been spewed every year since his 3rd season...
                  I wanted to trade high on him in his second season. Everyone else is too patient.

Comment

• I'm sorry but if Ujiri is deal Trashquez away for future 1sts. I don't see him swapping DeRozan, an all-star and team USA member in his prime for Noah fucking Vonleh lol.

If he does get traded we will get a war chest, not some dude who has a 1% chance of becoming the next Chris Bosh.

Comment

• I think Masai took a lull during last year of making any moves which was a mistake. I think he should have been "open for business" all last year and tried to get something in the works. He should have went with his intuition of not being sold on our team and the need of reconfiguration.
                      #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                        If that's the start then its the shortest discussion ever
                        Don't be misled my friend. This whole conversation of $25 million in 2016 vs 12-18 in 2015 is explained well in the front page article.

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2015/...ains-the-same/

It is all about the percentage from the Cap ... The Cap is significantly going up and this is why salaries are going up.

I urge everyone to read that article Zarar as it explains what these numbers mean. Here few people are using these numbers as a scare tactic to turn people off on DD.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
                          I'm sorry but if Ujiri is deal Trashquez away for future 1sts. I don't see him swapping DeRozan, an all-star and team USA member in his prime for Noah fucking Vonleh lol.

If he does get traded we will get a war chest, not some dude who has a 1% chance of becoming the next Chris Bosh.
                          Noah fucking Vonleh, no way in hell but if they add a late second....

Comment

• McRealistic wrote: View Post
                            Don't be misled my friend. This whole conversation of $25 million in 2016 vs 12-18 in 2015 is explained well in the front page article.

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2015/...ains-the-same/

It is all about the percentage from the Cap ... The Cap is significantly going up and this is why salaries are going up.

I urge everyone to read that article Zarar as it explains what these numbers mean. Here few people are using these numbers as a scare tactic to turn people off on DD.
                            Even if the cap increases Demar isn't worth 25M. Rather try to give Durant and his gimpy foot 40M

Comment

• BS10 wrote: View Post
                              I think Masai took a lull during last year of making any moves which was a mistake. I think he should have been "open for business" all last year and tried to get something in the works. He should have went with his intuition of not being sold on our team and the need of reconfiguration.
                              I think you're like the rest of us and have no real idea on what was on the table for Ujiri and at any given point last year. Not trying to be a dick but Ujiri is renowned as one of the most hard working, diligent and shrewd GMs in the game. To think that he just put his feet up on his desk all of last season because he didn't want to make a move doesn't click - it probably just means that he didn't get the right offer.

Comment

• BS10 wrote: View Post
                                I think Masai took a lull during last year of making any moves which was a mistake. I think he should have been "open for business" all last year and tried to get something in the works. He should have went with his intuition of not being sold on our team and the need of reconfiguration.
                                Sorry but unless you have a job in the Raptors front office, how do you know this...

Comment

Working...
                                X