Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
    USA Basketball also chose DeJuan Blair, Jeremy Lin, and Greg Steimsma for their Select Team.

Just saying.
    Select team. Meaning practise squad.
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• He makes Team USA
      He makes All-Star as a reserve meaning that all the "coaches" believe he was one of the top 15 players in the east that year.
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post
        *Select team* .... Lol.
        Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
        Select team. Meaning practise squad.
        DeRozan was also once selected to that "practice squad", haha.

Anyways, are you trying to tell me that there wasn't a better player than Jeremy Lin available to practice against? Or can we admit that USA Basketball sometimes makes questionable decisions.

Which goes back to the original post I was responding to. That just because DeRozan was chosen by Team USA, that doesn't automatically make him a superstar. Just ask Mason Plumlee.

Comment

Anyways, are you trying to tell me that there wasn't a better player than Jeremy Lin available to practice against? Or can we admit that USA Basketball sometimes makes questionable decisions.

Which goes back to the original post I was responding to. That just because DeRozan was chosen by Team USA, that doesn't automatically make him a superstar. Just ask Mason Plumlee.
          Yes, he was when he was like 21. He kept working and came back and made the actual team. Can you say the same about Jeremy Lin and Blair?
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
            Yes, he was when he was like 21. He kept working and came back and made the actual team. Can you say the same about Jeremy Lin and Blair?
            I'm not suggesting Lin and Blair's careers are on par with DeRozan. I'm saying that being on Team USA alone isn't enough to be above criticism.

Comment

I don't think anyone is arguing that Demar is a Super Star because he was selected to Team USA. What is being argued, is that while they had their choice of several other players (all of whom people around here would trade DD for in a second), they chose Demar. To compare that choice to selecting Lin to be on the practice squad is something though ...
              What I do find amazing is that people will actually try and make it seem like nothing, when in actual fact, any one of a number of players would have loved to have their names called for that team, and Demar was the one selected. Its an accolade he should be proud of, and frankly to try and discredit it as an accomplishment is pretty silly.

What grinds my gears the most though, is there are people around here who will in one sentense say something like "being selected to the All-Star team by other coaches, and being selected to Team USA means NOTHING; he's still a scrub." and yet, will go on to say that "because of these accomplishments, other GMs will pay out the teeth to get DD, because his case is going to be 'I was once an All-Star'". How is it that these are throw-away accomplishments, and yet also worth $20M-$25M per?

Comment

I'm not suggesting Lin and Blair's careers are on par with DeRozan. I'm saying that being on Team USA alone isn't enough to be above criticism.
                Just didn't mention Team USA. I mentioned two situations where highly respected coaches choice DD over other players.
                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                  I don't think anyone is arguing that Demar is a Super Star because he was selected to Team USA. What is being argued, is that while they had their choice of several other players (all of whom people around here would trade DD for in a second), they chose Demar. To compare that choice to selecting Lin to be on the practice squad is something though ...
                  What I do find amazing is that people will actually try and make it seem like nothing, when in actual fact, any one of a number of players would have loved to have their names called for that team, and Demar was the one selected. Its an accolade he should be proud of, and frankly to try and discredit it as an accomplishment is pretty silly.

What grinds my gears the most though, is there are people around here who will in one sentense say something like "being selected to the All-Star team by other coaches, and being selected to Team USA means NOTHING; he's still a scrub." and yet, will go on to say that "because of these accomplishments, other GMs will pay out the teeth to get DD, because his case is going to be 'I was once an All-Star'". How is it that these are throw-away accomplishments, and yet also worth $20M-$25M per?
                  Joey, this is what I was responding to:

JWash wrote: View Post
                  Yeah I'm sorry but Team USA is not retarded.

They wouldn't put him on the team if he wasn't good....
                  It's an appeal to authority. I was simply pointing out the fallacy.

Comment

Joey, this is what I was responding to:

It's an appeal to authority. I was simply pointing out the fallacy.
                    Ya sorry, I wasn't really just responding to your post, but more so the general argument, as this point of "All-Star/Team USA selection means nothing" has come up quite a bit, on both ends: to point out how Demar isn't really as good as some think, but also how we need to trade him because other teams will be drooling over those very accolades.

But to your point of pointing out the fallacy; for that to be true, would we not need to concede then that the Coaches are not an appropriate authoriy for making that decision? And if they are not, who is?

Comment

Ya sorry, I wasn't really just responding to your post, but more so the general argument, as this point of "All-Star/Team USA selection means nothing" has come up quite a bit, on both ends: to point out how Demar isn't really as good as some think, but also how we need to trade him because other teams will be drooling over those very accolades.

But to your point of pointing out the fallacy; for that to be true, would we not need to say then that the Coaches are not an appropriate authoriy for making that decision?
                      Yup, we all remember the Joe Johnson allstar selection 2 years ago, right? Even the most knowledgeable people on any topic, can make a mistake.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                        He makes Team USA
                        He makes All-Star as a reserve meaning that all the "coaches" believe he was one of the top 15 players in the east that year.
                        not one of the top 15 players, but one of the top last year based on position,

And we all know there were alot of injured guards last year

Comment

Team USA doesnt matter when It comes to NBA. Laetner was a member of the dream team, how was his nba career again?

Comment

• Bear wrote: View Post
                            Team USA doesnt matter when It comes to NBA. Laetner was a member of the dream team, how was his nba career again?
                            I suppose technically you are correct in saying it "doesn't matter", but it certainly does speak to the reputation Demar has amongst respected Basketball minds.

Once again, I'm not saying it projects him to be a Super Star or anything, but simply that being selected to Team USA implies he is viewed as a positive contributer to a team of collected Super Stars.

Comment

I suppose technically you are correct in saying it "doesn't matter", but it certainly does speak to the reputation Demar has amongst respected Basketball minds.

Once again, I'm not saying it projects him to be a Super Star or anything, but simply that being selected to Team USA implies he is viewed as a positive contributer to a team of collected Super Stars.
                              I would want to know the total list of candidates for team usa first before agreeing to that, because, yes demar is talented, but i would be shocked if other players werent prefered but could not or would not participate.

Comment

• Bear wrote: View Post
                                I would want to know the total list of candidates for team usa first before agreeing to that, because, yes demar is talented, but i would be shocked if other players werent prefered but could not or would not participate.
                                Its all there for you to see. You can see exactly who Demar tried out against, and who he was selected over.

Comment

Working...
                                X