Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
    Well, it is a soft cap that is exploding upwards, so it's not so dissimilar from a non-cap world.
    In favor of re-signing DeMar, but that is simply not true.

Cap explodes upwards next year to 89M and then supposed to go up to about 108M in 2017. Then it comes back down to 100M, and from there it's supposed to have marginal yearly increases like it does now. Although things could change drastically in the new CBA/lockout so who knows. Maybe the players will finally negotiate to have no salary cap at all lol.

But as it stands, it's not an infinite cap, still need to be smart with your spending.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
      In favor of re-signing DeMar, but that is simply not true.

Cap explodes upwards next year to 89M and then supposed to go up to about 108M in 2017. Then it comes back down to 100M, and from there it's supposed to have marginal yearly increases like it does now. Although things could change drastically in the new CBA/lockout so who knows. Maybe the players will finally negotiate to have no salary cap at all lol.

But as it stands, it's not an infinite cap, still need to be smart with your spending.
      Of course, but if you're prepared to pay the tax, and already have value-contracts in the fold, you have a lot of room to play with in the new cap era.

Comment

Well, it is a soft cap that is exploding upwards, so it's not so dissimilar from a non-cap world.
        As long as there is a cap (a limit on team salary) then I don't want Derozan to have more than 20-25% of it
        A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

• e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
          As long as there is a cap (a limit on team salary) then I don't want Derozan to have more than 20-25% of it
          But there isn't technically a limit on team salary, it's a soft cap.

Comment

But there is a limit to what we can offer free agents, vis-a-vis cap holds and such...

The very word cap means "limit". Whether it's hard or soft, doesn't change what it is...
            (Kinda like a penis...)
            A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

that is not a good reason to keep the kid.
              Nor is "we cant trade him for anyone better"

cause of course you cant trade 1 player for 1 other better player.

Comment

• Regardless, I'm not that scared of paying DeMar. I doubt Masai is either. You do your best to retain him for around 20 mill, and if he walks, you recoup value with the cap space it opens up.

Comment

Regardless, I'm not that scared of paying DeMar. I doubt Masai is either. You do your best to retain him for around 20 mill, and if he walks, you recoup value with the cap space it opens up.
                  Yup I think this is smarter than dumping him for pennies on the dollar out of fear of overpaying him or him leaving. Plus even if you do have to overpay a bit to re-sign him, that's likely because other teams wanted him as well. He would have higher value locked up long-term to THOSE teams than he would as a 10M expiring UFA (which is what he is now assuming he does the logical and declines his player option).

Comment

Yup I think this is smarter than dumping him for pennies on the dollar out of fear of overpaying him or him leaving. Plus even if you do have to overpay a bit to re-sign him, that's likely because other teams wanted him as well. He would have higher value locked up long-term to THOSE teams than he would as a 10M expiring UFA (which is what he is now assuming he does the logical and declines his player option).
                    Or we could dump him for a couple of 50 cent pieces and quarters which could turn into toonies and 5 dollar bills if smelted correctly...

DeMar for Favors.

Comment

Not necessarily since now, if they still wanted him, they'd have to part with assets rather than being able to get him while keeping what they previously had.
                      "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                      "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

who said anything about dumping him for pennies on the dollar, demar has limited worth.

Hell, Harden...a perennial allstar and MVP candidate only netted Kevin Martin, Jeremy Lamb and 2 late firsts.

Lets get real here, demar is worth expiring, a young player with potential and a pick.

Comment

• I mean, that's the nice thing about the cap going up this year - if you're not way above the cap and your free agent walks, you don't really lose (much) value (depending on the free agent in question).

Comment

• Snooch wrote: View Post
                            who said anything about dumping him for pennies on the dollar, demar has limited worth.

Hell, Harden...a perennial allstar and MVP candidate only netted Kevin Martin, Jeremy Lamb and 2 late firsts.

Lets get real here, demar is worth expiring, a young player with potential and a pick.
                            And trading Harden for that package was a MASSIVE mistake. He presented a lot more value himself; DeMar could present a similar situation.

Comment

• Mindlessness wrote: View Post
                              Or we could dump him for a couple of 50 cent pieces and quarters which could turn into toonies and 5 dollar bills if smelted correctly...

DeMar for Favors.
                              I know you are joking but you are right.

If Demar is 1 dollar, and you can get 45 cents, a 50 cent investment that may increase or decrease and a scratch ticket you take that deal.

Comment

And trading Harden for that package was a MASSIVE mistake.
                                Yeah cause Harden is 20 times the player Demar is, and everyone though harden would explode, no one is thinking a 7th year player is gonna have a Harden-esque breakout.

Comment

Working...
                                X