5 Offseason Pitfalls BC Must avoid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 Offseason Pitfalls BC Must avoid

1. wasting Draft pick on tweener Jared Sullinger (see Sean May / Ike Diogu)

2. Not Dealing Bargs in the off season would be a huge mistake (Greg Munro is already a better fit on a winning team)

3. Over paying Weems/Reggie to return (should try to keep both)

4. Not Dealing Kleiza would be a mistake - When you look at how JJ defends the perimeter and compare it to Kleiza.... nuff said

5. wasting 9mil Cap Exemp - package some of the non-core players and get some new blood in from a winning program with an emphasis on Defense if possible.
    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

4. What would you give the Raptors for a guy who won't be able to play until the spring of 2012 at the earliest?

I would answer the question with either, "nothing" or "a long, bloated contract that no one wants to take".

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
      4. What would you give the Raptors for a guy who won't be able to play until the spring of 2012 at the earliest?

I would answer the question with either, "nothing" or "a long, bloated contract that no one wants to take".
      I do agree, thank-you once again for reminding eveyone that Kleiza will be gone for 12 months. also

3. We should never even think about signing Weems to a contract , I'm very dissapointed in his play this year. Reggie would be great on this team if we were competitve, I don't think he will want to resign in Toronto, any competitive team would love to have Reggie on it.

Comment

Weems is the most underrated and unfairly hated player on this team.

Comment

With Bargs and Kleiza, I think Colangelo should shop both of them in the coming year (an offseason trade is pretty much impossible for Kleiza), but the worst mistake he could make is feeling that he needs to trade them. Seriously, that is how GMs make a bad situation worse. It's not a simple case of addition by subtraction - he needs to win both trades, meaning get better players back who fit with the team identity better and have reasonable contracts, or pick up additional picks or flexibility. If a deal isn't out there that actually brings back these things, then Colangelo would do better to wait on them until the market for these guys improves. Right now, neither is holding back anyone else on the roster... we don't have another decent C who deserves minutes, and Kleiza won't be taking anyone's playing time in the near future. If we were to draft Kanter or Valanciunas, that might change; if it does, then trading Bargs becomes a serious topic for discussion.

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
            green font....Weems so hyped up that most fans think demar and weems is the next vc and tracy mcgrady.....

Comment

KakashiPrince wrote: View Post
              green font....Weems so hyped up that most fans think demar and weems is the next vc and tracy mcgrady.....

They will be in a couple of seasons. Book it.

Comment

Wow, your man-crush is undeniable.
                “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

charlz wrote: View Post

2. Not Dealing Bargs in the off season would be a huge mistake (Greg Munro is already a better fit on a winning team)

4. Not Dealing Kleiza would be a mistake - When you look at how JJ defends the perimeter and compare it to Kleiza.... nuff said

5. wasting 9mil Cap Exemp - package some of the non-core players and get some new blood in from a winning program with an emphasis on Defense if possible.
                  That is of course, he's still the Raps' GM
                  “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Underrated and unfairly hated player? He is overrated, and thinks he's Kobe Bryant. The dude sucks, he has a couple games where he gets streaky, but his defense and team-play make him our worst player this season IMO. Yes, worse than Ajinca.

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                      Wow, your man-crush is undeniable.
                      I don't have a man-cruch on him, I just think the hate and the negativity is unwarranted.

----
                      I posted this in the other thread but whatever

http://yfrog.com/nyscreenshothbp

http://yfrog.com/nnscreenshot1ysp

http://yfrog.com/44screenshot2dsp

http://yfrog.com/5ascreenshot3fsp

http://yfrog.com/5oscreenshot4yngp

http://yfrog.com/nmscreenshot5ap

http://yfrog.com/f3screenshot6oup

http://yfrog.com/jbscreenshot7top

http://yfrog.com/12screenshot86gp

Comment

Weems isn't terrible. I'll admit he's not that good, but its Triano's Fault for putting him at SF he just doesn't have the height and strength to guard the taller SF's in this league. I'd keep him as a 3rd string SG and give him like 12 minutes or sumthing, i'm almost sure he'd improve if they did that. I'd hate to see the dude leave cuz he'd suffer, what team do u think would want weems? if any team did take him he'd be at the end of the bench or in the D league. I say try to keep him for cheap and help the guy develop his game.

Comment

1. wasting Draft pick on tweener Jared Sullinger (see Sean May / Ike Diogu) SO TRUE

Can we get rid of his SOFT no grit pasta eating arse ASAP

-Excellent point, drop Weems asap if need be we can just source another one of him from the D league at any time
                          -Reggie is ok, he could stay or go.. but it boggles my mind that the dude can't make a bucket to save his life, just throw it down big man whats wrong with you?

Not the time to deal Kleiza, but I dont think he should be included in parts of the plan for the future. It is best to wait for him to heal up a bit, play a few games, show that he can walk and chop him out before next years trade deadline to get MAX value for him. Maybe try and pick up another mid high first round pick for him?

Comment

b2kelly wrote: View Post
                            Not the time to deal Kleiza, but I dont think he should be included in parts of the plan for the future. It is best to wait for him to heal up a bit, play a few games, show that he can walk and chop him out before next years trade deadline to get MAX value for him. Maybe try and pick up another mid high first round pick for him?
                            The flip side is he gets healthy and shows why he was signed. Kleiza never had a chance to play healthy after the beginning of preseason.

Comment

Let's go through this...

1. I'm taking it that you've never seen Sullinger play. If you had, there's no way you'd be comparing the kid to Ike Diogu or Sean May. Some might not like the fact that he's not a prolific shot blocker, but the kid has a ridicuolously high basketball IQ, leads the team in scoring, has a nose for rebounding and is the best player on the best team in the nation. He was nominated as a player of the year award - all of this in his freshman year.

2. Not dealing Bargnani would be a mistake? You know what kind of deals are going to be presented/offered to Colangelo for Bargnani? Not very good ones. Many general managers will point to his deficiencies in regards to reboudning and will lowball Colangelo. I'd rather have Bargnani than some other stiff that'll clog up the cap.

3. Weems won't get much, but Reggie will get the MLE - If not from us, he'll get it from some other team. It might take a bit more from us to lock him in and prevent him from going to a contender.

4. Not dealing Kleiza would be a mistake? Seriously? The guy's gone for at least a year, so you think someone's gonna want to deal for him? Kleiza put up the numbers he did with a serious knee problem. I wouldn't start Johnson over him.

5. Wasting the remaining exemption 9M? Packaging the non-core players. Right. Because team in the league is dying for OUR bench players. I'm sure there's a plethora of contending teams out there that really wants to package their players for "non-core" players on one of the worst teams in the league.

Comment

Working...
                              X