Franchise Player?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Franchise Player?

I know this will get moved in no time, but that All Bargnani thread is ridiculous to sort though.

There is a huge divide on the Andrea front, we all know that. I just want to kn ow who actually thinks he is thought of as a franchise player. People argue to get rid of him because he can't be "the man" on the team, but who really thinks he is the man.

I like Andrea, I want him to do well, but I don't think that this is his team, he is just a part of it. The Lakers are Kobe's team, the Magic are Dwight's team, but I don't think anyone thinks this is Andrea's team.

Please just give a simple answer and not bashing anyone, who thinks Andrea is the Franchise?
    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

ya i agree he's just part of the team but he just isn't a franchise player. I think Derozan maybe a franchise player we'll see if he takes that one big step and becomes that all star player we desprately need.

Comment

Who Will Be The Raptors' Franchise Player?

WJF, this question has been discussed dozens of times in the Bargnani thread and there is no simple answer when that name comes up.

How about we change the topic to do the Raptors current have a franchise player? Do they have one in training?

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
        WJF, this question has been discussed dozens of times in the Bargnani thread and there is no simple answer when that name comes up.

How about we change the topic to do the Raptors current have a franchise player? Do they have one in training?
        DeMarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

Comment

No doubt if he finds a way to get to the line at the rate of Allen Iverson or Corey Maggette. The inside game needs to become his bread and butter. He'll define a style that's rare and tough to beat when you have outside shooters like Bargnani and Calderon demanding tight coverage.

Comment

the problem is the definition of FRANCHISE PLAYER.

Is it the max contract? Is it the team's attempt to surround compatible pieces to said player? Is it the media attention? Is it the most important player in the team's overall success? Or is it a combination of all of the above?

if it's the contract... bargs doesn't have it.. so he's no franchise player

this team also wasn't built around him. he's no foundation... i like him, but realistically he's a role player.. an offensive stud.. that's all

he definitely isn't being pushed by the raps organization as THE GUY like bosh was.

if a franchise player is the player who contributes the most to the team's success, the raps havent had one of those since Garbs..

and if it's all of the above, the raps havent had one of those since VC

The "Franchise" tag is way too much of a grey area... much like "glue guy"

Comment

do you think we could Garbajosa back?

Comment

I think money can be a barometer but its not the deciding factor. A franchise player in my opinion is a player who the team is built around who has outstanding abilities and who is looked to heavily for leadership. Teams can have more than one franchise player and a franchise player on one team might not be good enough to be considered a franchise play on another team. For example, in Michael Redd's prime he was considered a franchise player for the Bucks but had he been playing with Kidd when the Nets were contending I'm not sure if you could consider him a franchise player. I think a lot of it comes down to perspective.
                Last edited by Apollo; Thu Mar 24, 2011, 03:57 PM. Reason: typo. :P

Comment

to me it's who contributes the most to the team's culture and winning..

everyone says the pistons of the last decade didnt have a franchise player... BS... it was ben wallace

but people cant qualify a players contributions without quantitative data.. but the reality is, numbers are as fallible as unicorns.

Comment

James Johnson!

Comment

Who's team was the Detroit Pistons in the middle of the last decade or the current Celtics? There doesn't always have to be an alpha male in the locker room for a team to be good. In answer to the question, no it's not "Andrea's team." The stats aside, that type of player is reflected in the personality of a man rather. While Dirk and Steve are the franchise players for their respective teams they have very different personalities from Dwight Howard and Kobe Bryant. There are probably only a handful of these guys for every generation. It is foolish to assume that there are 30-32 guys kicking around at any time and that every team has to go out and get one.

The problem with the Raptors is that they spent about a decade with that label on guys (Carter and Bosh) who didn't quite have the personality to put an imprint on the team. A 48 minute game, maybe, but a team or a culture? They did actually, but it wasn't as positive an impact as possible.

Fans in any sport gravitate toward the lunch pail calibre guys but in the NBA they are treated like interchangable parts. Garbajosa still lingers after a short stay because of the energy he brought. Reggie Evans and Amir Johnson make the same impression now. Dwight Howard and Kobe Bryant bring that same tenacity to their teams and that is the Xfactor missing from Bosh, Carter and Bargnani. Any team that gets that hybrid of talent and effort will treasure it and that player will define the team.

The Raps are still looking for that and have to stop looking at Bargs to be that guy.

Comment

sillydebate wrote: View Post
                        Who's team was the Detroit Pistons in the middle of the last decade or the current Celtics? There doesn't always have to be an alpha male in the locker room for a team to be good. In answer to the question, no it's not "Andrea's team." The stats aside, that type of player is reflected in the personality of a man rather. While Dirk and Steve are the franchise players for their respective teams they have very different personalities from Dwight Howard and Kobe Bryant. There are probably only a handful of these guys for every generation. It is foolish to assume that there are 30-32 guys kicking around at any time and that every team has to go out and get one.

The problem with the Raptors is that they spent about a decade with that label on guys (Carter and Bosh) who didn't quite have the personality to put an imprint on the team. A 48 minute game, maybe, but a team or a culture? They did actually, but it wasn't as positive an impact as possible.

Fans in any sport gravitate toward the lunch pail calibre guys but in the NBA they are treated like interchangable parts. Garbajosa still lingers after a short stay because of the energy he brought. Reggie Evans and Amir Johnson make the same impression now. Dwight Howard and Kobe Bryant bring that same tenacity to their teams and that is the Xfactor missing from Bosh, Carter and Bargnani. Any team that gets that hybrid of talent and effort will treasure it and that player will define the team.

The Raps are still looking for that and have to stop looking at Bargs to be that guy.
                        People always point to the 2000's Pistons as an example of a Championship team without a franchise player, but there are two problems with that. The first is that, while they certainly were a very good team, they're the exception. You don't model anything after an exception. Secondly, while Billups will never be mentioned in the same breath as any of the greats, he's probably one of the most underrated players of all time. And very few players have ever played as well as him when it counted. And that's what matters most.

As for the Celtics, while they don't have one guy you can point to, they have two guys who can easily fill that role. Both Pierce and Garnett are better than anyone the Raptors have ever had and are Hall of Fame players. In essence, they have TWO franchise players.
                        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                          People always point to the 2000's Pistons as an example of a Championship team without a franchise player, but there are two problems with that. The first is that, while they certainly were a very good team, they're the exception. You don't model anything after an exception. Secondly, while Billups will never be mentioned in the same breath as any of the greats, he's probably one of the most underrated players of all time. And very few players have ever played as well as him when it counted. And that's what matters most.
                          i still say it was Big Ben. He defined that team's personality. I agree with you about Billups, but Ben was the main contributor to what that team should be remembered for. hard nosed disciplined blue collar defense. something i know you appreciate.

Comment

we don't have a franchise player and if we do that's a mistake.
                            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
                              i still say it was Big Ben. He defined that team's personality. I agree with you about Billups, but Ben was the main contributor to what that team should be remembered for. hard nosed disciplined blue collar defense. something i know you appreciate.
                              Wallace was the Rodman/Laimbeer of the Isiah-led Pistons. It was still Isiah's team, but those guys were what gave the team their identity.
                              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                              X