Bargnani Trade Idea Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hugmenot wrote: View Post
    That's beyond brutal and, in my opinion, would risk alienating the paying fan base and the remaining decent players.
    How do you really feel? lol

Short term pain for long term gain. A starting calibre wing who plays great D, is just as good as Bargnani from 3, and would be a great first wing off the bench should Toronto ever draft that superstar wing; a possible big man off the bench long term who is also an expiring contract; cap relief from Nocioni only have a team option for 2012-13 and a rugged veteran presence in the meantime; and a first round draft pick that could realistically be anywhere from 10-20.

The key would be to not over pay Wilson. If he was signed for a contract similar to Amir's, I'd be all over it.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
      How do you really feel? lol

Short term pain for long term gain. A starting calibre wing who plays great D, is just as good as Bargnani from 3, and would be a great first wing off the bench should Toronto ever draft that superstar wing; a possible big man off the bench long term who is also an expiring contract; cap relief from Nocioni only have a team option for 2012-13 and a rugged veteran presence in the meantime; and a first round draft pick that could realistically be anywhere from 10-20.

The key would be to not over pay Wilson. If he was signed for a contract similar to Amir's, I'd be all over it.
      I think he was referring to your Sept 20th post - the unlikely 5 team trade. That would produce a brutal roster in 11/12 (if a season did happen).
      Last edited by planetmars; Tue Nov 22, 2011, 05:04 PM.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
        I think he was referring to your Sept 30th post - the unlikely 5 team trade. That would produce a brutal roster in 11/12 (if a season did happen).
        Ahhhh, right you are.

Comment

That's beyond brutal and, in my opinion, would risk alienating the paying fan base and the remaining decent players.
          Disregard prior reply.

That roster would be brutal for 2011/12 however it would set up this in 2012:

PG: (?????), (Livingston?)
          SG: DD, (Webster?)
          SF: (?????), Kleiza, JJ
          PF: ED, Amir, (Reggie?)
          C: (Brown/Hayes?), JV, Alabi

The Raps would have 3 first round draft picks in 2012 and a sh*t-load of cap space to be a big player on the free agent market in the summer of 2012.
          You did not finish the quote with the rationale. I agree the roster would be beyond brutal, however, it would certainly allow the current young Raptors to show what they can do and see where they figure in to the future.

Three first round draft picks, a second round pick, and a boat load of cap space to go with a foundation of DD, ED, JV, Amir, JJ, and hopefully a healthy Kleiza and improved Alabi is not a bad thing long term. A really bad '11-12 could turn '12-13 in to the start of something special with a good draft and a big free agent signing.

Comment

• I'm not a fan of intentionally tanking for draft picks.

Comment

• Here's a trade I would like to see: Bargnani for Gerald Wallace. I believe it would benefit both clubs as Portland is deep at the 3 spot and Bargnani could come off the bench firing for Oden and/or Aldridge. This would clear the path for Batum to become an allstar and though Wallace has had a lot of wear and tear diving for loose balls, this trade would the kind of heart transplant the Raptors need in a big way.

Comment

I'm not a fan of intentionally tanking for draft picks.
                I would look at it as providing more playing time and experience to a group of young players who have yet to show their abilities in the league. Many fans are banking on these players being the future of the franchise. There would be no better way to find out if Bayless, JJ, ED, DD, and Alabi are here for the long term than trial by fire.

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
                  Here's a trade I would like to see: Bargnani for Gerald Wallace. I believe it would benefit both clubs as Portland is deep at the 3 spot and Bargnani could come off the bench firing for Oden and/or Aldridge. This would clear the path for Batum to become an allstar and though Wallace has had a lot of wear and tear diving for loose balls, this trade would the kind of heart transplant the Raptors need in a big way.
                  I would definitely do that trade. Wallace is 29 years old. He's not so old that he would be thinking about retiring, and his contract expires in 2 years as well.

I could see Portland doing it as well, especially if Camby retires. A healthy Oden could work with Bargnani.

Browsing through the Blazers forum on realgm I can see that most fans are hoping for either a backup PF or a center - which is basically Bargnani in a nutshell -http://forums.realgm.com/boards/view...27dec3e01877d4

Some fan also posted a trade for Bargnani here:
                  http://forums.realgm.com/boards/view...f=28&t=1134051

The trade is brutal (a bunch of scrubs and an old Camby) for Bargnani and Evans (who is a FA).

But the point is that it seems that some Blazer's fans would be okay with taking Bargnani.

Comment

I would definitely do that trade. Wallace is 29 years old. He's not so old that he would be thinking about retiring, and his contract expires in 2 years as well.

I could see Portland doing it as well, especially if Camby retires. A healthy Oden could work with Bargnani.

Browsing through the Blazers forum on realgm I can see that most fans are hoping for either a backup PF or a center - which is basically Bargnani in a nutshell -http://forums.realgm.com/boards/view...27dec3e01877d4

Some fan also posted a trade for Bargnani here:
                    http://forums.realgm.com/boards/view...f=28&t=1134051

The trade is brutal (a bunch of scrubs and an old Camby) for Bargnani and Evans (who is a FA).

But the point is that it seems that some Blazer's fans would be okay with taking Bargnani.
                    What about Aldridge? He should have been an All-Star last season and has certainly carried the franchise in the last year or two with Roy's injuries.

If Oden is healthy, who is the 6th man? Aldridge will be starting regardless.

Comment

• I'd start Aldridge with Oden (assuming he's healthy), and have Bargnani be the 6th man. On some nights you can even have Bargnani start as center with Aldridge (kind of like a Bargnani/Bosh combo, but Aldridge provides better defense in my opinion).

Camby is not going to be playing a full season.. he's an expiring contract and should easily be moveable. A solid three man rotation of Oden, Aldridge and Bargnani can be pretty good, especially since they are all young and in their prime.

If Oden shatters another leg then you have Bargnani as an insurance policy.

Comment

• With Bargnani as a 6th man you actually get many options. Bargnani could also sub in for Aldridge and play with Oden. There is a lot of flexibility which can cause nightmares for the defending team to come up with a suitable game plan.

Bargnani / Oden (or Bargnani / Aldridge) can really help spread the floor for someone like Roy to do his thing as well.

The big hurdle is to try and convince Portland in to taking Bargnani's contract - not so much the amount, but the length. Wallace has only 2 years left.. Bargs has 4. That's less flexibility to sign a FA in Portland especially with a tighter cap going forward.

Comment

With Bargnani as a 6th man you actually get many options. Bargnani could also sub in for Aldridge and play with Oden. There is a lot of flexibility which can cause nightmares for the defending team to come up with a suitable game plan.

Bargnani / Oden (or Bargnani / Aldridge) can really help spread the floor for someone like Roy to do his thing as well.

The big hurdle is to try and convince Portland in to taking Bargnani's contract - not so much the amount, but the length. Wallace has only 2 years left.. Bargs has 4. That's less flexibility to sign a FA in Portland especially with a tighter cap going forward.
                          They would have Bird Rights to Batum and Felton. Their roster would be set in my opinion. The only FA's they would be after regardless would be using exceptions.

I have no problem with Bargnani going to Portland but would not be keen on Wallace coming back in the deal.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            They would have Bird Rights to Batum and Felton. Their roster would be set in my opinion. The only FA's they would be after regardless would be using exceptions.

I have no problem with Bargnani going to Portland but would not be keen on Wallace coming back in the deal.
                            What in general are you looking to get for Bargnani? Youth, draft picks, a center? Or what is it about Wallace that you don't like? He's not that good that he would turn our team into a playoff team (or else Charlotte would have been a lot better), but I think he would bring that veteran defensive presence that our team desparately needs.

I think it would be a harder sell, but I'd also do a Camby+Batum for Bargnani deal. If it is a draft pick, then I'm not sure Portland is the right team.. they are a perennial play off team. Their pick would be high regardless.. and I think the only deal we might be able to make is Camby+pick for Bargnani, which is really just a pick for Bargnani, and the pick will be in the high teens/20's. That's not worth it in my opinion.

Comment

What in general are you looking to get for Bargnani? Youth, draft picks, a center? Or what is it about Wallace that you don't like? He's not that good that he would turn our team into a playoff team (or else Charlotte would have been a lot better), but I think he would bring that veteran defensive presence that our team desparately needs.

I think it would be a harder sell, but I'd also do a Camby+Batum for Bargnani deal. If it is a draft pick, then I'm not sure Portland is the right team.. they are a perennial play off team. Their pick would be high regardless.. and I think the only deal we might be able to make is Camby+pick for Bargnani, which is really just a pick for Bargnani, and the pick will be in the high teens/20's. That's not worth it in my opinion.
                              Any combination of expiring contracts, cheap veterans, and draft picks would be my goal with Bargnani.

Wallace does not like Toronto. I don't think he is a long term answer at SF for the Raptors. I've never heard of him being a great leader or role model on a team. His athleticism is what made him a great player and with him pushing 30, I don't see him keeping pace with the production he has put out. His shooting does nothing to help the Raptors in an area of need.

Comment

• http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=7qnqy49

TOR: Gay, Ridnour
                                MEM: Bargnani, Beasley
                                MIN: Calderon

Comment

Working...
                                X