No announcement yet.

Bargnani Trade Idea Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't know if Utah goes for that. They'd essentially be trading off Okur for Bargnani, when they have 2 promising big men in Kanter and Favors. Bargnani would just become an expensive guy off the bench. Let's not forget they also have Al Jefferson who is making big money. It's a good deal for us, decent deal for Indiana and piss poor for Utah.

Comment

• I was thinking that the reason why Utah does it is simply for cap space. Right now they owe $55 million for 9 contracts. This does not include Kanter, who I believe would get something like 3-5 million.

Utah may be nearing the tax threshold, and as a small market team who is essentially rebuilding, that can be killer. Even if they use the amnesty on Okur the owner still has to pay that off. The stretch amnesty only works for new contracts.

This proposal is essentially Millsap for Bargnani with cap relief. About 17 million out going, and 9 million in coming, which is a pretty good savings in my opinion. Toronto can help facilitate because we have cap space to take on Okur if we can trade Bargnani for him.

Again I'm not sure if this is good enough for Utah hence my last post - what is a Bargnani worth in the league?

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
        I was thinking that the reason why Utah does it is simply for cap space. Right now they owe $55 million for 9 contracts. This does not include Kanter, who I believe would get something like 3-5 million.

Utah may be nearing the tax threshold, and as a small market team who is essentially rebuilding, that can be killer. Even if they use the amnesty on Okur the owner still has to pay that off. The stretch amnesty only works for new contracts.

This proposal is essentially Millsap for Bargnani with cap relief. About 17 million out going, and 9 million in coming, which is a pretty good savings in my opinion. Toronto can help facilitate because we have cap space to take on Okur if we can trade Bargnani for him.

Again I'm not sure if this is good enough for Utah hence my last post - what is a Bargnani worth in the league?
        Moving Okur for Bargnani doesn't do much for Utah in my opinion outside of the financial relief you mentioned.

If a fourth team was brought in or Utah shipped Bargnani elsewhere before ever having a Jazz jersey, I could see that working.

Comment

• Why so much Kabongo hype? I don't get it. His stat line after 5 games at Texas is good for a first year player but not awe inspiring. 29% field goal percentage and 3.4 turnovers per game. It's hard to predict but if he comes out this year he would be fortunate to make the first round in the draft the way things stand. Against Texas, defenders are consistently going under the pick and roll with Myck daring him to shoot.

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
            Why so much Kabongo hype? I don't get it. His stat line after 5 games at Texas is good for a first year player but not awe inspiring. 29% field goal percentage and 3.4 turnovers per game. It's hard to predict but if he comes out this year he would be fortunate to make the first round in the draft the way things stand. Against Texas, defenders are consistently going under the pick and roll with Myck daring him to shoot.
            For me it's more so because he's a pass first guard and has Candian roots. There aren't too many PG's coming up in the draft and we need one.. having a player with the potential of Kabongo as a backup to Bayless I think could be a good thing going forward.

But you are right - he's having a terrible time in Texas right now. If he continues to have a rough year, then I'd pass on him as well.

Kabongo or not, I'd still like to have another pick in a really good draft.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
              For me it's more so because he's a pass first guard and has Candian roots. There aren't too many PG's coming up in the draft and we need one.. having a player with the potential of Kabongo as a backup to Bayless I think could be a good thing going forward.

But you are right - he's having a terrible time in Texas right now. If he continues to have a rough year, then I'd pass on him as well.

Kabongo or not, I'd still like to have another pick in a really good draft.
              I think Kabongo will be fine. He just needs another year at Texas without Brown holding the ball most of the time.

There were a lot of good point guards who played 2 years: Paul, Williams (actually 3), Rondo, Westbrook.

Realistically the Raptors could offer Bayless a qualifying offer in '12-13 keeping Calderon too and then draft Kabongo in the 2013 draft. DraftExpress has actually moved him to the 2013 mock draft.

Comment

• There is always the getting high route:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=bl8ddex

TOR: Arenas, Bass, Duhon, Anderson, 2012 1st (unprotected), 2014 1st (top-8 protected 2014 and unprotected 2015) and cash
                ORL: Calderon, Bargnani, Kleiza & Johnson

Toronto then amnesties Arenas. Toronto gains on the picks, dumps all their bad contracts in one go (Duhon is only bad contract let and it is a cheapie for all intents and purposes) and Bass is probably good trade bait. Toronto spends a LOT on Arenas buy-out.

Orlando gains on saving their amnesty (Turks or Bargs later?), saving the cost of an Arenas amnesty, upgrades their PG and PF spots and can give life with Dwight one more try. Orlando loses on salary in years 4 and 5 but the assets have more intrinsic value so it kind of balances out. Orlando could also look to:

- switch Calderon out for Barbosa
                - remove Johnson/Bass flip out of trade talks

Note that Orlando's 2014 pick is protected (to what degree I do not know) in case of rebuild and this is a plus for them.

Comment

• YKOil wrote: View Post
                  There is always the getting high route:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=bl8ddex

TOR: Arenas, Bass, Duhon, Anderson, 2012 1st (unprotected), 2014 1st (top-8 protected 2014 and unprotected 2015) and cash
                  ORL: Calderon, Bargnani, Kleiza & Johnson

Toronto then amnesties Arenas. Toronto gains on the picks, dumps all their bad contracts in one go (Duhon is only bad contract let and it is a cheapie for all intents and purposes) and Bass is probably good trade bait. Toronto spends a LOT on Arenas buy-out.

Orlando gains on saving their amnesty (Turks or Bargs later?), saving the cost of an Arenas amnesty, upgrades their PG and PF spots and can give life with Dwight one more try. Orlando loses on salary in years 4 and 5 but the assets have more intrinsic value so it kind of balances out. Orlando could also look to:

- switch Calderon out for Barbosa
                  - remove Johnson/Bass flip out of trade talks

Note that Orlando's 2014 pick is protected (to what degree I do not know) in case of rebuild and this is a plus for them.
                  An amnestied player must be cut by the team who had him on the roster and under contract prior to July 1st; he can't be traded. This is my understanding.

Comment

• I didn't think it was possible either. I then remembered Larry Coon answering this same question via Twitter.

Rules aren't finished yet, but word is "no" on this one. RT @pren01: Can a team trade for a player and amnesty them?

Source: @LarryCoon

Comment

• RicBucher Ric Bucher
                      Mentioned on SC a Monta Ellis + asset for Rudy Gay deal. Came from GS side. If Mem considered - big if - it would be for financial reasons.
                      If MEM even considered this, I hope BC has been on phone and offering Bargnani and Barbosa for Gay.

Comment

• Bargnani and Bayless for Ellis and resign Reggie Evans

I think this would be an amazing set of moves. We get a chance to see what a starting combo of Davis and A.Johnson can do (With Evans the backup), Derozan and Ellis (J.Johnson / Barbosa the backups) getting feed by Calderon (Barbosa / free agent backup).

I can see:
                        Davis and Amir combining for 17-23 rebs, 15-25 points, 1-4 blocks and 1-2 steal per game
                        Derozan and Ellis combining for 35-50 points a game, 5-10 rebs, 2-5 steals
                        Calderon 10-15 points, 9-13 assists, 1-2 steals (He will benifit a lot with Ellis by getting more open shot and better option to distribute)

What do you all think???

Comment

• Hmm

I've liked Ellis for a long time, and this might work. However, I wouldn't give up on Barg yet. For a 20 ppg player, he's a bargain. When he's on... no one can stop him, and he improves every year. If we could just make him react on help defence and when the ball is in the air. I can see him going to another team and tearing it up.

I'd rather trade Bayless + Amir + a 2nd round pick for Ellis.

Comment

• Not sure that Davis can defend 4 positions, which would have to be the case with DD, Ellis, Calderon on the floor.

Comment

• So we give up one 20 ppg scorer to get another who will cause players to play out of position. No thanks! DeMar would get destroyed by other teams small forwards, and we complain about Andrea now.
                              Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• Bargnani To pacers

Well i just thought of this last night off the top of my head. How bout we trade Nani to the Pacers for George Hill and their first rounder.
                                This way we have a 2nd first round pick that might be a lottery pick or just outside the lottery which we can draft Myck kabongo/Kendall Marshall with. George hill can help with 3pt shooting for a season and we could trade him the following off season or at the deadline.

Comment

Working...
                                X