The Raps rebuild compared to other franchises in rebuild mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Raps rebuild compared to other franchises in rebuild mode

Although I treat the recent Bargnani trade rumours as nothing more than just that, I can't help but think that if Andrea does get moved, this would really signify a true rebuild (rather than drafting and adding pieces around the core). My question is, if the team continues to get younger and build through the draft (and BC has had success with draft picks before), how many years would it take for this team to get respectability around the league (and making the playoffs every year)? Are the Raps going to take longer when compared to the following teams:

Nets (now has a foundation in Deron if he resigns)
    Denver (took the best players from the Knicks in the Melo and ran away with it)
    Houston (made small frugal moves that netted them Lee and has a solid core in Scola, Budinger, Dragic and yes, even Hasheem)
    Cleveland (will be getting 2 top 10 picks this year)
    Washington (with Wall as the future)

I'm not mentioning Sacramento and Minnesota because I'm not really sure when they started to rebuild or if they were always rebuilding. Would it take the Raps 2 seasons to make it to the playoffs? Thoughts?

“The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

i'd say 2 or more seasons. Maybe next year if we're really lucky.

Comment

With much to be done ...the high pick, use of the tpe, a judicious trade or two, some addition thru subtraction, coaching change and free agency (need not be the top tier)...all this summer, I would be much disappointed if most of these moves would not have us seriously knocking on the playoff door the year after next. I think we are in good position without much bloat and good cap position so all that is left is execution. It will also define BC's career going forward (if he gets an extension) so the self pressure is on for him to succeed.

Comment

Overall, I think Raptor's rebuild is going fine. We managed to get a very good piece out of the draft last year despite the fact we were trying to win with bosh. We don't have any untradeable contracts: BC managed to make Turkoglu vanish and get less money for fewer years back. We have some promising young players.

We do have one major issue, though: none of our prospects are sure-thing all-stars, and it seems impossible that anyone on the team right now will ever be in contention for the MVP. This year's draft is key.

How we do next year will depend on what BC does with his cap space. If he gets something really helpful, I think we will contend for a 7th or 8th. If not, internal improvement might bring us up to 32 wins or so...

Comment

I don't see Deron Williams resighing. The Nets are screwed.

Raptors_ wrote: View Post
          i'd say 2 or more seasons. Maybe next year if we're really lucky.
          I'd say 2 or 3 as well but only if BC comes back. This rebuild is doomed if we get someone else.

Comment

The Eastern Conference is so terrible Toronto could be in the playoffs next season... The question is, would making the playoffs and getting slaughtered in the first round get us any closer to being a championship team?

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
              Although I treat the recent Bargnani trade rumours as nothing more than just that, I can't help but think that if Andrea does get moved, this would really signify a true rebuild (rather than drafting and adding pieces around the core). My question is, if the team continues to get younger and build through the draft (and BC has had success with draft picks before), how many years would it take for this team to get respectability around the league (and making the playoffs every year)? Are the Raps going to take longer when compared to the following teams:

Nets (now has a foundation in Deron if he resigns)
              Denver (took the best players from the Knicks in the Melo and ran away with it)
              Houston (made small frugal moves that netted them Lee and has a solid core in Scola, Budinger, Dragic and yes, even Hasheem)
              Cleveland (will be getting 2 top 10 picks this year)
              Washington (with Wall as the future)

I'm not mentioning Sacramento and Minnesota because I'm not really sure when they started to rebuild or if they were always rebuilding. Would it take the Raps 2 seasons to make it to the playoffs? Thoughts?

I disagree on a few different fronts.

A.) The Nuggets aren't rebuilding. They moved two guys and they're looking to keep the rest together. They upgraded their already good team. No rebuild is going on there.

B.) Cleveland and Washington are not further ahead than the Raptors.

Cleveland has two lotto picks in a weak draft and there is no telling if either guy they pick will be successful. Then you need to consider the fact that they cast a dark cloud over the roster to get that pick when they took back out of shape Baron Davis and his huge, ridiculous contract. Him alone is going to stunt their growth by killing their flexibility. Right now, they don't have anywhere near the talent the Raptors have. After the draft they still might not be much closer because Colangelo is one of the best drafters in the league and Bargnani will probably be on the move.

Washington has a great young player but not a lot of other really good pieces around him. The maturity level of that team isn't high. If they're going to rely on guys like Blatche in the paint then no way they're better than the Raptors next season. One guy can only do so much.

I agree with you that the Nets and Rockets are in a better position right now. That could change overnight if the Raptors draft a stud and find good value for Bargnani.

Comment

The TPE, high draft pick and expiring contracts are assets which can make the team better for next season. So if this is season 1 of the rebuild then you can expect the team to be much better in season 2, but since there are no major assets going into season 3 (correct me if I'm wrong in this) the improvement will come from internal development. Esentially I feel that this off season will define our progress for the next 2 seasons, so BC better hit that elusive home run he's been looking for.

Comment

Also, the Rockets are in a pretty poor position going forward. Chase Budinger, Goran Dragic, Patrick Patterson and Jordan Hill are nobody's idea of a young core. They aren't good enough to win anything now, and they aren't going anywhere good, either.

And getting 2 early picks is nice and all, but Clevelands roster is absolute trash: only Eyenga and Varejao have any value going forward, and they have plenty of contract dead weight.

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
                    I don't see Deron Williams resighing. The Nets are screwed.

I'd say 2 or 3 as well but only if BC comes back. This rebuild is doomed if we get someone else.
                    Scary stuff if you're a Nets fan. Thank God we are in a better position.
                    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

Lets look at rebuilding teams.

At the top end you have Philadelphia/Memphis. Some solid players, with a coach and system that the whole team has bought into.
                      Next step Indiana, Houston. Both have lots of good players, but no star, or cornerstone to build their team around (need to trade). (Will throw in Charlotte in this category as well).

Next you have Milwaukee and Utah, teams with a lot of veterans but need to start over, in order to get back-in.

LA Clippers: The most promising of the non-playoff teams, are on the fast track to being Memphis next year and can go as high as OKC, if they get the right mix of veterans.

Golden State: The team needs tweaking, good pieces that just aren't getting it done.

Detroit: Lots of good players, with a bad mix of veterans and youth, working with a lame-duck coach. (needs to be blown up and simplified).

New Jersey: Two Allstars and a good coach, the rest of the team is monkey vomit.

Sacramento: Young core that should be moving upwards, but can't get any consistency yet. (lame duck coach).

Toronto/Washington/Minnesota: Young Monkey vomit. (lame duck coaches)

Cleveland: Total monkey vomit.
                      -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                      -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

Raptorsss wrote: View Post
                        Toronto/Washington/Minnesota: Young Monkey vomit. (lame duck coaches)
                        I wasn't aware that Triano, Saunders, and Rambis were, as you so eloquently put it, "lame duck coaches."

Triano and Rambis have never had a truly good team, and Saunders has a career winning percentage of .594.
                        Joshua Priemski
                        NBA blogger
                        SB Nation's Rufus on Fire
                        www.RufusOnFire.com/
                        www.twitter.com/HoopPlusTheHarm/

Comment

All three coaches, couldn't get the best out of their youg players. Rambis and Saunders had their chance, the players haven't improved. Triano back to back years as the worst defensive team in the league. That's on the coach more than the players.
                          -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                          -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

Working...
                          X