• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bayless: Starter vs. Bench numbers

Starter:
    9GP 33.1MPG 16.7PPG 49.1FG% 31.3 3pt% 79.1FT% 3.8REB 7.6AST 2.3TO 0.9STL

Off Bench:
    56GP 17.3MPG 6.6PPG .387FG% .3333P% .807FT% 2.0REB 3.0AST 0.4STL 1.5TO

Starting is a small sample size but it seems to me that he shoots a higher percentage and has less turnovers probably because he is not asked to come in and change the tempo or force the scoring on the second unit. His production doubles across the board in less than twice the minutes. 3:1 A/TO ratio is very good.

Do the Raptors have what they need right under their nose?
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Mon Apr 4, 2011, 01:56 PM. Reason: ESPN did not have updated stats when originally posted

He plays great when he's not having to look over his shoulder all the time.
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      Do the Raptors have what they need right under their nose?
      This is what I and a few others round these boards have been saying since he was brought over. I even started a thread that got to the main page on this topic. I'm not saying he will turn out to be a great option for the Raps as a starting PG - their oft searched-for "PG of the future." But I am saying that when he's had the opportunity to start, he's been excellent, therefore, he should have been given the opportunity to start. This way the organization will be in a far better position to know where they stand come draft time. Pittance playing-time in the final week of a very long season is not a good enough amount of time to judge.

It's frustrating to me that in a season that so clearly should have been devoted to development, Bayless has for some reason been overlooked. This one has to be on Triano (unless, as is possible, the mentality has been, "Play Jose. Let's see if he can continue to play well, and maybe well get some decent offers for him in the offseason." In which case, that's on BC, and may not be a bad strategy. And I'm a big Calderon fan, so don't accuse me of hating on him or treating him unfairly.)

Comment

I like Bayless. But people on this forum were saying he was one of the least effective players on the raps just like last week?

The problem is, he doesn't really play like a point guard. He has more of a monta ellis shooting guard style, he likes to slash, he likes to drive, and he looovvves to jack up shots rather than make the extra pass. But i think this is just him learning and growing as a young player

With more confidence (and less Jose). Bayless could be great for the Raptors

Comment

WBG416 wrote: View Post
          I like Bayless. But people on this forum were saying he was one of the least effective players on the raps just like last week?

The problem is, he doesn't really play like a point guard. He has more of a monta ellis shooting guard style, he likes to slash, he likes to drive, and he looovvves to jack up shots rather than make the extra pass. But i think this is just him learning and growing as a young player

With more confidence (and less Jose). Bayless could be great for the Raptors
          i've said since the raps got him that he's more of a SG.. unfortunately, i think it's a matter of pride for him.. it sounds better to say you're a PG than an undersized SG

personally, i dont think there's any shame in being "the next steve francis"........ unless you're steve francis.

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
            i've said since the raps got him that he's more of a SG.. unfortunately, i think it's a matter of pride for him.. it sounds better to say you're a PG than an undersized SG

personally, i dont think there's any shame in being "the next steve francis"........ unless you're steve francis.
            Haha, i hope Jerryd doesnt take this comparison to heart, he might refuse to play in Canada..

Comment

He played his game and we beat the Magic, and almost beat the bulls. What more do you want?
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Floor general PG's are few and far between. Let Bayless be Bayless.
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
                  It's frustrating to me that in a season that so clearly should have been devoted to development, Bayless has for some reason been overlooked. This one has to be on Triano (unless, as is possible, the mentality has been, "Play Jose. Let's see if he can continue to play well, and maybe well get some decent offers for him in the offseason." In which case, that's on BC, and may not be a bad strategy. And I'm a big Calderon fan, so don't accuse me of hating on him or treating him unfairly.)
                  I think it is on BC. I read somewhere in an article where BC said something to the effect of, "Jay has done everything we've asked of him this year." Calderon needed to raise his value. With only 2 years remaining on his contract and averaging nearly a double double as a starter, he might have as much value now as he will ever have. I think my stance on hm is pretty well known - trade him.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                    He played his game and we beat the Magic, and almost beat the bulls. What more do you want?
                    As a huge baseball guy I always have adhered to the 'don't trust anything you see in September' rule, so, I guess the question is whether we are seeing the real Bayless (he can play PG at a high level for 82 games) or is it just him playing on a bad team at the end of the year against teams playing out the string. Can we trust what we see or is it just a mirage?

It has come against good teams, which is very positive, but you always have to wonder about these kinds of developments and whether it is just a fluke.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                      As a huge baseball guy I always have adhered to the 'don't trust anything you see in September' rule, so, I guess the question is whether we are seeing the real Bayless (he can play PG at a high level for 82 games) or is it just him playing on a bad team at the end of the year against teams playing out the string. Can we trust what we see or is it just a mirage?

It has come against good teams, which is very positive, but you always have to wonder about these kinds of developments and whether it is just a fluke.
                      He had a couple of good starts earlier in the year when Jose was out as well.

Comment

He was a big reason we best the pistons in that massive comeback
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Basically, whenever he's started he looks great. Yet whenever he comes off the bench he's awful.

If anything, he could start while we bring along Burks.
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Then he becomes trade bait
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post

But that's exactly where the earlier arguments to play Bayless more contradict this, "only at the end of the season" argument. Bayless put up a number of 20+ppg/7+apg when he first came over. That is, when he got a lot of playing time and started when Calderon went down with injury. Bayless' numbers clearly show that when he's given the trust of the Raptors to lead them, he responds very well.

And to those who criticise his, "he plays like a SG" style, that may be true - in that he scores like one - but he's also dropping a good number of assists. In fact, 7.5 assists as a starter is good for 11th in the league. So I don't really know what the problem is with him scoring. Would you rather have a point guard who can't score or create his own shot?

This is particularly compounded when looked at amidst the trade/bench Bargnani calls. The argument against doing so is, "where are the points going to come from?" Well, Bayless can score 20ppg just as easily as Bargnani can.

Comment

Working...
                              X