The MMA Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slaw wrote: View Post
    The biggest loser here, potentially, is the UFC. McGregor's negotiating power with them has definitely improved dramatically, plus, this will now encourage other fights to try to find unique opportunities - they may not be $100M paydays but even if guys can make a few million for a fight of some sort it is way more than they will make for a comparable UFC fight. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out in the next couple years....
    Unless UFC agrees to allow them to do it, then I don't think it will be happening. All of these guys are under contract, and I think the UFC only got behind Conor on this one because they knew it'd do crazy money, no?

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
      That's not entirely true I don't think. With PPVs included with the initial purse (as is reflected by the $100M), I'm almost positive he's pulled about $10M per fight from UFC.

But regardless, ya the money is crazy.
      All accounts I've seen have $3 million as the maximum he's ever made from a UFC fight with most of his fights probably being much less. U have any source for that?

Comment

Unless UFC agrees to allow them to do it, then I don't think it will be happening. All of these guys are under contract, and I think the UFC only got behind Conor on this one because they knew it'd do crazy money, no?
        They didnt have a choice. As soon as he got his boxing licence he was able to do whatever he wants. He has all the leverage with the UFC. I think Dana is happy he sold when he did and if he could have stopped this fight from happening he would have. When they sold they had major stars and a bright future. They now have few stars and the maymac fight brought to light even more the ridiculous pay difference in the UFC and I expect people to start fighting back more. Fighters get such a miniscule percentage its crazy. Mcregor is already saying he's a free agent. The ufc contract is basically void now that he is protected under the Ali Act. Fighters in the UFC have to start pushing for the same protections and an increase in revenue percentage

Comment

• Machine wrote: View Post
          All accounts I've seen have $3 million as the maximum he's ever made from a UFC fight with most of his fights probably being much less. U have any source for that?
          He made over $3M for each of his last 2 fights, not including PPV cut.
          PPV is the real payer for UFC fighters; always has been.

For an idea of the PPV payouts, check out 205; Conor made nearly $15M+ with PPV included. I've seen he got $15M-ish total from UFC 202 as well. So my $10M appears to be conservative. Lol
          http://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/nate-...ively-ufc-202/
          Last edited by Joey; Mon Aug 28, 2017, 04:10 PM. Reason: Numbers

Comment

He made over $3M for each of his last 2 fights, not including PPV cut.
            PPV is the real payer for UFC fighters; always has been.

For an idea of the PPV payouts, check out 205. Conor made nearly $15M with PPV included. I've seen he got $12M+ total from UFC 202 as well. So my $10M appears to be conservative. Lol
            http://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/nate-...ively-ufc-202/
            Hmm interesting. Thanks, first time Ive seen that.

Comment

Hmm interesting. Thanks, first time Ive seen that.
              Ya man. UFC gives cuts (negotiated in Contracts) to all Headliners of PPVs and those Defending Titles. So it pays to be a Champion, especially if you're Conor, or headlining with Conor, then it really pays off GREAT; but if you're headlining with a guy like Tyron Woodley and no one pays to see your fights, then it sucks.
              Last edited by Joey; Mon Aug 28, 2017, 04:12 PM.

Comment

• Comment

They didnt have a choice. As soon as he got his boxing licence he was able to do whatever he wants. He has all the leverage with the UFC. I think Dana is happy he sold when he did and if he could have stopped this fight from happening he would have. When they sold they had major stars and a bright future. They now have few stars and the maymac fight brought to light even more the ridiculous pay difference in the UFC and I expect people to start fighting back more. Fighters get such a miniscule percentage its crazy. Mcregor is already saying he's a free agent. The ufc contract is basically void now that he is protected under the Ali Act. Fighters in the UFC have to start pushing for the same protections and an increase in revenue percentage
                  For boxing but the Ali Act doesn't apply to MMA, so, it's not entirely clear to me whether UFC may have some rights of action against McGregor under his MMA contract. Doesn't really matter because he's their only star and they aren't going to go to war with him.

I know there is (or was) a bill from a former MMA fighter in the House to expand the Ali Act to apply to MMA. It's not necessarily apples to apples, though. My big fear with the Ali Act would be independent fighter rankings and title matters. That could be a disaster. Some of the other stuff, particularly opening the books to fighters and the prohibition against long-term service contracts would be good changes.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                    For boxing but the Ali Act doesn't apply to MMA, so, it's not entirely clear to me whether UFC may have some rights of action against McGregor under his MMA contract. Doesn't really matter because he's their only star and they aren't going to go to war with him.

I know there is (or was) a bill from a former MMA fighter in the House to expand the Ali Act to apply to MMA. It's not necessarily apples to apples, though. My big fear with the Ali Act would be independent fighter rankings and title matters. That could be a disaster. Some of the other stuff, particularly opening the books to fighters and the prohibition against long-term service contracts would be good changes.
                    I saw an interview with Randy Coture who knows what he's talking about with this stuff and he said the Ali Act applies to any contract which includes UFC contracts. However, it is not expanded to MMA in the sense that MMA fighters who dont have a boxing license dont have those protections. Thats how it was explained. I havent read the act or anything tho.

Comment

• 4oz gloves this might do something, but not in 8oz gloves ... *Boop!* Haha

Comment

4oz gloves this might do something, but not in 8oz gloves ... *Boop!* Haha
                        hahaha Conor had many of those.

Comment

• Post from Conor on his IG:
                          Just coming back around after a whirlwind couple of days. Thank you to all the fans for the support of the fight and the event! Without your support we as fighters are nothing so I thank you all! Thank you to my team of coaches and training partners! I had an amazing team and It truly was an amazing and enjoyable camp, and honestly I feel with just a little change in certain areas of the prep, we could have built the engine for 12 full rounds under stress, and got the better result on the night. Getting to 12 rounds alone in practice was always the challenge in this camp. We started slowly getting to the 12 and decreasing the stress in the rounds the closer it got to 12. I think for the time we had, 10 weeks in camp, it had to be done this way. If I began with a loaded 12 rounds under much stress I would have only hit a brick wall and lost progress as a result and potentially not made the fight. A little more time and we could have made the 12 cleanly, while under more stress, and made it thru the later rounds in the actual fight. I feel every decision we made at each given time was the correct decision, and I am proud of everyone of my team for what we done in the short time that we done it. 30 minutes was the longest I have fought in a ring or cage or anywhere. Surpassing my previous time of 25 minutes. I am happy for the experience and happy to take all these great lessons with me and implement them into my camp going forward. Another day another lesson! Congrats to Floyd on a well fought match. Very experienced and methodical in his work. I wish him well in retirement. He is a heck of a boxer. His experience, his patience and his endurance won him this fight hands down. I always told him he was not a fighter but a boxer. But sharing the ring with him he is certainly a solid fighter. Strong in the clinch. Great understanding of frames and head position. He has some very strong tools he could bring into an MMA game for sure. Here is a toast of whiskey to everyone involved in this event and everyone who enjoyed it! Thank you to you all! Onto the next one!
                          I definitely much prefer a humbled and respectful Conor.

Comment

• Cormier vs Bisping at 205lbs? I'd watch that. Definitely.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/9/2...vyweight-fight

Comment

Cormier vs Bisping at 205lbs? I'd watch that. Definitely.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/9/2...vyweight-fight
                              i'd watch that too. cormier wins that easy though. he was throwing around heavyweights.

216 sucks. the only fight i am interested in is verdum vs lewis.

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                                i'd watch that too. cormier wins that easy though. he was throwing around heavyweights.

216 sucks. the only fight i am interested in is verdum vs lewis.
                                Probably, but Bisping went 15-0 as a Light Heavyweight, so he's no stranger to fighting bigger guys.
                                And as for 216, no interest in Ferguson vs Lee? I think that'll be a great fight. I think the whole interim thing is getting ridiculous, but I think it'll be a good fight.

But ya, Lewis is always a good watch.

Comment

Working...
                                X