No announcement yet.

The MMA Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ya, that and the brutal truth. As athletes continue to take up MMA, turning it into an actual sports, human blood lust is not getting satiated. Fights going the distance, a lack of hatred and violent aggression are actually killing the sports, which I think is great, because it shows exactly what a crock of shit the idea of making it a sport was. I like the sport, I watched a lot of it, but I never for a minute bought the idea that the UFC wanted it to be one. Its such a funny facade really.

they want blood, and hate, and violence. They frown at strategy, and technique, and sportsmanship.

Comment

• Just watched a replay of Cro Cop vs Gabriel Gonzaga ...

That head kick.... my god ....

Comment

• Have also been catching up on my Fedor fights ... I miss that guy.

That slam he takes from Randleman is INSANE.

Comment

• Oh... and why doesn't anybody talk about Sakuraba anymore?!

Dude was amazing!

And after brushing up a little, he is also the guy single-handedly responsible for Royce Gracie's "retirement". Lol Royce was so bent on beating the "Gracie Killer" he loaded up massively on steroids, and ended up winning. Only to be caught and banned.
          Last edited by Joey; Mon Jan 27, 2014, 09:58 PM.

Comment

• DonCorleone wrote:
            Ufc has been falling off for a while now. There cards have been lackluster with usually 1 marque fight, mid card fights and some filler. I remember a few years ago when the cards use to be stacked with 3 legitimate fights that could all headline the said card. Example I clicked on a random Ufc event from 2011 Ufc 129. Gsp vs shields, couture vs. Lyoto, Jose also vs homminik, Benson Henderson, nate Diaz on the card too in different fights. The quality of fighters was so much greater then what they have on the card today. The example I used isnt the best one because it was the first Ufc in ontario and it was so hyped but still the point is, interest is falling. They need to get back to stacking up the cards a bit to make for interesting events.
            I don't think there are fewer talented fighters. Three things are happening:

1. There are way more events. They went from 24 shows in 2010 to 33 last year. This year they are on pace for 36.

2. The big names don't want to to fight three times a year.

3. No marquee heavyweights. This is a big issue.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
              3. No marquee heavyweights. This is a big issue.
              This is THE big issue with UFC.
              Back in the day, pretty much all the greatest were Heavyweights.

Comment

• mcgregor_conor1280-640x360.jpg

McGregor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bringin' it home for the Mother Land!

Comment

• That Lawler vs MacDonald fight was insane ..

Rory only went down after his nose basically fell off.

Comment

• i really liked gunner. a really good card, felt bad for mendez, he just needed to not turtle for 7 seconds and he could have lost in the third round

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                      i really liked gunner. a really good card, felt bad for mendez, he just needed to not turtle for 7 seconds and he could have lost in the third round
                      Oh man, I was thinking the same thing. He was SOO damn close to getting Connor, but once McGregor got to his feet, you could see he wanted to finish it while Mendez was gassed. Great recognitionon his part.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                        Oh man, I was thinking the same thing. He was SOO damn close to getting Connor, but once McGregor got to his feet, you could see he wanted to finish it while Mendez was gassed. Great recognitionon his part.
                        i think he was done. he threw everything he had at connor. played his game perfectly, took him to the ground and pounded with nice elbows and body punches. connor got up and beat the shit out of him. no contest there. really want to see if aldo can chop down connor. i doubt there is a harder hitter than connor in the division, he knows how strong he hits. i was super impressed with his jaw too, he took a few really strong punches, smiled through and kept going.

i think he beats aldo unless it goes the distance, which it won't with how long connor is also. going to be pound for pound talk with connor soon. he is super tough.

i really want gunner to move up in the division, don't know what the other guys ground game skill level was but gunner had great jiujitsu. like an anaconda and deceptively fast lunging strikes that went from back foot to guys face, that one two on the jaw was sick

Comment

• Anyone watching tonights' fights?

Any good? I'm seeing a bunch of decisions on the update page.

Lets go rua and anyone think rousey goes into the 2nd?

Comment

• So knock out in 34 seconds. It isn't even fair in her division. No one for her to even fight.

Comment

• I don't like that woman at all, she's a jerk.

that said, HAHAHA. I guess she knows how to punch now. To echo what you just said, its not really even fair.

Comment

• card was meh

the fight i was most looking forward too got cancelled. thought bader played smart and evans should have taken a warm up fight before fighting a real top contender. thought cormier fought down to guftasson and could have handled that fight much better by just wrestling more and beating him on the ground. it was a good fight but i think cormier almost lost his belt for nothing.

Comment

Working...
                                X