Next Move: Jetison Maurizio Gherardini

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RaptorFan (proud?..) wrote: View Post
    I'm so disappointed that the first time I see Garbo brought up in this forum someone's ragging on him. What a catch that guy was.. I still remember how much it sucked watching him ride the bench after he came back from his injury because he just couldn't do it anymore..
    garbs is brought up all the time. i've personally stated things like he's the best player we've seen since VC, and that the decline of the team since the division title year can directly linked to his injuries and departure.

Comment

As others have noted, the slagging of Garbajosa was uncalled for. I give BC credit for signing him, and criticize him for not replacing him.

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
        garbs is brought up all the time. i've personally stated things like he's the best player we've seen since VC, and that the decline of the team since the division title year can directly linked to his injuries and departure.
        was a fine player but was more loyal to national program than to the Raps who payed him and needed him for 10 months not 2. That is why I am disappointing in him.
        "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
          @ Charlz

Re: the Jack for Bayless trade....I am to believe you have inside knowledge that MG had nothing to do with any advice/opinion on that transaction?

Re: Dirk and Manu and one cannot build around anyone not named so yada yada..... before those 2 showed up I am sure you may have used Sabonis and Divacs etc. The point being how is one to find the gems if you dont draft/sign a player....I suppose you are absolutely sure that a Kanter isnt going to cut it?

I couldnt care less if MG were fired or not. Its just that your basis for evaluation is very flawed.
          First of all I clearly said I think MG did his job. His mandate was to find the best available foreign talent - he did.
          The problem is these players are almost always defensively deficient or lacking in some way. NBA scouts GM's have caught on and last year the hight drafted player that did not attend NCAA school was - here is a review of the past drafts top NON-NCAA proven players

2010 Draft:
          17th Washington Kevin Seraphin 6-9 263 PF/C France Intl.

2009 Draft:
          5th Minnesota Ricky Rubio 6-4 180 PG Spain Intl.
          22 Portland Victor Claver 6-9 236 SF Spain Intl.
          23 Sacramento Omri Casspi 6-9 211 SF Israel Intl.

2008 Draft:
          6. New York Danilo Gallinari 6-9 220 SF Italy 1988
          20. Charlotte Alexis Ajinca 7-0 216 PF/C France 1988

2007 Draft:
          6. Milwaukee Yi Jianlian 7-0 242 PF China 1984
          18. Golden St. Marco Belinelli 6-6 200 SG Italy 1986

2006 Draft:
          1. Toronto Andrea Bargnani 6-11 240 PF Italy 1985
          13. *Chicago Thabo Sefolosha 6-6 213 SG Switz. 1984

2005 Draft
          11. Orlando Fran Vazquez 6-10 230 PF Spain 1983

2004 draft:
          21. Dallas Pavel Podkolzine 7-5 303 C (Russia) 1985
          22. Portland Viktor Khryapa 6-9 205 SF (Russia) 1982
          23. *Portland Sergei Monia 6-7 220 SG (Russia) 1983

2003 draft:
          2. Detroit Darko Milicic 7-1 253 PF (Serbia-Montenegro) 1985
          11. Golden State Mickaël Pietrus 6-6 200 SG/SF (France) 1982
          9. Utah Aleksandar Pavlovic 6-7 207 SG/SF (Serbia-Montenegro) 1983

Who of these players has lead their team to anything of significance? Which GM if they could do it over again would draft the same guy. Going Euro seemed a good idea at the time. Now not so much. So bye bye MG thanks but its not working out.

This team has had a terrible run people need to be fired. changes need to be made.

Comment

charlz wrote: View Post
            First of all I clearly said I think MG did his job. His mandate was to find the best available foreign talent - he did.
            The problem is these players are almost always defensively deficient or lacking in some way. NBA scouts GM's have caught on and last year the hight drafted player that did not attend NCAA school was - here is a review of the past drafts top NON-NCAA proven players

2010 Draft:
            17th Washington Kevin Seraphin 6-9 263 PF/C France Intl.

2009 Draft:
            5th Minnesota Ricky Rubio 6-4 180 PG Spain Intl.
            22 Portland Victor Claver 6-9 236 SF Spain Intl.
            23 Sacramento Omri Casspi 6-9 211 SF Israel Intl.

2008 Draft:
            6. New York Danilo Gallinari 6-9 220 SF Italy 1988
            20. Charlotte Alexis Ajinca 7-0 216 PF/C France 1988

2007 Draft:
            6. Milwaukee Yi Jianlian 7-0 242 PF China 1984
            18. Golden St. Marco Belinelli 6-6 200 SG Italy 1986

2006 Draft:
            1. Toronto Andrea Bargnani 6-11 240 PF Italy 1985
            13. *Chicago Thabo Sefolosha 6-6 213 SG Switz. 1984

2005 Draft
            11. Orlando Fran Vazquez 6-10 230 PF Spain 1983

2004 draft:
            21. Dallas Pavel Podkolzine 7-5 303 C (Russia) 1985
            22. Portland Viktor Khryapa 6-9 205 SF (Russia) 1982
            23. *Portland Sergei Monia 6-7 220 SG (Russia) 1983

2003 draft:
            2. Detroit Darko Milicic 7-1 253 PF (Serbia-Montenegro) 1985
            11. Golden State Mickaël Pietrus 6-6 200 SG/SF (France) 1982
            9. Utah Aleksandar Pavlovic 6-7 207 SG/SF (Serbia-Montenegro) 1983

Who of these players has lead their team to anything of significance? Which GM if they could do it over again would draft the same guy. Going Euro seemed a good idea at the time. Now not so much. So bye bye MG thanks but its not working out.

This team has had a terrible run people need to be fired. changes need to be made.
            I am afraid you are confusing me. Where is it did you say MG "did his job"? Your opening post mentioned players who had played in the NBA (other than Garbo and he was good) before coming to the Raps. Why would MG have any particular insight on their capability that any of the north American scouts on the Raps or BC not be aware of? ...meaning just because they were European this means MG was solely responsible for their acquisition? There is probably no question that he had an influence re AB's selection but I am sure that BC was alr,eady sold on him and MG just put him over.

Like I wrote earlier, I am ambivalent re MG the exec or talent evaluator or diamond-in-the-rough finder. What I objected to is the sentiment that there is no need to look to Europe for the possibility of discovering talent or that because MG is a Euro he is incapable of evaluating north American (or anywhere else) basket ball talent. Does anyone really know if he had any input into the DD or ED selections or other failures/oh hum ones for that matter? I believe we do not.

Regarding the list of draftees you included, for every Euro player shown many multiples of NCAA draftees didnt make it either. If you had presented your argument that todate the likelihood, based on sheer volume of talent and coaching venues, that a franchise type player would be discovered/produced in Europe is unlikely...most including I would agree.

Again, regarding MG, only BC really knows about the value he brings to the organization. His job is a behind the scenes one that is not clearly evident. I suspect he is a lightening rod because of his AB connection.
            Last edited by Bendit; Sun Apr 10, 2011, 03:14 PM.

Comment

I met Maurizio one time. He was really nice, showed me around the ACC practice court. Very soft spoken, good guy. We are lucky to have someone of his calibre with our organization.

Comment

Really though. There have been rumors in the past that certain teams might be interested in him running their club in the future. I think the Nets were the most recent last summer. I think if he leaves it's either because Colangelo was cut loose or he get's an offer to run a team.

Comment

Multipaul wrote: View Post
                  I met Maurizio one time. He was really nice, showed me around the ACC practice court. Very soft spoken, good guy. We are lucky to have someone of his calibre with our organization.
                  Sure he is a fantastic guy I agree - so is the guy who serves me coffee every morning @ starbucks. My point is:
                  (a) quit the Euro movement
                  (b) get and Assistant GM who's expertise resides on NCAA north American athletic defensive minded guys

Comment

my starbucks barista is a c-nt.

when i say i want a bloody medium coffee, i want the middle size of whatever bile you're serving that will wake me the f--k up. i dont care what ridiculous names you give cup sizes or what kind of roasts you have. stop trying to correct me, just give me god damn wake up elixir.

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
                      my starbucks barista is a c-nt.

when i say i want a bloody medium coffee, i want the middle size of whatever bile you're serving that will wake me the f--k up. i dont care what ridiculous names you give cup sizes or what kind of roasts you have. stop trying to correct me, just give me god damn wake up elixir.
                      LMAO hahah - sure but you get my point. Rob Babcock was a sweet heart too but a Vince and Hoffa deal later had the angry mob calling for his ouster.
                      Last edited by charlz; Wed Apr 13, 2011, 09:06 AM.

Comment

charlz wrote: View Post
                        Sure he is a fantastic guy I agree - so is the guy who serves me coffee every morning @ starbucks. My point is:
                        (a) quit the Euro movement
                        (b) get and Assistant GM who's expertise resides on NCAA north American athletic defensive minded guys
                        This is the first time reading this thread and found your whole argument pretty flawed, as well as a little distasteful. Gherardini is renowned for his basketball expertise and well respected in the basketball world. First of all, assuming that ANY European player moving to the Raptors, whether or not they had coming from Europe or not, was his responsibility is absolutely ludicrous. What the hell did Gherardini have to do with trading for Nesterovic or signing Turkoglu? And why on earth was Garbajosa a fail? He was injured? That's somehow Gherardini's fault?

And I'm not even going to get into the whole anti-European thing.

The problem is when you make ridiculous claims, it pretty much kills your entire argument, whether or not there was any validity to it or not.

Personally, I have no idea whether Gherardini has done a good job or not because I am not privy to the inner workings of Raptor management, and I'm guessing you aren't, either.
                        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

The thing I find hilarious is that Charlz seems to think Gherardini is only able to evaluate Europeans. Are there some sort of magic glasses required to scout NCAA games and it's just that Gherardini has failed to find so far in the boxes of Crackerjacks he has opened?

Last time I checked, the last two first rounders selected by the Raptors were DeMar DeRozan and Ed Davis. How are they working out? I guess Charlz will counter by saying Gherardini must have been off ordering a caramel macchiato at Starbucks when those two selections went down....

Comment

Word of the wise to Charlz, don't mess with mafiosos like Gheradini, unless you like waking up next to equine body parts. La Cosa Nostra.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                              I guess Charlz will counter by saying Gherardini must have been off ordering a caramel macchiato at Starbucks when those two selections went down....
                              i wouldnt blame gheradini if that was the case... that shit is delicious

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                                The thing I find hilarious is that Charlz seems to think Gherardini is only able to evaluate Europeans. Are there some sort of magic glasses required to scout NCAA games and it's just that Gherardini has failed to find so far in the boxes of Crackerjacks he has opened?

Last time I checked, the last two first rounders selected by the Raptors were DeMar DeRozan and Ed Davis. How are they working out? I guess Charlz will counter by saying Gherardini must have been off ordering a caramel macchiato at Starbucks when those two selections went down....
                                are you forgetting?

When MG was brought in he was touted as and known widely as "the guy" when it comes to Euro players. When Ed davis and derozen came to town for tryouts I saw alvin williams and BC and Triano English and several others who I do not know but I did not see MG - he was likely back in Europe scouting something over there.

This guy is not lazy or stupid. He is also not a jack of all trades. His focus has always been in Europe - you dont bring in a defensive stopper to stretch a zone with 3 point shooting.... think about it.

Comment

Working...
                                X