Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Lockout & the Raptors: Players approve CBA, Owners too! (1944)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really dont know the ins and outs of the whole CBA discussion is between the NBA and the players, but what ive heard is that the NBA is demanding players to shed salary, which im very much in favor with. And yes to the hard cap as well.

I really dont know what the players are complaining about, i mean isnt 1 million enough? 2 million? i love the NBA, dont get me wrong, but i think its just utterly ridiculous that this people are getting paid millions and millions of dollars for putting a bouncing thing inside an iron thing. id rather have the money go to the owners and the NBA org itself, as they are the ones who employ people who make games, road trips run smoothly. and im pretty sure both owners and the NBA are far greater contributors to charity than individual players.

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
      I really dont know what the players are complaining about, i mean isnt 1 million enough? 2 million? i love the NBA, dont get me wrong, but i think its just utterly ridiculous that this people are getting paid millions and millions of dollars for putting a bouncing thing inside an iron thing. id rather have the money go to the owners and the NBA org itself, as they are the ones who employ people who make games, road trips run smoothly. and im pretty sure both owners and the NBA are far greater contributors to charity than individual players.
      You need to consider it from the Point of view of the Players though.
      Without them, the owners aren't making ANY money.
      With them the Owners are making MILLIONS. Hundred of Millions in some cases.
      Right now, I believe, the Players get 57% (could be wrong) of the ALL revenues the League makes. That is how the Salary Cap is set each year.

To say to the guys that are risking their Bodies, and their Livelyhood to entertain the fans, that they should be given less money, so that the guys who sit around in Chairs all day, can make MORE money? That doesn't sound all that fair either.

And the amount of Time and Money given to Charity from Local Players is HUGE. NBA players do far more for the Community than any other Professional Sports League.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
        You need to consider it from the Point of view of the Players though.
        Without them, the owners aren't making ANY money.
        With them the Owners are making MILLIONS. Hundred of Millions in some cases.
        Right now, I believe, the Players get 57% (could be wrong) of the ALL revenues the League makes. That is how the Salary Cap is set each year.

To say to the guys that are risking their Bodies, and their Livelyhood to entertain the fans, that they should be given less money, so that the guys who sit around in Chairs all day, can make MORE money? That doesn't sound all that fair either.

And the amount of Time and Money given to Charity from Local Players is HUGE. NBA players do far more for the Community than any other Professional Sports League.
        Yes, that is an undeniable fact. Of course, players make the money for owners, but i dont think theyre worth millions and millions of dollars. owners are subjected to operating costs, marketing, maintenance expenses, etc etc. players take their paychecks and spend it. sure they are risking their bodies, but how many players in the past decade have ever gotten career threatening injuries? and who pays for all the medical care that they receive when they do get injured, on top of the millions and millions of money they receive while getting treatment? yes, these owners sit on chairs all day, but theyre the ones who pay the 200+ workers who makes sure that these players are in condition, eat right, sleep in a good hotel, get to games on time. im not saying dont pay the players, pay them what is enough and considerable.

i guess if you really think about it though, its also the owners faults anyways, everytime they start a bidding war on these players, they run themselves out of business.

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
          My question for you is this, IF there is a way that allows 30 properly managed teams to compete why wouldn't you want that scenario?
          But we know there isn't. Look at the Holy Grail of pro sports leagues: the NFL. The only way a lot of markets stay afloat is with massive government subsidies for stadiums, along with coerced revenue sharing and a massive national tv deal. Even then, how many NFL teams are in trouble? There is a reason the NFL owners are engaged in a lockout.

Want a hard cap? Well, it sure has worked wonders for the NHL. Look at how successful Nashville, Atlanta, Phoenix, Florida, Tampa, Dallas, have been.

The reality is taht there are always going to be bad teams in bad markets. Bringing everyone down so that the lowest common denominators can survive won't work.

Comment

i love the NBA, dont get me wrong, but i think its just utterly ridiculous that this people are getting paid millions and millions of dollars for putting a bouncing thing inside an iron thing.
            Think about this for a second: why aren't WNBA players paid millions of dollars? After all, they put a bouncy thing inside an iron thing, too. Why are supermodels paid millions to stand around and smile? My 200 pound assistant can stand around and smile, too. Why is Will Smith paid $20mm for playing dress up? My twins play dress up at home and no one pays them $20mm.

Comment

Yes, that is an undeniable fact. Of course, players make the money for owners, but i dont think theyre worth millions and millions of dollars. owners are subjected to operating costs, marketing, maintenance expenses, etc etc. players take their paychecks and spend it. sure they are risking their bodies, but how many players in the past decade have ever gotten career threatening injuries? and who pays for all the medical care that they receive when they do get injured, on top of the millions and millions of money they receive while getting treatment? yes, these owners sit on chairs all day, but theyre the ones who pay the 200+ workers who makes sure that these players are in condition, eat right, sleep in a good hotel, get to games on time. im not saying dont pay the players, pay them what is enough and considerable.

i guess if you really think about it though, its also the owners faults anyways, everytime they start a bidding war on these players, they run themselves out of business.
              All good points. I suppose this is why it's so hard to come to an agreement, eh? haha These are the conversations the Players and Owners must be having as well. haha

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                Think about this for a second: why aren't WNBA players paid millions of dollars? After all, they put a bouncy thing inside an iron thing, too. Why are supermodels paid millions to stand around and smile? My 200 pound assistant can stand around and smile, too. Why is Will Smith paid $20mm for playing dress up? My twins play dress up at home and no one pays them $20mm.
                coz this what society dictates, and it sucks.

Comment

All good points. I suppose this is why it's so hard to come to an agreement, eh? haha These are the conversations the Players and Owners must be having as well. haha
                  not sure if that was a sarcastic remark, but ill take it in stride.

Comment

not sure if that was a sarcastic remark, but ill take it in stride.
                    Not sarcastic at all. I completely agree with the points you are making.

I'm sure the players are using the Points I made, and I'm sure the Owners are using your argument. They're all valid.

Comment

Will Smith makes $20M a movie, because he makes the Producers of that movie $500M.

Supermodels get paid, because they make Millions of Dollars for Designers.

It is fair that they get paid so much money, because we are the ones that are paying them basically.
                      We chose who is popular, who is in demand, who is .. everything.

If Millions of Fans didn't pay money to go see Will Smith, then Will Smith doesn't make any more movies. Period.

Just like if the Fans didn't pay Millions of Dollars to go Watch Basketball, then the players don't have a case, in which to ask for that much money.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                        But we know there isn't. Look at the Holy Grail of pro sports leagues: the NFL. The only way a lot of markets stay afloat is with massive government subsidies for stadiums, along with coerced revenue sharing and a massive national tv deal. Even then, how many NFL teams are in trouble? There is a reason the NFL owners are engaged in a lockout.

Want a hard cap? Well, it sure has worked wonders for the NHL. Look at how successful Nashville, Atlanta, Phoenix, Florida, Tampa, Dallas, have been.

The reality is taht there are always going to be bad teams in bad markets. Bringing everyone down so that the lowest common denominators can survive won't work.
                        So you you think it's great that some big market teams can spend all they want and make all the mistakes they want because they have money to burn? The knicks were one of the top spending teams for years and were awful and now they're relevant again, not because they were stockpiling picks but they bought players.

Would Amare consider signing with Sacramento? Of course not. Who would?

Of course there's always gonna be badly run teams. But when one team can spend $90 mil and another can spend $50...I mean that ain't even fair. All that is is a competition of whose owner is richer.
                        Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Not sarcastic at all. I completely agree with the points you are making.

I'm sure the players are using the Points I made, and I'm sure the Owners are using your argument. They're all valid.
                          oh ok, sorry to be a bit sensitive, hehe.

Comment

Will Smith makes $20M a movie, because he makes the Producers of that movie $500M.

It is fair that they get paid so much money, because we are the ones that are paying them basically.

If Millions of Fans didn't pay money to go see Will Smith, then Will Smith doesn't make any more movies. Period.

Just like if the Fans didn't pay Millions of Dollars to go Watch Basketball, then the players don't have a case, in which to ask for that much money.
                            Like i said, this is what society dictates, and it sucks. I think its just ludicrous that somebody who spends 9-10months moving around pretending he's something that he's not and getting paid $20 mil for it. i mean movies dont even contribute anything to society.

i think the difference is, with movies, actors demand. in the NBA, players are given offers, and its up to them to accept or not. so if they make the ceiling of what can be offered lower but adequate and considerable, then id be happy.

i guess what im trying to say is lower the max salary allowed, and enforce a hard cap so that players wont go to teams who have lots of money to spend to demand more money. every team should only be allowed a certain number to spend, period.
                            Last edited by TheGloveinRapsUniform; Wed May 11, 2011, 04:24 PM.

Comment

If Will Smith is asking $20M/movie but the market no longer can support huge blockbusters which can allow the Producers to still turn profits while paying their actors that kind of coin then suddenly Will Smith is either making less than $20M/movie or Will Smith isn't making movies.

We are going to still watch the games no matter if LeBron James or Kobe Bryant exists or not. LeBron James and Kobe Bryant are given the privilege to be able to make hundreds of millions on the owner's platform. Without that platform they're playing in Europe for a fraction of their current salaries, selling cars or something else that's not going to allow them live their lavish lives.

Comment

I've had enough of the Lakers and Celtics and other teams who don't care if they go over salary cap and pay a huge luxury tax every year, just so they can have a stacked team and buy their way into the playoffs. I want to see a more competitive league. I don't want the same teams in the playoffs ever year or only a handful of teams able to win the championship.

So if this means a hard cap or non-guaranteed contracts or whatever, I'm more than happy to go without the NBA for a while for needed changes to happen. There is always the NFL and college basketball/football for my sports fix. I just hope they do it right this time and make the NBA the envy of the sports world.
                                Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

Working...
                                X