X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should they stay or should they go?

Jose Calderon

Status: Two years left on contract; $9.78 million 2011-12 salary

Stuff: Defensive liabilities would be less glaring with bigger, more capable defenders to help out at the rim and he’s still the best they’ve got at getting everyone involved in the offence. Needs to look for his own shot more often, too.

Stay or go: Stay; in tandem with a dynamic young point guard, he’d be a valuable teacher.

DeMar DeRozan

Status: Raptors control rights at least through 2013-14; $2.625 million 2001-12 salary.

Stuff: Emerging offensive talent with excellent mid-range game, needs to expand repertoire of moves, add some range to his shooting and work more diligently on his defensive assignments. But, as a second-year player here at least three more years, the future is bright

Stay or go: He’s going to become the focal point of the Raptors as time goes on.

James Johnson

Status: Raptors control rights through 2013-14 season; $1.833 million 2011-12 salary.

Stuff: Solid mid-season pickup who’s starting to show a versatile, well-rounded game. Still doesn’t shoot the ball well enough and can get a bit nonchalant with his ball-handling, but he’s the best perimeter defender and rebounding small forward they’ve got.

Stay or go: Definitely a keeper at a bargain price and short contract, may eventually be suited as a guy coming off the bench.

Amir Johnson

Status: Guaranteed contract through 2013-14 season; $5.5 million 2001-12 salary.

Stuff: Arguably the most pleasant surprise of the season, having added a mid-range jumper to his game and elevating his free throw shooting enough that he can be on the court down the stretch of close games. Still has a penchant to foul too often but for giving consistent effort, he might be the best on the team.

Stay or go: A keeper for sure, but if they can add a big, tough centre, he might be best in a backup role.

Andrea Bargnani

Status: Signed through 2014-15 season, $9.25 million 2011-12 salary.

Stuff: Yes, he scores in a lot of different ways now and he’s a huge match-up problem for other teams; not many guys in the league can get a team 20 a night consistently. But he’s got to start to care even a little bit about defence and if this was the year for him to impose himself on the franchise, he failed.

Stay or go: What he brings them on offence can’t be discounted, but he has to try to defend.

Jerryd Bayless

Status: Signed through 2011-12 season; $3.042 million 2011-12 salary.

Stuff: Pleasant surprise after being picked up early in the season from New Orleans. Has shown potential as a point guard, although running a team smoothly is still something he needs to work on. If his shooting stays solid, he could morph into a combo guard to make himself more versatile.

Stay or go: Should stay, but if there’s a PG to be drafted and a good deal to be had, Raps may look to make a move.

Leandro Barbosa

Status: Player option this summer; $7.6 million 2011-12 salary.

Stuff: After eight years in the league, you know what you’re going to get from the speedy guard: Instant offence off the bench and a streaky three-point shot that can extend defences. No letdown in his quickness yet, which would limit his effectiveness.

Stay or go: He said he wants to be back but opting out is still a consideration. The decision is his, not the team’s.

Ed Davis

Status: Raptors control rights through 2014-15 season; $2.063 million 2011-12 salary.

Stuff: Very promising start from the young big man who has shown excellent basketball instincts for a rookie. Needs to expand his offensive game all around — he’s get so much of his stuff simply off the glass — but he’s solid defensively and should get better as he grows into his body.

Stay or go: He’s going to be a centrepiece of the team for years.

Reggie Evans

Stuff: He gobbles up rebounds as few Raptors ever have, tireless on both ends of the floor with quick hands that make up for his relative small size. Offensively, he’s a liability but being able to make his free throws enhanced his contribution late in games. Fan favourite who is a bit of a leader in the locker room.

Stay or go: At the right price — and no one knows what that is with labour strife looming — he’d be a good fourth or fifth big man.

Sonny Weems

Stuff: It’s not so much that he regressed in his second full season as a regular; it’s that his game never did expand. Still shoots a bit too much and not all from long range, doesn’t rebound too effectively and when challenged by the arrival of James Johnson, didn’t really fight too hard.

Stay or go: I can’t see a scenario in which he comes back.

Joey Dorsey

Stuff: Seldom used big man doesn’t have enough all-round game consistently enough to find a place in the rotation. His 20-rebound game in Milwaukee was a nice surprise but not something to pin a future on. He was caught in the numbers game in Toronto and can’t see that changing.

Stay or go: Not sure how he comes back to team that isn’t going to lose many bigs and wants to add one.

Julian Wright

Stuff: Yes, he’s a good defender with good passing skills when he’s got the ball and he’s a tireless worker, probably the hardest worker on the team. But, he has such limited offensive skills that it’s hard to imagine him cracking a rotation anytime soon in his career.

Stay or go: Another guy who’s all but assuredly gone, he’s not good enough at any one skill to keep on a team that’s rebuilding.

Alexis Ajinca

Stuff: A 7-foot jump shooter who has an aversion to tough defending near the rim? Got one already, there’s no need for another. Was a mid-season gamble at no cost — Dallas gave the money to pay his salary and threw in a second-round pick to boot — who’ll likely be in Europe next season.

Stay or go: Thanks for stopping by for a few months.

Solomon Alabi

Status: Signed through 2011-12 season; $830,000 2011-12 salary.

Stuff: The fact he’s got a guaranteed deal for next season means they must think he’s got some kind of promise, but it’s impossible to know for sure. The word from coaches is that he’s so raw they worried about him hurting teammates in practice.

Stay or go: He’ll stay by virtue of his contract but if they need him for cap ballast in a trade, he could be gone.
    Source: Doug Smith's Blog

Guarantee you Doug has some Clash on his playlist.

Some very good descriptions. Almost full agreement here.
    "The word from coaches is that he’s so raw they worried about him hurting teammates in practice."

Haha. lol
    “I have no idea who Chukwudiebere Maduabum is, but on his Draft Express profile, he’s listed as Chu Chu. I think he’s worthy of picking just for that. He immediately is in the running for best All-Time NBA name.” -Tim W.

Comment

bloodyhandedgod wrote: View Post
      Some very good descriptions. Almost full agreement here.
      "The word from coaches is that he’s so raw they worried about him hurting teammates in practice."

Haha. lol
      I thought that was interesting too.

Comment

I love how Doug doesn't even want to go near the "Trade Bargs or Don't".

Stay or go: What he brings them on offence can’t be discounted, but he has to try to defend.
        Thats not an answer at all! What a cop-out Doug.

Comment

Pretty much all in agreement here. I'm not so big on Wright as a lot peeps on this forum.

Although I would say that I wouldn't mind Weems as a 3rd string 2 guard for the right price.
          Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post

I think he doesn't want to create any uncomfortable situations for himself next year should Bargnani still be here.

Comment

Alabi isn't that raw like he used to be, D-League has helped a bit, maybe he should be there for half the next season and by then he will be ready to come off the bench.
              NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

i don't get why weems can't comeback or why the writer can't think of a scenario that he would be back, unless another team offers more why can't he be resigned for a couple mil ? he'd still be a good backup. nothing to lose

Comment

raptorsking wrote: View Post
                  i don't get why weems can't comeback or why the writer can't think of a scenario that he would be back, unless another team offers more why can't he be resigned for a couple mil ? he'd still be a good backup. nothing to lose
                  Weems chucks bricks, he needs to be a construction worker, not an NBA player.
                  NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

Man, Jose makes a lot of cash. I like him and yes he would be a good mentor but the cap space taken up is way too much at this point of the rebuild especially if we draft a pg. You can get a grizzled guard (Miller comes to mind) for half the price and use the other half towards another good veteran.

Comment

e2thed wrote: View Post
                      Weems chucks bricks, he needs to be a construction worker, not an NBA player.
                      seriously if no nba team wants him you don't see us giving him the minimum ? it's not like he's a guy who is detrimental to the team he's a decent player beofre the back injury he was very good . i rather give him minutes than give some to Mr.turnover linas

Comment

I don't see why Dorsey is constantly written off as being a guy who can't come back, when really he's a younger, cheaper, more athletic and healthier version of Reggie. Obviously he brings less leadership than Reggie, but his attitude has been great. I don't think he could hold a starting spot the way Reggie did earlier in the season, but that's something that neither of them should be asked to do next season. Of all of our UFAs, Dorsey is the one I could most see having a long term role (even if it is a fifth big, depth role) with this team.
                        Anyway, I'd offer him something similar to what he got last year, and see if he jumps on the opportunity to get a bit of continuity in his career.

I agree with the rest of the evaluations, although if someone comes knocking with an interesting offer for Calderon, I'd expect BC to at least listen.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post

For a guy who lets Feschuk carry the knife (...or howitzer) could anyone be damned by more faint praise. Along with Smith's "No one is safe on a team with this record..." I think you really don't need to read that far between the lines to see that there is only be a question of what the offers are...
                          Last edited by meductic; Fri Apr 15, 2011, 02:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X