Amir Johnson wants to be the team leader, says team needs a "legit center"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e2thed wrote: View Post
    Damn right, you know they think Bargs is a liability. He needs to pay MLSE some money back because him and BC robbed them.
    lmfao...i don't understand how anyone can still this tool...andrea blows harder than jenna jamieson
    "the raptors were my fav team growing up"-kevin durant

Comment

He may not play centre now but in the western conference final serious 2000/2001 against the lakers guess who was guarding Shaq.

Comment

thomas1 wrote: View Post
        He may not play centre now but in the western conference final serious 2000/2001 against the lakers guess who was guarding Shaq.
        Well, in 2000 it was Arvydas Sabonis. That was an awesome series. Imagine if he had joined the league when he was in his prime...we'd be talking about him right up there with Shaq and Kareem and Russell as the greatest centers of all time.

In 2001 it was David Robinson and Tim Duncan, most of the time. Another classic series I remember well. In fact, the t-wolves got knocked out in the first round every year from 2000-2003.

Perhaps you meant the 2004 western conference finals, where the Lakers played the T-wolves? Because if so, the answer is it was a platoon of Michael Oliwakandi, Earvin Johnson and Mark Madsen, mostly using Haq-a-Shaq. They even used noted Raptor porker Oliver Miller when the other guys ran out of fouls. Garnett had his hands full dealing with Karl Malone, and couldn't afford the foul trouble. I can only recall a very few possessions where he was stuck on Shaq, and he sure as hell didn't play anything resembling defense. Had some real conflicted emotions about that series/season, as a life-long Jazz fan and Lakers-hater, seeing the mailman in forum blue and gold.

(deleted) - Matt52
        Last edited by mcHAPPY; Fri Apr 15, 2011, 05:17 AM. Reason: Inappropriate comment to another member

Comment

I think Sabonis deserves to be in conversations no matter how many years he played in the league. He dominated overseas for years and that should be worth something too.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
            I think Sabonis deserves to be in conversations no matter how many years he played in the league. He dominated overseas for years and that should be worth something too.
            agreed. truly revolutionary player right there. i could care less if he played 2 games in the league.

every big man who can bang down low, rebound, pass like a PG, and shoot a jumper from more than 10 ft from the basket owes him a debt of gratitude for breaking the mold

Comment

I love Amir. I really do. But I'm not sure what measure he is using when he says that the team "definitely got better than last year". Maybe he is referring to the team's draft position.

I also find it slightly amusing that he claims the Raptors "pretty much don't need any pieces" and then 90 seconds later he is throwing Bargnani under the bus by saying that the team needs a legit center.

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
                What the hell, KG a legit center, does Amir even know the game?
                I think a little better then you..

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
                  I love Amir. I really do. But I'm not sure what measure he is using when he says that the team "definitely got better than last year". Maybe he is referring to the team's draft position.

I also find it slightly amusing that he claims the Raptors "pretty much don't need any pieces" and then 90 seconds later he is throwing Bargnani under the bus by saying that the team needs a legit center.

Amen. That's what stood out to me as I read it too. That last game against Miami made it pretty clear to me that the pieces we have aren't anywhere near enough

Comment

"We could use a center, like a Dwight or KG, I think we could use a legit center. It would work well with all the 4s on the floor."

I think as a fan it's easily for us to assume he's making a back-handed comment about Bargs, as if he really means to say:
                    "Currently our center is Andrea Bargnani and he's no good. We need to replace him with a legit center, like Dwight or KG."

In my early years I was in a band, where I played rhythm guitar and sang lead vocals. One day we decided as a group that we should consider bringing in a singer who could do lead vocals, so that I could concentrate more on my guitar skills. I never took this as them meaning they wanted to replace me because I can't sing that well (I still ended up doing backup/harmony). It just allowed me to concentrate on things I was better at.

I'm not saying Bargs is the answer, but let's not misconstrue what Amir Johnson is saying and turn this into a story about players turning on eachother. Bargs himself said he'd prefer to play PF, which is also a roundabout way of saying this team still needs a legit C, which we do.
                    your pal,
                    ebrian

Comment

This is an excellent point ebrian. There are multiple ways to take what he said. This is one scenario that could be right.

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                        In my early years I was in a band, where I played rhythm guitar and sang lead vocals. One day we decided as a group that we should consider bringing in a singer who could do lead vocals, so that I could concentrate more on my guitar skills. I never took this as them meaning they wanted to replace me because I can't sing that well (I still ended up doing backup/harmony). It just allowed me to concentrate on things I was better at.

I'm not saying Bargs is the answer, but let's not misconstrue what Amir Johnson is saying and turn this into a story about players turning on eachother. Bargs himself said he'd prefer to play PF, which is also a roundabout way of saying this team still needs a legit C, which we do.
                        Nice way to put things.

Problem with Bargnani at the PF is then we'd have a log jam of Davis, Amir, and Bargnani. I do not think ED at the 5 is the answer because then we end up in a situation like Atlanta. Amir is not the answer. Bargnani is obviously not the answer. Of those three, who goes? If you keep Bargnani, I don't know if he would have much more success guarding PF's of the league either and switching from C to PF still doesn't solve the rebounding, focus, and effort issues.

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                          "We could use a center, like a Dwight or KG, I think we could use a legit center. It would work well with all the 4s on the floor."

I think as a fan it's easily for us to assume he's making a back-handed comment about Bargs, as if he really means to say:
                          "Currently our center is Andrea Bargnani and he's no good. We need to replace him with a legit center, like Dwight or KG."

Well, considering that Amir and Davis are already at the PF spot, it's hard to take it as anything but what we have. They obviously don't want him to move to PF. It's not as if you can just add an extra position like you can in a band.
                          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

If a legit center can be brought in, I think that giving bargnani a chance to prove himself at the PF might be an option, either that or a 6th man, their is no question he is a great offensive talent we just need someone to lock it down defensively down low. He will be an allstar their is no question about that, but he needs to be used for what he is, a gifted offensive player. A rotation of 4 bigs including one legit defensive center of bargnani, davis, and amir, sounds pretty deep to me ... Im not a bargnani lover by any means but he has improved offensively every year he has been here and causes huge match up problems, opposing teams must hate to guard him, he could be an asset in the years to come ...
                            "Defense wins championships."

Comment

Thinking out of the box, not saying the 2 players have the same skill level but is it a possibility to maybe keep bargnani as a 6th man off the bench similar to the "ROLE" of lamar odom. I love amir johnson but he said it himself if you read between the lines of his statement that he and ed davis bring much of the same to this team. the difference is that amir has had serveral years in the league vs ed being a rookie with more upside and less of a learning/development curve. Possibly packaging amir in a deal to bring in a true centre to potentially start with Davis and De Rozen next year with bargnani as a 6th man wouldnt be terrible.

Comment

SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
                                If a legit center can be brought in, I think that giving bargnani a chance to prove himself at the PF might be an option, either that or a 6th man, their is no question he is a great offensive talent we just need someone to lock it down defensively down low. He will be an allstar their is no question about that, but he needs to be used for what he is, a gifted offensive player. A rotation of 4 bigs including one legit defensive center of bargnani, davis, and amir, sounds pretty deep to me ... Im not a bargnani lover by any means but he has improved offensively every year he has been here and causes huge match up problems, opposing teams must hate to guard him, he could be an asset in the years to come ...
                                Let Bargnani prove himself at PF? If you hadn't noticed, he's pretty much been playing PF this year. He's been defended by the other team's PF and has usually taken the weakest offensive player. What do you think he has to prove?

And the problem with moving him to PF is the Raptors already have two good PFs and one of them looks to be a budding star with a brighter future than Bargnani.
                                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                                X