Available legitimate Center for Toronto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maleko wrote: View Post
    WOW. This is a huge about face for a man who really wanted to stay in Denver (newborn, wife's family, etc etc). This does not look good for Denver, but opens up an opportunity for the Raps!

Competition likely comes from New Jersey, and perhaps Houston.

Would Denver do a sign and trade here for Bargnani would you think? If they are going to lose him maybe Bargnani, Alabi (Masai's man) for S&TNene and their pick?

Comment

• Nene is a better player than Bargnani. Why would they throw in the pick?

And not that I don't like Nene, but he'll be 29 at the start of the season, and doesn't exactly jibe with the youth movement. I really don't see the point of acquiring anyone that is in their late 20s.
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• 71%

I'm with Tim here and then factor in that he's only been physically able to participate in 71% of regular season games in his career. That's 58 games per season.

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
          Nene is a better player than Bargnani. Why would they throw in the pick?

And not that I don't like Nene, but he'll be 29 at the start of the season, and doesn't exactly jibe with the youth movement. I really don't see the point of acquiring anyone that is in their late 20s.
          Apollo wrote: View Post
          I'm with Tim here and then factor in that he's only been physically able to participate in 71% of regular season games in his career. That's 58 games per season.
          Fair points, although when discussing available C's Nene was not a consideration (serious one) as he was publicly stating he wanted to stay in Denver. If the Raptors draft Kanter (missing out on top 2 picks) then Nene can bridge the gap to Kanter's full development and allow EK's body to fully develop without too much pounding reducing injury possibilities for future.

Tim, the situation would be they are losing him so to do a S&T is more a favour, and therefore they sweeten. Raps could conceivably sign without trade, but better for them if they open up some salary.

At the least, it increases the C crop out there in FA and helps the Raptors get a chance to sign who they want.

Comment

• Maleko wrote: View Post
            Fair points, although when discussing available C's Nene was not a consideration (serious one) as he was publicly stating he wanted to stay in Denver. If the Raptors draft Kanter (missing out on top 2 picks) then Nene can bridge the gap to Kanter's full development and allow EK's body to fully develop without too much pounding reducing injury possibilities for future.

Tim, the situation would be they are losing him so to do a S&T is more a favour, and therefore they sweeten. Raps could conceivably sign without trade, but better for them if they open up some salary.

At the least, it increases the C crop out there in FA and helps the Raptors get a chance to sign who they want.
            I don't really see the point in "bridging the gap" as you and others have suggested. Especially with someone as valuable as Nene. It seems like a HUGE waste of an asset. Of which the Raptors have few valuable ones. I'm against acquiring anyone who wouldn't be in the long term plans UNLESS they are an asset that will go up in value, something Nene probably won't do.
            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• I'm kinda iffy on Nene. The kid's a beast, but he's also older and has had a history of injury problems. Caveat emptor, especially 5's with injury problems. And there's always the talk that he wants one last payday so he can retire back in Brazil and help his church. If we were a real team on the rise missing a centre, I might be inclined to reach for him, but we're not in that position, so I really wouldn't feel comfortable overpaying for him.

Comment

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
                I'm kinda iffy on Nene. The kid's a beast, but he's also older and has had a history of injury problems. Caveat emptor, especially 5's with injury problems. And there's always the talk that he wants one last payday so he can retire back in Brazil and help his church. If we were a real team on the rise missing a centre, I might be inclined to reach for him, but we're not in that position, so I really wouldn't feel comfortable overpaying for him.
                I would not spend the money on Nene. By the time the young players on the team can contribute, he'll be past his peak.

I would worry about the injury history and cancer as well. I hate to fault a guy for either but when you are talking precious cap space and, as Apollo pointed out, considering he averages 58 games per season - I don't think so.

Also this quote got me:

"I've been here for nine years," Nene told the Post. "If that doesn't work how you want it, you need to sit down and evaluate everything and see what you can do. ...

"I did my best for the team, for the city. I tried to do my best for the fans,” he added. “But the (Nuggets) need to understand you need to see the return on the other side, or you need to look for it. You need to look for it sometimes.

"They don't realize all of the sacrifices I made. When you don't feel appreciated, it's hard."
                Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/stor...#ixzz1LKpV3TgU
                All the sacrifices he has made? Maybe I am missing something here but these are my thoughts:
                1) you married a DEN woman - not much sacrifice living in DEN especially considering a month or two ago it was all about staying or possibly retiring if traded.
                2) DEN signed you to a three year contract then a 6 year extension and have paid you $70M
                3) They stuck by you throughout your injuries and health scares - and paid you handsomely all the while
                4) It has only been the last 3 seasons where he has been able to be counted on
                5) Everyone makes sacrifices on a team - if you want to be 100% for yourself, play singles tennis.

Again, maybe I'm missing something here, but Nene went down a peg in my books after reading that quote. Nene is another person with a short term memory and suffering from "What have you done for me lately?"-itis. All my opinion, as usual. If someone can add anything that might help me see his sacrifices, I'd appreciate it.

Comment

• I'm very curious as to the quality of Enas Kanter. He has been hurt for the entire year I frankly, I fear he is the next Oden. However if there is a better option on the board ( Williams, Irving, Walker, ect) I would go with them and try to lure out a defensive big that can run like Chandler and keep Bargnani to have a lineup of Chandler, Bargnani, Johnson(williams), DeRozan, Calderon(Irving). Which would give us a great fast break, promise, veteran leadership, and cap space.
                  P.S - Get rid of Triano

Comment

• northgrantballer wrote: View Post
                    I'm very curious as to the quality of Enas Kanter. He has been hurt for the entire year I frankly, I fear he is the next Oden. However if there is a better option on the board ( Williams, Irving, Walker, ect) I would go with them and try to lure out a defensive big that can run like Chandler and keep Bargnani to have a lineup of Chandler, Bargnani, Johnson(williams), DeRozan, Calderon(Irving). Which would give us a great fast break, promise, veteran leadership, and cap space.
                    P.S - Get rid of Triano
                    Kanter was not hurt for the entire year that I am aware of. He was deemed ineligible under NCAA rules for excessive benefits received while playing in Turkey. I believe the amount was $33,000. There have been questions surrounding his knees, but that would be very thoroughly examined in the medicals and has yet to be proved to be anything other than a rumour.

Comment

I'm very curious as to the quality of Enas Kanter. He has been hurt for the entire year I frankly, I fear he is the next Oden. However if there is a better option on the board ( Williams, Irving, Walker, ect) I would go with them and try to lure out a defensive big that can run like Chandler and keep Bargnani to have a lineup of Chandler, Bargnani, Johnson(williams), DeRozan, Calderon(Irving). Which would give us a great fast break, promise, veteran leadership, and cap space.
                      P.S - Get rid of Triano
                      Further to Matt52's reply post...the issue of Kanter's injuries seems to be taking on entire life and embellishment. He has actually spent the entire season at Kentucky U. and had been assigned a player-coach designation by Calipari...probably so he could workout with the team though ineligible to play. Regarding his knee injuries could you provide a single source of description and authentication of the type of injury he suffered and his rehab period (no blog posts please)? I have also heard thru a blog posting that all he had was tendinitis.These pronouncement of knee injuries and comparison to Oden are getting tiresome.
                      Last edited by Bendit; Tue May 3, 2011, 09:03 PM.

Comment

P.S - Get rid of Triano
                        lol not a clue

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
                          Further to Matt52's reply post...the issue of Kanter's injuries seems to be taking on entire life and embellishment. He has actually spent the entire season at Kentucky U. and had been assigned a player-coach designation by Calipari...probably so he could workout with the team though ineligible to play. Regarding his knee injuries could you provide a single source of description and authentication of the type of injury he suffered and his rehab period (no blog posts please)? I have also heard thru a blog posting that all he had was tendinitis.These pronouncement of knee injuries and comparison to Oden are getting tiresome.
                          I've question his knee issues, as well, and really found nothing to support the claim he has knee problems. From what I've been able to gather, most of the accounts are second or third hand, and none seem to be able to point to anything in particular, just the vague "knee problems".

I also don't think there's ANY comparison to Oden, who never looked like he was great physically, even when he was supposedly healthy.
                          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• If Kanter has two even legs he is already one up on Oden.

Comment

• Keep in mind that this is the NY Post...

With the chances slim of adding a quality center with the 17th pick in the draft and with an unkind salary cap situation in 2011, sources close to Knicks president Donnie Walsh say he has targeted Kings 6-foot-11 shotblocker Samuel Dalembert as the likeliest free-agent catch this summer.
                              Dalembert would be the perfect fit for a roster that does not contain a legit starting center. Dalembert, who turns 30 this week, averaged 8.1 points, 8.2 rebounds and 1.4 blocks this season for the troubled Kings, who have threatened to move to Anaheim but appear ready to stay in Sacramento at least one more year.

In the first-round sweep, coach Mike D'Antoni started injury-prone Ronny Turiaf at center, and Jared Jeffries, who will be a free agent, was the backup.
                              Source: NY Post

That would be one guy on the table who I would not want to see in a Raptors jersey.
                              Last edited by Apollo; Wed May 4, 2011, 09:21 AM. Reason: entered title

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                                Source: NY Post

That would be one guy on the table who I would not want to see in a Raptors jersey.
                                But again would take away another team looking for a C and leave other options open to the Raps.

Comment

Working...
                                X