No announcement yet.

Available legitimate Center for Toronto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dwight Howard could be made available this summer seeing's how Orlando management have completely screwed up his tenure with them. Maybe sell him on the fact that he could come to join all the young and developing talent and leave behind all the old has-beens.
    Welp, that sucked.

Comment

• Memphis just signed an extension with Randolph for 71 million over 4 years. I think they signed Rudy Gay to 16 million per season so they can simply NOT offer Max money for Gasol anymore.

Is Gasol Worth the Max Money ? If yes, will Raptors Pay it ?

Comment

• our chances of acquiring Marc Gasol just got better!!

Comment

• Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post
          Marc Gasol is older than Joakim Noah and not as good defensively nor as a rebounder. Offering him a max contract would be a huge mistake in my opinion.

Comment

• I don't think anyone would give him a max contract, but theyd certainly overpay. I hope the raptors are one of those teams.
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post
              Memphis just signed an extension with Randolph for 71 million over 4 years. I think they signed Rudy Gay to 16 million per season so they can simply NOT offer Max money for Gasol anymore.

Under the current CBA they most certainly could offer max money using Bird Rights. Will this be allowed in the new CBA? That is to be determined.

Comment

• pesterm1 wrote: View Post
                TIM is correct there is no rush for us to take a center this year. After looking at other centersin the league who are available this year there are plenty of nice C's we can get after next season. Heres the list.

2012 free agent centers:
                SAC- J.Thompson - Rest.
                WSH- J.McGee - Rest.
                LA - A.Bynum - Unrestricted
                IND - Hibbert - Rest.

The list has players that i think would sign in toronto and some that may be harder to get.
                Both J.thompson of sacremento and Javale Mcgee of washington player for lottery teams (like toronto) IMO toronto is in a better sittuation and has a brighter future then both of those teams as well. so i think we get have a chance at either of those players.

The other 2 Centers i listed played for playoff team. Roy hibbert of indianna is on a team that just made the playoffs and are cmost likely gonna get swept, they have coaching problems and who knows if they are playoff bound next year. hibbert would do well in toronto IMO and is obtainable. The hardest C of the group to sign would be Bynum because he plays for the lakers obviously. On realgm i read an article about howard saying if he was to play on another team and be trade he would want it to be Newjersey or La lakers. If La tried to sign Howard it will be ahrd for them to keep bynum and he might also be packaged in a trade so at that point bynyum is obtainable.

I think if toronto gets a 1st overall pick and gets a PG like kyrie irving or even a good defensie sf like barnes that toronto becomes a team other players may consider joining because they have a solid base and pottentially a bright future.

All the center i listed are young but Hibbert has some expeience now and Bynum has been in the league since he was 18 and played for a championsip team so he has the the IQ.

Howard source: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...This_Offseason
                IMO la is dwights 1st choice and nets his second. after seeing how the NBA offseason and FA's went last year i have a good feeling howard will ironically end up on La and he is the second comming of SHAQ.
                Thompson yes in terms of a lotto team with upcoming RFA C's. Javale Mcgee I don't see leaving: they have John Wall, a solid lotto pick this year (perhaps next year?) they can get a solid wing player and a pile of money coming off the books in 2yrs when Rashard Lewis comes off the books. It looks to be a good young team that he knows, instead of a good young team he has no connection with. Hibbert? Not sold on him. Bynum of course but don't see him coming here unless he is not the traded player back to Orlando if LAL takes Howard. Even then he has a lot of options (San Antonio has a pile of money freeing up at that same time with Duncan coming off.)

Comment

• Hugmenot wrote: View Post
                  Marc Gasol is older than Joakim Noah and not as good defensively nor as a rebounder. Offering him a max contract would be a huge mistake in my opinion.
                  Ya, I've got to agree totally. Some Raptor fans seem to be so obsessed with getting a decent center that they're willing to something they'll regret later in order to get one. Gasol is certainly a good center, but if you didn't want to pay Bosh the max (as many fans claimed), why on earth would you want to pay a guy who has never been to an All-Star game the max?
                  Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                  Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                    Guys, Kaman is 29 years old. Is he the guy in the middle that a Raptors team would want even though they won't be ready to legitimately contend for another three or four years if it all goes right?
                    Yes, in my opinion Kaman is absolutely worth it, for a number of reasons.

-His contract is only for 2 more years. As well, 11m/year for a text-book starting C in the NBA is very good value.
                    -Yes he's 29, but he's an all-star calibre center. Out of all positions, centers can play the longest. So he may be 29, but there's no reason he doesn't have 4-5 years of good b-ball in him.
                    -He can play in the post, hit the mid-range and is solid defensively. He's a great option to have as a veteran C to anchor the team while a younger legit prospect C develops as his backup.

And no to Oden. As much as he could be good if doesn't get injured again, a quick glance at him tells me he's not much longer for the league. Dude's body is that of a 50 year old. Anyone seen the movie Jack (actually, I hope not)? Don't forget that he was injured his entire year of college as well (though playing through it, and shooting with his bad hand).

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
                      Ya, I've got to agree totally. Some Raptor fans seem to be so obsessed with getting a decent center that they're willing to something they'll regret later in order to get one. Gasol is certainly a good center, but if you didn't want to pay Bosh the max (as many fans claimed), why on earth would you want to pay a guy who has never been to an All-Star game the max?
                      Because real centers are a rare commodity in the NBA. Only a handful of teams actually have one, and those that do are pretty much always found competing in the playoffs. If I'm going to overpay for any position, it's going to be a for true center. Particularly one that is Gasol's age.

And if you want to argue that Joakim Noah is better defensively than is Gasol, consider this: Gasol holds his opponents to a PER of 13.8, whereas Noah holds his counterpart to a PER of 18.2. That is a pretty significant difference. Noah may be a better rebounder, but he's not really an elite on-ball defender. Gasol is, and he's injured far, far less. Rarely injured, in fact. Noah has missed significant time in almost every season he's played.

Also, there's a big difference between Bosh's max level salary as a more veteran player and Gasol's max level salary. I don't know the exact numbers, but I think the difference is in the range of 5 million a year or so. So, yeah you're paying Gasol the max, but the max for a player of his age and tenureship, not really the true NBA max.
                      Last edited by jeff_hostetler; Mon Apr 18, 2011, 02:51 PM.

Comment

• jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
                        Because real centers are a rare commodity in the NBA. Only a handful of teams actually have one, and those that do are pretty much always found competing in the playoffs. If I'm going to overpay for any position, it's going to be a for true center. Particularly one that is Gasol's age.

And if you want to argue that Joakim Noah is better defensively than is Gasol, consider this: Gasol holds his opponents to a PER of 13.8, whereas Noah holds his counterpart to a PER of 18.2. That is a pretty significant difference. Noah may be a better rebounder, but he's not really an elite on-ball defender. Gasol is, and he's injured far, far less. Rarely injured, in fact.

Also, there's a big difference between Bosh's max level salary as a more veteran player and Gasol's max level salary. I don't know the exact numbers, but I think the difference is in the range of 5 million a year or so. So, yeah you're paying Gasol the max, but the max for a player of his age and tenureship, not really the true NBA max.
                        I have no problem with overpaying Gasol, but I do have a problem with paying him the max, no matter what that might be. I think you're asking for trouble if you do that. You want to pay him Joakim Noah money? I'd be fine with that if that's what it takes to get him. You want to pay him Kevin Durant money? Well, that's where I have a problem.
                        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Yeah, I suppose in discussing this, it would be helpful to know what we're talking about concerning what Gasol's max numbers would actually be.

From wikipedia:

The maximum salary of a player with 6 or fewer years of experience is either $9,000,000 or 25% of the total salary cap (2010-11: $14,511,000)
                          So, then, yeah. 14.5 million sounds like a lot for Gasol.

Okafor makes 11.5
                          Perkins just signed a contract for 8.7/year (average)
                          Noah's extension pays 12m/year (average)

Gasol is going to be offered, by some team, 10-12m, I would wager. If you're willing to pay him Noah money (12m), is 2.5m such a big difference that you might risk losing out on attaining your franchise C? Think about how many useless players make that much money (2.5m, I mean).
                          Last edited by jeff_hostetler; Mon Apr 18, 2011, 03:08 PM.

Comment

• I also just found this article, which discusses Noah's extension (in highly favourable terms).

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/bal...urn=nba-274449

The piece begins with this:

Joakim Noah has agreed to a five-year, $60 million contract extension with the Chicago Bulls -- a deal with incentives that could push the contract up a few quid, perhaps around the realm of $65 million total
                            With incentives, then, Noah's contract actually pays him north of 13m/year. 1.5m short of the max.

Comment

• jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
                              Yeah, I suppose in discussing this, it would be helpful to know what we're talking about concerning what Gasol's max numbers would actually be.

So, then, yeah. 14.5 million sounds like a lot for Gasol.

Okafor makes 11.5
                              Perkins just signed a contract for 8.7/year (average)
                              Noah's extension pays 12m/year (average)

Gasol is going to be offered, by some team, 10-12m, I would wager. If you're willing to pay him Noah money (12m), is 2.5m such a big difference that you might risk losing out on attaining your franchise C? Think about how many useless players make that much money (2.5m, I mean).
                              Noah will be paid $10 million next season, which is $4 million less than the max. Noah's AVERAGE salary is in the $12 million range. The max average salary is closer $16.4 million. That's a $4 million difference. I'd say that's pretty big. Even at Noah money, you'd be overpaying Gasol a fair bit.
                              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• I did mention that Noah's salary was averaged. Basically, though, the max salary then starts at 14.5, then gets max increases per year? Makes sense.

Yeah. Max is too much for Gasol, I agree. In the 12 range, as an average, isn't unjust though. He's not injury prone, which is key. Bogut, Bynum, Noah, Chandler...these guys are injured (or used to be in the case of Chandler) as often as they're not. Perkins just came back from a long absence. Hard to find a legit and durable C in Gasol's class. Increases his value in my opinion.

I'm also in no rush though on the rebuild, and if I was drafting Biyombo, I'd probably take a pass on such an expensive long-term commitment as Gasol. Which is why I think Kaman is such a good option. He'd hold the fort until a decent prospect C came the Raps' way and would give them ample room to develop. And if that prospect wasn't found he'd still be a good option beyond his current contract.

Comment

Working...
                                X