No announcement yet.

Available legitimate Center for Toronto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just say no to oft-injured bigs. Kaman is one of them.

Of the players to choose from in the rfa/fa put me down for Gasol and Thomson. In that order and nobody else, really.
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
      Just say no to oft-injured bigs. Kaman is one of them.

Of the players to choose from in the rfa/fa put me down for Gasol and Thomson. In that order and nobody else, really.
      same i looked over that list and there just isnt much there, we might be better off getting a center like magloire and waiting till next season. or try trading for a C like varejao

Comment

• I don't understand why no one wants Chris Kaman...but everyone praised Jesus when the Raps almost landed Tyson Chandler. It makes no sense

They're the same age, but Kaman is a better scorer, and holds his opponents to a lower PER than does Chandler. He also blocks more shots than Chandler. Kaman has also been an all-star.

Comment

• Kaman is injured the majority of the season
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• is thompson really 6'11" ? i always thought he was around 6'8"/6'9".

Comment

• jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
              I don't understand why no one wants Chris Kaman...but everyone praised Jesus when the Raps almost landed Tyson Chandler. It makes no sense

They're the same age, but Kaman is a better scorer, and holds his opponents to a lower PER than does Chandler. He also blocks more shots than Chandler. Kaman has also been an all-star.
              He's also had an offensive rating over 100 TWICE in his career. I would still take him for Bargnani though, solely because he's a large expiring contract.

Comment

• funkie wrote: View Post
                is thompson really 6'11" ? i always thought he was around 6'8"/6'9".
                probably grew.

Comment

• I think BC's press conference today pretty much showed that, with or without Bargnani, a legit C is on the agenda this summer.

That got me thinking about opponent PER. No advanced statistic can give a true indication of defensive (or offensive) ability but it can at least help paint a picture and, when using same stat for everyone, can compare apples to apples.

Let's look at Bargnani's OPP PER versus other C's throughout the league (those who may be attainable are in bold):

Player/OPP PER (lower the better & all stats from 82games.com)

Bargnani 21.3

McGee 17.2
                  Jefferson 18.0 (speculation)
                  Duncan 13.9
                  Thompson 15.6 (speculation)
                  Camby 14.6
                  Aldridge 15.6
                  Speights 20.7
                  Gortat 15.3
                  Howard 9.9
                  Perkins 17.8 (OKC)
                  Ibaka 17.3
                  Turiaf 18.6
                  Okafor 14.3
                  Lopez 16.5
                  Bogut 12.9
                  Gasol 14.6
                  Bynum 12.9
                  Jordan 17.4
                  Kaman 15.2
                  Hibbert 18.3
                  Hayes 19.1
                  Thabeet 53.8 (HOU)
                  Thabeet 20.1 (MEM)
                  Biendris 21.9
                  Wallce 17.4
                  Nene 18.3
                  Chandler 18.9
                  Varejo 13.1 (speculation)
                  Noah 18.6
                  Perkins 18.3 (BOS)
                  Shaq 16.3
                  Horford 16.3

A couple of things that I suprised me:

1) Perkins, Noah, Chandler, Nene, Jordan are much higher than I thought he would have been.

2) Lopez and Thompson have a lower OPP PER than I would have thought.

3) Thabeet is not a misprint.

4) Biendris is much worse than I would have thought.

Keep in mind these stats do not prove or show overall impact a player may have on a team. Chandler is a good example of how a relatively high (or at best average) OPP PER does not mean he did not help his team get better: last year DAL were 15th in opponents PPG at 99.3 and 12th in defensive rating at 106.3; this year DAL were 10th in opponents PPG at 96.0 and 8th in defensive rating at 105.0.

Comment

• I am for Thompson, who getting would also likely involve us getting other pieces; I would be good with Jordan, or Gasol but less so, and then last tier Chandler or Jefferson as a LAST resort but requiring pick/s with him. No to Kaman, I don't see his health maintaining as he is finding the suit-bench more often as he is about to enter his 30s.

I will say it again, I do not see Nene as an option. He has strong ties to Denver, they want to keep him, he really wants to stay, and just had a baby. Last summer he had hinted (I do not have link) that he would consider retiring after the season if he was traded, or to return to Denver. You HAVE to know that if he was available, NYK would have begged to take Nene with Carmelo, and the Nets when they were chasing him. Since he was not involved that says something.
                    Amazing how far Biedrins has fallen.

Comment

• Maleko wrote: View Post
                      I am for Thompson, who getting would also likely involve us getting other pieces; I would be good with Jordan, or Gasol but less so, and then last tier Chandler or Jefferson as a LAST resort but requiring pick/s with him. No to Kaman, I don't see his health maintaining as he is finding the suit-bench more often as he is about to enter his 30s.

I will say it again, I do not see Nene as an option. He has strong ties to Denver, they want to keep him, he really wants to stay, and just had a baby. Last summer he had hinted (I do not have link) that he would consider retiring after the season if he was traded, or to return to Denver. You HAVE to know that if he was available, NYK would have begged to take Nene with Carmelo, and the Nets when they were chasing him. Since he was not involved that says something.
                      Amazing how far Biedrins has fallen.
                      Total agreement on Nene. He is not available. He discussed retiring rather than leaving DEN. He and his wife are very happy there with a new born child I believe. I bolded him because he has a player option and technically will be available - but not really.

Comment

• Varajeo is just a hype and he barely played center in Cleavland and was mostly PF. I can only imagine a front line Amir and Anderson . It will be a hell of time scoring with these bigs.

As far as the stat OPP PER, another useless stats. Looking at these numbers, Anderson is better Tyson Chandler or Turiaf is the same as Perkin or Ibaka is better hibbert and ...

The choices fro REAL , EFFECTIVE, Centers coming to Toronto is VERY VERY limited unless Toronto Seriously over pays one of these guys . I guess Amir and DD will not get their wish this year and we will suffer from another year of BAD defense, since there is NO TRUE center in this team

Comment

• Varajeo is just a hype and he barely played center in Cleavland and was mostly PF. I can only imagine a front line Amir and Anderson . It will be a hell of time scoring with these bigs.

As far as the stat OPP PER, another useless stats. Looking at these numbers, Anderson is better Tyson Chandler or Turiaf is the same as Perkin or Ibaka is better hibbert and ...

The choices fro REAL , EFFECTIVE, Centers coming to Toronto is VERY VERY limited unless Toronto Seriously over pays one of these guys . I guess Amir and DD will not get their wish this year and we will suffer from another year of BAD defense, since there is NO TRUE center in this team

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            Total agreement on Nene. He is not available. He discussed retiring rather than leaving DEN. He and his wife are very happy there with a new born child I believe. I bolded him because he has a player option and technically will be available - but not really.
                            Yeah, would love him though. Have to respect the guy for putting family and life above all. Of course he has made his money to have the option.

Comment

• Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post
                              Varajeo is just a hype and he barely played center in Cleavland and was mostly PF. I can only imagine a front line Amir and Anderson . It will be a hell of time scoring with these bigs.

Once again, do you read the posts?

Keep in mind these stats do not prove or show overall impact a player may have on a team. Chandler is a good example of how a relatively high (or at best average) OPP PER does not mean he did not help his team get better: last year DAL were 15th in opponents PPG at 99.3 and 12th in defensive rating at 106.3; this year DAL were 10th in opponents PPG at 96.0 and 8th in defensive rating at 105.0.
                              Or is it just considered another opportunty to deliver the same message over and over again that the team is "full of scrubs, no good talent"?

Comment

• ^^^^ Again, Relax Brother. The message is SIMPLE:

DON'T LIKE IT , DON'T READ IT ....

Now, Smile so the world smiles at you

Comment

Working...
                                X