In defense of Sonny Weems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maleko wrote: View Post
    Thanks Jeff, I was reading the PER line. Ha! Sorry bout that.
    I did the exact same thing, so you're not alone.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
      I did the exact same thing, so you're not alone.
      Wow, Congrats Timmi. You are talking about something that is not related to AB !!! Are you sure that this is the RIGHT thing to do ?
      I think you should keep your focus on how bad of rebounder is AB. We need you there Pal.

Comment

jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
        Just to throw it out there, I'm going to compare Sonny Weems' numbers as a SG this year to those of Aaron Afflalo and Thabo Sefolosha: two young SG's well known for good/excellent defensive play.

PER/Opp. PER/StlsPG
        Weems: 14.6/12/0.6
        Afflalo: 13.7/16.2/0.5
        Sefalosha: 11.6/13.2/1.2

Weems' offensive PER is not only better than both of theirs, but his defensive PER is as well. Sefalosha gets more steals and can defend the 3 very well (Opp. PER of 10.7). But he's basically got zero offense (PER at the 3 = 10.1).
        Afflalo is a great 3 point shooter, but his defensive numbers aren't actually that good.

So? Is it heresy to call it a wash?

Weems is not only younger than both of them, but he has less experience. His 3 point shooting percentages - while not very good right now - have increased significantly each year, and are basically on par with Sefalosha. Both Afflalo and Sefalosha are starters for playoff teams in the West. A number of people here don't even want Weems back.

What am I saying? Perception is a funny thing.
        Just out of interest, whe are you getting those numbers from?
        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Thabo Sefolosha | 5.1 PT | .471 of 4.2 FG | .747 of 1.0 FT | .275 of 1.3 3P | 4.4/0.8 RB | 1.41 AS | 0.48 BL | 1.23 ST | 0.70 TO | 2.16 PF | 25.9 MN | 79/79 GS

I'm guessing he's getting the #s from BasketballReference.

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
            Thabo Sefolosha | 5.1 PT | .471 of 4.2 FG | .747 of 1.0 FT | .275 of 1.3 3P | 4.4/0.8 RB | 1.41 AS | 0.48 BL | 1.23 ST | 0.70 TO | 2.16 PF | 25.9 MN | 79/79 GS

I'm guessing he's getting the #s from BasketballReference.
            I would say from 82games.com, which does draw/refer basketballreference.

Comment

I use 82games.com to find the player's PER/Opp.PER - these are adjusted to 48 minutes/game. But since PER is minutes independent (ie, it shouldn't change depending on how many minutes played, the 48 min adjustment is irrelevant.)

I get the other stats, like steals per game, 3pt%, etc, from espn.

Comment

As for Sonny Weems , like the great Jack Armstrong would say , "GIT THAT GAARBAGE OUTTA HEA"
                NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

Interesting thread, I am also someone who was high on Sonny last year and low on him now. I would be okay with bringing him back on a reasonable contract if we move him over to the 2 spot. However I would still play him behind leandhro if he exercises his player option. I agree that most of Barbs points come "out of the offense" but I don't think that they are necessarily a bad thing. I do think that his "one man fast breaks" do add some energy to the bench and put the opposing defense on their heels and change the momentum. However, it is hit and miss so at the end it is probably a wash. However, a wash is better than having someone come in who only makes a negative impact. Even if barbosa opts in he should be a trade-able asset. I'd be nice to see a
                  DeRozen/Barbosa/Weems
                  Line up next year, maybe we can Slide Barbosa over to the point in certain situations (especially in the case of an injury to Calderon/Bayless) to give Sonny a little more burn at the 2. If he steps it up package Barbs in w/ Calderon and/or Barg's to get a serviceable PG/SF/C (Filling holes that weren't addressed at the draft). If Sonny doesn't work keep barbs and draft a sg with our mid first round pick next year (i'm assuming we will still be in the lottery but not near the bottom like we are this year)
                  "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

i feel bad for weems he gets bashed by his own fans on twitter.lol.

Comment

This thread is pretty poinless. Almost everyone here here is a Weems haters.

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
                        I like and I don't like Weems. As a cheap bench guy, and that would mean $1.5M in my mind, perhaps. He would have to learn to pick his shots, and I like the 'idea' of him as a defensive 2, and I do think he can be that kind of player, but he has to prove it before he can even be a $2-3M guy. His defensive numbers aside, saying he is a better 3pt shooter is not painting the whole picture, since as WJF said, he shot under 28% (for a career average of 24.1%), and that is horrible. Sure he's not Shaq shooting a 3, but not someone you want to be shooting it.

If he can stay within his game (which he did at the end of last year), work on his 3pt shooting...a LOT, and focus on being a defensive 2 (not a chucker 2), then I say a 1+1 contract (second 1 being a team option) in the $1M range first year and $2M in his second say, as an incentive to play within his game and improve the areas he needs to for the TEAM is warranted.

My opinion, is $3M is too much for him right now.
                        I agree.Playing him at the 3 was something I couldn't understand cause doesn't make sense to me.He can be good.He isn't that bad right now.Considering his injury this season for that price he is actually great bench player + I really do believe he will be a lot better next season.

Comment

I pegged him to average between 12-15 ppg and he was doing just fine until his injuries hit. I like him as a talent and as a potential bench player, I do question his motor and desire. Can't have him floating around playing hard on every third possession. I say there are others out there who will bring the same with more consistency and better effort..

Comment

Working...
                          X