No announcement yet.

Calderon Down For Playing Lots of International Ball Over The Next Two Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calderon Down For Playing Lots of International Ball Over The Next Two Years

MADRID (EuroBasket) – Toronto Raptors point guard Jose Calderon is hoping to play at a third straight Olympics with Spain.

Los Chicos de Oro can punch their ticket for the London Games by reaching the EuroBasket Final this summer in Lithuania.

"The EuroBasket this year is very important and more so for qualifying for the Olympics, which will make it all the more special,” Calderon said.

“Each year is more complicated because everyone wants to play.

“Moreover, this year you have 24 national teams and it will be beautiful.”
    Calderon is coming off a strong season in the NBA with the Toronto Raptors.
    Source: Fiba.com

This means two things. One, this writer didn't watch the 2010/2011 Raptors play much. Two, get ready for another injury plagued campaign for Jose Calderon as his body will have no time to recover.
    Yes
    58.33%
    No
    41.67%

Well if there's a lockout then I guess it doesn't really matter. but I'm not super excited about this or anything.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post

This means two things. One, this writer didn't watch the 2010/2011 Raptors play much. Two, get ready for another injury plagued campaign for Jose Calderon as his body will have no time to recover.
      Well, when does this thing end? September? That gives him October-January to rest. Should be enough time.

Comment

You assume that the lockout will last until January, why? '98 was a long time ago and there were different issues then. This could end in June, July, August, September, September 2012, we can't say. The Raptors won't be in a position to stop him this summer if the lockout is still ongoing but if it ends in August or September then it's business as usual come October.

Comment

This is further proof why I say trade him YESTERDAY. Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. If a trade can be made that makes the Raptors as good (or bad depending on perspective) as they are now or make them better, trade him. The risks far outweigh the rewards in my opinion.

EDIT: when I say better I mean one or both of better financially or talent-wise. Either or is a win for the Raptors - both would be ideal, of course.
          Last edited by mcHAPPY; Wed May 4, 2011, 04:13 PM.

Comment

More evidence the team is best off moving him

Edit:what matt said
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I agree too. I think he's already gonna be very hard to trade since all the playoff teams have solid PG's and Calderon wouldn't be an upgrade. If they wait till the hard cap comes in...forget about it!
              Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Trade him.

It clearly shows he does not want to improve for the sake of the Raptors.
                He should be working on his defense and jumpshot in the summer rather than playing euroball.

Comment

If Rubio lands in Minnesota I could see a lot of changes coming to their PG depth chart. Calderon would be the perfect backup to him. Spain won mulitple championships with those two sharing time.

Comment

Jose's minutes with Spain are not that significant to really make it that hard on his body. With Ricky Rubio, Raul Lopez, and even Juan Carlos Navarro and Sergio Llull all capable of being a lead guard, Jose is not a crucial to his team's success as he once was, look for him to be an emotional leader with spot minutes.

I forgot to mention Sergio Rodriguez and Carlos Cabezas as other very solid PG's in the Spanish system.
                    Last edited by WJF; Thu May 5, 2011, 09:07 AM. Reason: Two more PGs
                    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Over the past seven years Calderon has started most of the games. Rubio no doubt will take that role moving forward but I'm not sure why you think inferior players like Rodriguez and Cabezas are going to eat into his minutes. Do you feel they're going to carry four PG and play all of them? As for Navarro, yeah he's capable of playing PG but his position is SG. Spain doesn't care about where Calderon is at for the NBA season, they just care about where he's at for games that are important for them. He's always played an important role for them, he's only 30 and he may be the best player right now out of all the names you mentioned. Yes, that includes Rubio. Rubio no doubt is going to be a vastly superior player to Calderon but he's struggled this year. Calderon has always been very solid for Spain and is one of their leaders. I expect him to have a big role and you're not even considering practice time or potential injuries which could extend his PT.

Comment

i have nothing to add to this discussion, except for..

god bless Spain.

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
                          i have nothing to add to this discussion, except for..

god bless Spain.
                          That was freakin awesome! WTF were they thinking?!

As far as trading him goes, why would a team take a chance on an overpriced 30 year old PG before he goes to play for Spain? It would have to be a bit of a blockbuster where he's included and we take back a bad contract as well.

Comment

Mack North wrote: View Post
                            That was freakin awesome! WTF were they thinking?!
                            gotta remember they're from spain.. internationally, racism isnt viewed as taboo as it is here.. in alot of cases, its just humor without any hateful meaning.. they just havent really experienced the centuries of inequality and hurt feelings that north america has.. like, for instance, if a girl here were to walk up to a black dude and starts asking him why he's so dark.. thats offensive.. but if you're in japan, and a chick walks up to a black dude and asks the same thing, that black dude is probably going to get laid that night.

these guys are from a country that makes monkey sounds en masse to black soccer players

that being said.... jose and the gasol brothers shoulda known better

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                              Over the past seven years Calderon has started most of the games. Rubio no doubt will take that role moving forward but I'm not sure why you think inferior players like Rodriguez and Cabezas are going to eat into his minutes. Do you feel they're going to carry four PG and play all of them? As for Navarro, yeah he's capable of playing PG but his position is SG. Spain doesn't care about where Calderon is at for the NBA season, they just care about where he's at for games that are important for them. He's always played an important role for them, he's only 30 and he may be the best player right now out of all the names you mentioned. Yes, that includes Rubio. Rubio no doubt is going to be a vastly superior player to Calderon but he's struggled this year. Calderon has always been very solid for Spain and is one of their leaders. I expect him to have a big role and you're not even considering practice time or potential injuries which could extend his PT.
                              AS much as practicing, travel. and injuries play a role, Jose's role withe the team is a diminishing one.
                              Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Working...
                              X