Gagan Gandhi: "Simple Solution To Point Guard Controversy"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gagan Gandhi: "Simple Solution To Point Guard Controversy"

Jack and Calderon both played in Wednesday night’s win in Orlando, putting up a combined 20 points and 15 assists, and at times dominating the game whether they were on the court at the same time or not.

Triano is using Calderon in the proper manner at the moment; bringing him off the bench so he gets back into game-shape as well as not allowing his return to disrupt the chemistry Jack has built with the starting unit over the past month because clearly what Jack is doing is working as they’ve won seven of their last eight.

Calderon’s return is also greatly timed because you would much rather he return while the team is winning, otherwise he’d be put back in the starting point guard position and be asked to save the season, be the team’s knight in shining armor and that would have disaster written all over it.

If you trade Calderon now, I will not believe for a second that you expect to win a round in the playoffs having Marcus Banks leading your bench at the point guard slot.

Sure Banks did an acceptable job as the back-up point guard in Calderon’s absence, specifically on the defensive end, but tell me you don’t cringe every time it looks as if he’s ready to take a shot.

Having two point-guards of Jack’s and Calderon’s caliber should be a luxury Triano takes full advantage of. It’s not about whether or not there should be a trade, the key here is how well Triano can integrate Calderon back into line-up without hindering team chemistry and using his assets to the team’s advantage.

Jack’s playing well and it is Calderon’s job to play his way back into the starting line-up, something he’s fully aware of ...or of course wait to see if Jack plays himself off it.

In the end, trading Calderon at this point in time makes no sense because there are too many variables that are undefined. It’s a move that would make more sense in the off-season once you know where Chris Bosh’s head is at, because like it or not all moves from here on out will be made based on his decision to stay or go.
    RealGM.com

Good read.

OR a GM does deals when opportunity presents itself.
    Sometimes that's in season, sometimes its off season.

Maybe a smart GM, if considering trading Calderon, would look to include a backup PG as part of the deal. Calderon could be packaged with one of the Raps excess SG. A 2 for 2 deal?

The options are endless. Timing is when a good deal becomes available. If ever.
    The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

That's a good idea. Toronto offers a PG upgrade plus a serviceable wing and the other team offers an upgrade at the wing and a serviceable PG. Who could do such a deal though? Denver could have had they not traded Lawson for nothing for a box of cracker jacks. Would Washington have interest in Calderon now at this point given the happenings with Arenas and the fact that Foye is about to become a free agent? Calderon and Belinelli for Caron Butler? Calderon and Evans for Miller and Blatche?

Comment

By this rationale, we should've never traded TJ Ford.

Comment

re-sign pops and deal him with banks to GS for ellis
          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
            re-sign pops and deal him with banks to GS for ellis
            Ellis is a street baller. Not a bballer. Takes the first available shot too much. Defense? Nah, not his thing. Passing? Forget it. He knows three things. Me, ball, hoop. This doof is the definition of a LOSER. In no way shape or form do i want this punk within 500 miles of the raptors.

While were daydreaming though, here is my dream raps team.

pg: rajon rondo
            sg: manu ginobli
            sf: shane battier
            pf: carl landry
            c: kendrick perkins
            Last edited by Raffy15; Mon Jan 11, 2010, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
              By this rationale, we should've never traded TJ Ford.
              They should have traded TJ no matter what. He was becoming disruptive.

Comment

If we are gonna trade a point guard( i don't believe we should though) we should trade Jack. JOse is much better and is playing like his old form. I love it when he drives to the rim
                Last name ever, first name greatest

Comment

Working...
                X