DimeMag.com: "Toronto Generals"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DimeMag.com: "Toronto Generals"

Perhaps you hadn’t noticed, but the Raptors are the hottest team in the NBA. (Except when they play the Celtics, but we’ll get to that in a minute.) Having won eight of their last 10 games, one of the reasons for Toronto’s turnaround is their defense; historically soft but currently pretty solid. In the eight W’s during this stretch, the Raps have given up 93 points per night. But when they’ve come across the Celtics, the Raps still can’t get over the hump. Chris Bosh and crew’s only two losses since Dec. 16 have been to Boston, who gave them 114 points and another L yesterday. “They hit shots as soon as the game started,” Jarrett Jack said afterward. “It’s not as though we were just giving them layup after layup and it was like the Globetrotters.” … Rajon Rondo posted a triple-double (22 pts, 10 rebs, 13 asts), and early on you knew it was his day: In the first quarter he took a three with Jack draped all over him that went in off-glass, then did a great job selling it like he meant it … T-Dot had one glaring defensive lapse: Down six with under a minute to go, their biggest defensive possession of the game, and of course Paul Pierce is getting the ball. So who do you have guarding Pierce? Jay Triano went with Marco Belinelli, and guess the rest: Pierce took him to the elbow and dropped an easy pull-up for the dagger
    DimeMag.com

So a lot of focus is spent on how bad Jose Calderon is on D and how he can't rebound, etc. and I totally agree with most of those statements but what about the defense at the other guard spot? DeRozan is a rookie so he gets a pass, for now, on his brain farts but what's Marco's excuse?
    Last edited by Apollo; Mon Jan 11, 2010, 07:31 AM.

What do you mean? Do you think Peirce hitting a shot, warrants that the defender must have a good excuse why he let it happen?
    The one and only

Comment

I mean Marco not defending anyone warrants at least an excuse.

Comment

He was defending someone, Peirce, who took him to the elbow and hit a shot. Players making shots does not mean they were not defended. Remember Beli at one point had a foul blown on him for simply being nearby Perice when he spun around the foul line area.

I assume you watched the game, did you get the impression that Beli wasn't guarding anyone? Or does this all come from your inference from this article that Beli did a poor job on that play, and that requires answers.

Is their some other point here, regarding another player who's considered a poor defender?

Prior to reading this article, was it your impression that Beli had done a really poor job of defending? and if not, why would these words change your impression of what your own eyes observed?
        The one and only

Comment

I already established that I am not referring to just that one play. The article was just a good way of setting the theme of the thread, Marco's mediocre defense so far this season.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
            I already established that I am not referring to just that one play. The article was just a good way of setting the theme of the thread, Marco's mediocre defense so far this season.
            Belinelli, DeRozan, and Weems are all (in terms of # of NBA games played) basically rookies. They get no respect from officials (NBA is very biased against young players).

It is hard for a young guy to play defense without getting called for fouls. Not to mention its hard for any young guy to compete against more experienced players at anything until they "develop", learn, gain respect of the officials, etc... It's not that they don't try!

Raps went with a very young group of SG (+ the athletically challenged Wright). Mediocre defense is what the Raps have the right to expect from them at this point in the season.

Hopefully it gets better.

Turkoglu can defend Pierce (IMO - as good as anybody can) - he just didn't have a good game today. (Pierce only got 16 points so ???)

And what was the point of this article - Beli got stuck on Pierce for a play and Pierce scored - Must be the first time in the past decade Pierce shot over a SG for a bucket! lol
            The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

Working...
            X