Draft Profile: Kawhi Leonard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    To me, this sounds like arguing his height... just saying.

Ok, so give him 1.5" above his 6'-7" height, and he gets 6'-8.5".
    Well seeing as nobody lists .5" increments, that get's rounded up to 6'-9".
    That goes for ANYONE else that is listed at that. It's the way the NBA lists its players heights.

Whether I say James Johnson is 6'-9" or 6'-8.5", shouldn't matter. My point was that he is BIGGER, and STRONGER than Kawhi, while still being a better Ball Handler, and likely a better defender, seeing as he has more weight to throw around.

Who disputed that?
    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

well, like i always say, there's only one thing better than arguing about a player's height...and that's arguing about whether we're arguing about a player's height. ah, the internet...

anywaaaay...FWIW, i think leonard is gonna be a better pro than JJ. not that that's (necessarily) saying all that much.
      TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

For what it's worth, I didn't read WJF as saying James Johnson is only 6'7". He was merely pointing out that 6'9" is a bit of a stretch as it's two full inches over his barefoot height. If anyone reads between the lines, it's pretty clear WJF meant he's more likely 6'8" in shoes. I don't know why it turned into such a big deal.

What we should really take from this is that more players (like Hassan Whiteside) should buy whatever shoes Cole Aldrich was wearing for the draft combine last year. 2.25" gained from not being barefoot, wow! If only Whiteside had been wearing those, instead of his 0.75" flip flops (I know DraftExpress has changed his measurements sometime in the last season to a solid 1" bump, but it used to be less), he wouldn't have fallen out of the 1st round. Height matters!

(Just in case it wasn't clear, I was half-joking in that second paragraph.)

Comment

Quixotic wrote: View Post
          For what it's worth, I didn't read WJF as saying James Johnson is only 6'7". He was merely pointing out that 6'9" is a bit of a stretch as it's two full inches over his barefoot height. If anyone reads between the lines, it's pretty clear WJF meant he's more likely 6'8" in shoes. I don't know why it turned into such a big deal.
          But.. but.. He started it. hahah

Comment

but.. But.. He started it. hahah
            =ppp

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
              How the fck am I wrong? James Johnson did measure out at 6'7" http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/James-Johnson-5053/

Having not played significant minutes during the season James came to us a little bit out of shape, not Oliver Miller out of shape, but by no means was he is mid season form. He will come into camp a little better prepared as he feels he has been given the opportunity to play regular minutes for a team that is heading in the right direction.

If you even took the time to read my post no where did I hate on Johnson, "Johnson has shown a good ability to handle and pass the ball from the 3 spot", does that sound like hate?

I had the opportunity to watch James Johnson play live at Wake Forest and followed his career fairly closely before he ever became a Raptor, so don't come spouting I am wrong if you don't want to back that crap up!
              nope your still wrong

Comment

People have to make it clear, height will ALWAYS be measured with shoes on.
                The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

I've made the point before that Standing Reach and Wingspan are far more important to the game. So you don't need to argue that with me. I agree. But why then, make such a big deal about whether he is 6'-9"?

I realize he was measured at the Combine as 6'-7" ... WITHOUT SHOES.
                  NO players height is listed w/o Shoes. Nobody. In the whole league. So fine, you can say that he is 6'-7" and your "source" backs that up, but your source also calls him out as a 6'-8" Forward.

...So that must throw you for a loop. Your source is giving Conflicting facts..!!!
                  Either way, whatever. You're arguing some pretty Minor, Trivial points. Especially if, as you say, "you don't play the game standing straight up." ...
                  Just on a side note, I've never understood players being measured with shoes. All that does is tell us how thick the soles of their shoes are. Nothing more. Height without shoes gives the best measurement in comparison to everyone else. Yes, they all play with shoes, but does that mean they should weigh football players in full pads?
                  Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                  Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Raptors_ wrote: View Post
                    Your wrong. And this kid just looks like another sonny weems, no thanks. I doubt he'll be able guard the taller and stronger SF's in this league. Stop hating on JJ
                    How is he hating on James Johnson? And how on earth is Leonard another Sonny Weems? Leonard's biggest strength is his defense, and he'll probably immediately be able to contribute in that area. If Weems were the defender that Leonard is, the Raptors would be lucky to re-sign him.
                    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

The reason I said he was like J.J. was cause of his skill set. His a good defender and great rebounder(averaged a double-double), good athlete and has great court vision(averaged 3 ast/game with a great turnover ratio). That sounds like J.J. but his 19 years-old not 24. Not hating I just if BryCo would pick him up if we fall to 4,5 or 6(God forbid).
                      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                        Just on a side note, I've never understood players being measured with shoes. All that does is tell us how thick the soles of their shoes are. Nothing more. Height without shoes gives the best measurement in comparison to everyone else. Yes, they all play with shoes, but does that mean they should weigh football players in full pads?
                        I never understood it either. If they had measured them without shoes, it wouldn't be that difficult to just factor in another inch for the shoes. But with shoes included in the measurement, they have crap like Aldrich and his 2.25" heels making him seem much taller than his 6'9" height. I don't see people putting down their shoe-included height on their driver's license just because nobody walks around on the street or drives their car without shoes on.

Comment

Not saying I agree with it.

Just saying thats its a fact. And when comparing heights of players, one must use the Measurement of 'w/ shoes' because the player you are comparing him against will be given the same criteria with which to compare. If NBA.com listed the players 'w/o shoes', then I'd be all for that. I'm just going with what I got.
                          Like I said a week ago, they would be better served listing Wingspan and Standing Reach rather than a Players Height.

ADD Would Standing Reach be measured with Shoes ON or OFF? haha

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
                            Having not played significant minutes during the season James came to us a little bit out of shape, not Oliver Miller out of shape, but by no means was he is mid season form. H
                            Have some respect, the dude died last week. In unrelated news, Taco Bell stocks plummeted.

Comment

Beaverboi wrote: View Post
                              Have some respect, the dude died last week. In unrelated news, Taco Bell stocks plummeted.
                              I don'even know if the first part of your comment was supposed to be funny or not, but you missed either way

RIP Robert Traylor
                              Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Not saying I agree with it.

Just saying thats its a fact. And when comparing heights of players, one must use the Measurement of 'w/ shoes' because the player you are comparing him against will be given the same criteria with which to compare. If NBA.com listed the players 'w/o shoes', then I'd be all for that. I'm just going with what I got.
                                Like I said a week ago, they would be better served listing Wingspan and Standing Reach rather than a Players Height.

ADD Would Standing Reach be measured with Shoes ON or OFF? haha
                                We're really not arguing with you about whether it's a fact or not you know (we know it's a fact), just talking about ways the measurements could be improved, so no need to feel defensive. =P

And of course standing reach should be measured with shoes off. The point is that players change shoes over the course of their careers, and it's utterly retarded to assume their shoes will be the same as the 2.25" heels they used at the draft combine. If you look at what Draftexpress did with Hassan Whiteside -- the guy came in and measured with flip-flops, giving him only a 0.5" or 0.75" boost. Sometime after that measurement, Draftexpress decided it was stupid to keep that small a boost on his record as the guy will unlikely play in flip-flops during his career, and gave him a flat 1" boost. Most of you won't remember this happening though and will just use Draftexpress' new height w/shoes for Whiteside as fact, even though it was just an estimation.

Comment

Working...
                                X