Turkoglu at the heart of Raptors' issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turkoglu at the heart of Raptors' issues

A good article from the National Post. With the exception of last weeks game against the Magic, Turk has struggled with Numero Ocho back in the lineup. Is it simply because he is not getting enough touches and control of the ball? Whatever it is, both the coaching staff and Turk need to figure it out. The Dinos need him to pick it up if they want to continue winning.

Turkoglu, however, knows that what he is doing isn't good enough. He's just not sure he can change it.

"The way I play, I've never been a selfish guy," said Turkoglu after the game. "I'm just trying to play as hard as I can, and get myself going.

"If I have the ball, I can be more creative with it ... For me, I'm running on the side and expecting to be a spot-up guy - you know, it's hard for me."

In other words, Turkoglu was used to having the offence run through him in Orlando, and that's happening less in the land of Jose Calderon and Jarrett Jack. So while he is actually shooting a higher percentage than he did with the Magic - 42.5%, versus 41.3% on last year's Finals team in Orlando - Turkoglu feels like he is watching too much, waiting for the ball, and then trying a little too often to be a player that he is not.

"I can't really go and grab the ball from Jose or Jack's hands," said the soft-spoken forward. "I respect those guys - they're great players. And they're used to running the team too.

"It's new team, new coach, new system, new players. But it's been three months - I can't keep telling what I did in the past. So I want people to know that I'm limited, too. I try to do my best, but you can be just limited."

Read more: http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/s...#ixzz0cKzlCQON
    The National Post is now on Facebook. Join our fan community today.

Translation of interview:

I thought life would be as easy playing with Chris Bosh like it was with Dwight Howard but it's not turning out to be that way. They don't just give me the ball here, I have to ask for it and I'm kinda shy, so I just try to stand in the corner and not get in peoples way...I respect people.

Comment

But Chris Bosh isn't half the player Dwight Howard is. Bosh is a finesse player, Bargnani is a finesse player who plays like a guard. Moreover, Bargnani never commands a double team which is the most crucial part of the pivot game.

Turkoglu is left to create for himself under duress or catch and shoot treys. NOT HIS GAME. The raptors have a big problem. Either get rid of Calderon or Turkoglu. Someone HAS TO GO. THey cannot coexist. Sorry.

Comment

Bosh needs to set harder screens for Turk. It helps to avoid trapping Turk, and gives Bosh more time to make an aggressive roll to the paint.

I mean, it is not like moving screens are called in the NBA anyway. If so, then Howard, Garnett, Perkins, Big Baby would all fould out of games in the first half.

Comment

verbatim wrote: View Post
          Bosh needs to set harder screens for Turk. It helps to avoid trapping Turk, and gives Bosh more time to make an aggressive roll to the paint.

I mean, it is not like moving screens are called in the NBA anyway. If so, then Howard, Garnett, Perkins, Big Baby would all fould out of games in the first half.
          Bosh isnt thick enough to create the same room that Howard could. Would Orlando be foolish enough to make this trade straight up?

Comment

Raffy15 wrote: View Post
            Bosh isnt thick enough to create the same room that Howard could. Would Orlando be foolish enough to make this trade straight up?
            What trade?

And, if Garnett can set hard (illegal, but uncalled) screens, so can Bosh.

Comment

Hedo Apparently Wants the Ball More Often

God help us all.

"The way I play, I've never been a selfish guy," said Turkoglu after the game. "I'm just trying to play as hard as I can, and get myself going.

"If I have the ball, I can be more creative with it ... For me, I'm running on the side and expecting to be a spot-up guy - you know, it's hard for me."

In other words, Turkoglu was used to having the offence run through him in Orlando, and that's happening less in the land of Jose Calderon and Jarrett Jack. So while he is actually shooting a higher percentage than he did with the Magic - 42.5%, versus 41.3% on last year's Finals team in Orlando - Turkoglu feels like he is watching too much, waiting for the ball, and then trying a little too often to be a player that he is not.

"I can't really go and grab the ball from Jose or Jack's hands," said the soft-spoken forward. "I respect those guys - they're great players. And they're used to running the team too.

"It's new team, new coach, new system, new players. But it's been three months - I can't keep telling what I did in the past. So I want people to know that I'm limited, too. I try to do my best, but you can be just limited."
              Source - Click here

Comment

The guy seems as though he is 40 years old. He doesn't even have the ability to run but I guess that's what Pizza and Sprite can do to ya
                Last name ever, first name greatest

Comment

Gurk wrote: View Post
                  The guy seems as though he is 40 years old. He doesn't even have the ability to run but I guess that's what Pizza and Sprite can do to ya
                  With the amount of money he's making, you'd think he could afford a treadmill and get into shape.

Seriously though, I have been very disappointed with his performance so far. Triano and Co., Turk, the players all need to figure out a way to get him more involved in running the offense. At the same time, Turk has to stop jacking up bad shots and needs to start getting more aggressive at attacking the rim.

I don't want to simplify things, but having Ocho and Turk on the same team doesn't help either-too redundant. BC needs to decide which one he wants to keep (or get more value for) and trade the other.
                  Last edited by .40 Cal Flakes; Tue Jan 12, 2010, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Arse's comment from his blog last night was priceless:

If anybody deserved to be benched, shown a mirror and ordered to run 100 suicides, it’s Hedo Turkoglu who’s playing like…well, Hans Moleman if he played basketball.

And for those that don't watch the Simpsons:

Comment

If anybody deserved to be benched, shown a mirror and ordered to run 100 suicides, it’s Hedo Turkoglu who’s playing like…well, Hans Moleman if he played basketball.
                      ^^ YES!

Wish Triano could do the same to Turk, or at least a swift kick in the ass:

Comment

"I would like to see him have the ball a little bit more too," Triano, the Raptors coach, said. "We have to find a way to get him involved a little bit more maybe.
                        Wow ... I guess we know what Triano thinks ... and how committed he is to giving Hedo Turkoglu more touches.

"I look at the fact we are one of the top scoring teams in the NBA," Triano said.

"Is it too early in the season to panic? Absolutely. Turk makes great plays. On (Sunday), he did not have a great game offensively and he still had nine assists. He took nine shots. That's 18 times he had the ball. "Does he want it more? Yes. Does everybody? Yes."
                        So, nothing is going to change on this score ... great news, isn't it?
                        nbaroundtable

Comment

That video is priceless.

Dave, surprised that Triano's pretending everything's OK even though it's not? I thought you would've been used to it by now.

Comment

excuse me!!!!!!!!!!!! how can you insult hedo like that.... i mean he's a way lot more better than anyone else...!!!!!!!!!!! he's just having a hard time to cooperate with bosh and the others as well...

Comment

still he's one of the best

Comment

Working...
                              X