Draft Profile: Tristan Thompson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Draft Profile: Tristan Thompson

The Raptors have the No. 5 pick in the draft, and Thompson said it would a “dream to play for his hometown team.”
    “I think it (would) be a national headline, especially with Toronto the only NBA team in Canada and having a hometown kid come back,” Thompson said of going to the Raptors. “It’s almost like the Derrick Rose effect (of the Chicago native going to the Bulls) maybe times two.”
    Thompson averaged 13.1 points, 7.8 rebounds and 2.39 blocks as a freshman last season with Texas.

While he still has some rough edges, Thompson’s athleticism and upside has scouts salivating.

“He’s one of the most athletic guys in this draft,” said forward Jordan Hamilton, Thompson’s teammate at Texas who also is expected to be a first-round pick.

“Once he’s able to really work on his jump shot, he’ll be a lot better. He’s a terrific talent, and he can play defense on guys and block shots.”

Thompson has been working on his jumper with former NBA player and coach John Lucas in Houston, shooting about a thousand shots a day. The workouts also include Cory Joseph, another Canadian who has known Thompson since the two were both 10 and who also was Thompson’s teammate at Findlay Prep.

If Thompson can hit some shots in his pre-draft workout with Toronto, that certainly would help his chances of being taken by his hometown team. Going No. 5 to the Raptors would likely be the highest possible selection for Thompson.
    Source: NJ.com

If he can move to the 3 spot I'm all for it, he can be the Josh Smith of the north.
    NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

Toronto is bringing him in.

Comment

e2thed wrote: View Post
        If he can move to the 3 spot I'm all for it, he can be the Josh Smith of the north.
        Not happening, the guy is going to be a nice power forward for years. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1NcI...&feature=share This video shows him putting in work on his post game.
        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Window Starts @ #5 With Raptors

Texas forward Tristan Thompson quieted some critics with his measurements on Friday. He, much like Williams, was seen as an undersized power forward. His measurements (nearly 6-9 in shoes, 7-1 wingspan and 9-foot standing reach) were nearly identical to that of Derrick Williams. He also nailed the interview process, according to several NBA team sources. His window starts with the Raptors at No. 5. The Pistons, Bobcats, Bucks, Jazz and Pacers are also all seriously interested. He looks like he’s a lock for the lottery.
          Source: PistonPowered.com

Comment

I don't see Toronto drafting another power forward at the 5 spot. Then we have AB, AJ, ED, as well as Thompson. Unless BC drafts a 4 and then trades one of he other guys for wing / backcourt help (not to mention a legit centre), this doesnt really make sense. Also, TT hasnt really been projected to go that high. Given the weakness of this draft, he could move up, especially if he impresses teams in the weeks before the draft. Personally, I wouldnt mind seeing Toronto deal Amir, and trying to add Thompson. They would either have to trade this pick to trade down, or try to acquire a 2nd pick in the 1st round. It would have to be another lottery pick though, I think Thompson will be going anywhere from 7 - 12.

Comment

If the PF position weren't the only completely solid area for the Raptors, I'd love to see him drafted by Toronto. But as it is, I just don't see where he'd get minutes.
              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I'm all about drafting the best player available...as long as it's not a PF. haha
                Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Bad timing. If Ed Davis had not fallen last year, then who knows? Given the uncertainty around the Euro bigs, Thompson would have been a safe and popular pick.

I am no talent scout or expert but I thought he looked like the best PF in the tourney outside of Williams. Not sure what his ceiling is but I can't see why he couldn't turn into a top 8 guy on a good team.

Comment

If they draft Tristan, then they have to trade Amir. if they trade Amir while his stock is high thats a good idea.
                    NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

Not necessarily. Ed Davis is planning on adding 20lbs of muscle over the summer. If he does that then he enters camp the same size as Noah. Last time I checked Noah is excelling at the 5 with a similar style as Ed. If Ed slides to the five then there's lots of room at the 4 for Amir and Tristan. Unless the Raptors draft a legit center I think Ed is destined to move to center and I think it will be a natural shift IF he adds the muscle mass he and his father are promising. Soon we'll be calling Ed a center, not a forward.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                        Not necessarily. Ed Davis is planning on adding 20lbs of muscle over the summer. If he does that then he enters camp the same size as Noah. Last time I checked Noah is excelling at the 5 with a similar style as Ed. If Ed slides to the five then there's lots of room at the 4 for Amir and Tristan. Unless the Raptors draft a legit center I think Ed is destined to move to center and I think it will be a natural shift IF he adds the muscle mass he and his father are promising. Soon we'll be calling Ed a center, not a forward.
                        Exactly what i was thinking, well said.

Comment

I disagree with the idea that Davis will be a C within the next few years. I think he's perfect where he is now. Apollo, I'm not sure where you got the impression that Davis would be the same size as Noah... Ed is 6'10", while Joakim is a legit 7'.

Comment

jrdyck wrote: View Post
                            I disagree with the idea that Davis will be a C within the next few years. I think he's perfect where he is now. Apollo, I'm not sure where you got the impression that Davis would be the same size as Noah... Ed is 6'10", while Joakim is a legit 7'.
                            Technically, neither is 7 feet. Davis measured at 6'9, whereas Noah measured at 6'10.5. Noah has a little longer wingspan, but Davis has a longer reach. Basically, they are pretty similar, size wise. Davis can definitely play center were he to add 20 lbs of muscle. He'd be on the smaller side, but guys like Al Horford, Emeka Okafor and Al Jefferson are all shorter. And he has a longer reach, as well.

It's probably not ideal that he play center, but Alonzo Mourning was considered a true PF, too, and he had a pretty good career at center. And he was only half an inch taller than Davis.
                            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                              Technically, neither is 7 feet. Davis measured at 6'9, whereas Noah measured at 6'10.5. Noah has a little longer wingspan, but Davis has a longer reach. Basically, they are pretty similar, size wise. Davis can definitely play center were he to add 20 lbs of muscle. He'd be on the smaller side, but guys like Al Horford, Emeka Okafor and Al Jefferson are all shorter. And he has a longer reach, as well.

It's probably not ideal that he play center, but Alonzo Mourning was considered a true PF, too, and he had a pretty good career at center. And he was only half an inch taller than Davis.
                              Ahhhhhh, my ears, my ears. How can you so nonchalantly mention that scum bag in a raptor's forum. (wait, maybe its my eyes, my eyes. Either way, I hate the guy.)
                              Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

Working...
                              X