Draft Profile: Jonas Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MangoKid wrote: View Post
    Best player 3 years from now..Knight could be that guy, but the Jazz seem to be smitten with him. I don't really have faith in Walker. You never knows what happens with Valancuinas and how he pans out or if he'll ever come over (maybe another Fran Vazquez situation) and Biyombo is an enigma. Could Vesely be the guy? Or Leonard? I wouldn't be upset if Leonard is the guy we get. At least we know that he's a tremedous athlete and plays D right out of the gate.
    Knight's a PG without PG skills or the leadership abilities. Outside of the physical, he simply lacks the skills to ever be a good PG. WHo cares if he's just 18. He could be 16, but that doesn't change the fact that he isn't a PG and doesn't seem to have the personality to be one.

Yes, Valanciunas might end up being a Vazquez, but more likely he'll just end up being a Rubio. I'm certainly willing to wait on the guy for a year or two if he's got the most upside.

If Kanter and Valanciunas is gone, I'm starting to think the best option will be Leonard.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

MyMomLovesMe wrote: View Post
      The hype does not make sense right now, no combine, no workouts. Kanter at 2 seems odd and risky to me.

I would take Williams at that position without hesitation.

All these internationals get extra hype around draft time. If you recall history, Rubbio wasn't going to last till 3, and he went 5th. Heard the same talk with Yi, and even Rudy Fernandez. They were all going to take the league by storm. It just seems that the players that are unknown quantaties always enjoy more hype.
      Rubio dropped, in large part, due to questions about whether or not he was going to come over right away and whether there would be a buyout issue. Kanter has no such issues.
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
        okay here is a crazy trade...

Bargs and our first rounder next year for Jefferson. I doubt they would do it, but would be cool.

We would draft Knight

Jefferson
        Davis
        ????
        DeMar
        Knight

looks good, but highly unlikey
        Are you serious? Not good, not good at all.

Comment

duncan wrote: View Post
          I agree; whats with all the love for Jefferson?
          The love is because we haven't had him yet. Once we have him, watch the hate rise.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
            I can't see Kanter falling to 5. However, stranger things have happened. If Minnesota passes on him at 2, I can't see Utah or Cleveland picking him up.
            I could.

I know everyone keeps pointing to Utah having Millsap, Jefferson, Okur and Favors, but they also have Devin Harris. Whether they go with a PG or a C, the prospect will be playing behind someone barring a trade. Okur expires next season, and if there is going to be a lockout, Kanter becomes more of a possibility for them. I don't see Millsap or Jefferson being long-term solutions for them, and if that's the case, Kanter can take over when they're gone. Then again, they could also seek to trade down and nab Vesely at a lower spot.

Cleveland doesn't have the talent to be picky. If they pick Irving at #1, they'll likely just pick the BPA at #4, whether they think that's Kanter, Valanciunas or Leonard. Yes, they have Hickson and Varejao, but they're not exactly so deep at the 4 and 5 to pass up on a big (if they deem him the BPA).

Comment

MyMomLovesMe wrote: View Post
              The hype does not make sense right now, no combine, no workouts. Kanter at 2 seems odd and risky to me.

I would take Williams at that position without hesitation.

All these internationals get extra hype around draft time. If you recall history, Rubbio wasn't going to last till 3, and he went 5th. Heard the same talk with Yi, and even Rudy Fernandez. They were all going to take the league by storm. It just seems that the players that are unknown quantaties always enjoy more hype.
              That's partially true, but the key difference this time, I think, is there's not much else to pick from. Every player beyond Irving and Williams has significant question marks (and those two aren't exactly question mark free either).

Comment

Minnesota doesn't need another European center, they got 2 already, what they need is a good homegrown, stolen-from-Africa-n American small foward.
                NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

Quixotic wrote: View Post
                  I could.

I know everyone keeps pointing to Utah having Millsap, Jefferson, Okur and Favors, but they also have Devin Harris. Whether they go with a PG or a C, the prospect will be playing behind someone barring a trade. Okur expires next season, and if there is going to be a lockout, Kanter becomes more of a possibility for them. I don't see Millsap or Jefferson being long-term solutions for them, and if that's the case, Kanter can take over when they're gone. Then again, they could also seek to trade down and nab Vesely at a lower spot.

Cleveland doesn't have the talent to be picky. If they pick Irving at #1, they'll likely just pick the BPA at #4, whether they think that's Kanter, Valanciunas or Leonard. Yes, they have Hickson and Varejao, but they're not exactly so deep at the 4 and 5 to pass up on a big (if they deem him the BPA).
                  I can see Utah picking Kanter, but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't. Next year, they will have $46 million tied up at their 4 and 5 position. I see it being a little tough to unload either Okur or Jefferson with their salaries.

Cleveland definitely might pick Kanter, but you just never know. It depends on who they pick first and who they think is the best player. If they pick Williams #1, then I wouldn't be surprised to see Knight or Walker picked 4th.

Still, I think in this draft there's a chance that Kanter could be available at 5.
                  Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I like Brandon at #5 if his there. His a big guard that can shoot the 3 and defend. Brandon Knight would be a good fit he could play the role that Jerryd Bayless played this year. He could contribute right away getting like 20 mins per game. He would be the best player on the board and he would fit a need shooting and defending the perimeter.
                    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                      I can see Utah picking Kanter, but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't. Next year, they will have $46 million tied up at their 4 and 5 position. I see it being a little tough to unload either Okur or Jefferson with their salaries.

Cleveland definitely might pick Kanter, but you just never know. It depends on who they pick first and who they think is the best player. If they pick Williams #1, then I wouldn't be surprised to see Knight or Walker picked 4th.

Still, I think in this draft there's a chance that Kanter could be available at 5.
                      I read somewheres that Utah is saying they really like Knight. I could see them liking that type of player.

Another thing to think about is the Cavs could totally afford to take a gamble on Jonas with their #4 since they already got Irving locked.
                      Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                        A lot of people had Alabi going in the 20s. That's one of the reasons why the Raptors felt they got such a steal. He fell due to having hepatitis B.
                        Hepatitis B is a real bad rap.
                        "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Employee wrote: View Post
                          I read somewheres that Utah is saying they really like Knight. I could see them liking that type of player.

Another thing to think about is the Cavs could totally afford to take a gamble on Jonas with their #4 since they already got Irving locked.
                          Utah GM Kevin O'Connor has been enamored with Knight since the season and now is in position to grab him as a replacement to Deron Williams. Knight is an absolute gym rat and a tremendous kid who will work hard on his game. It has become a PG dominated league and Knight has the size and speed to be a standout at the position. He may have some holes and take time to round into a complete point guard, but it's hard to argue with opting for such a strong competitor and character guy here. A clutch shooter, Knight has go to ability with his quick first step and ability to create shots. Long rated at the top or near the top of his class, Knight has elite level speed and quickness for a player his size. Despite lacking much leaping ability, he's a prolific scorer with a killer instinct. Knight has a professional mind set, always looking for ways to improve his game and has worked extremely hard in the weight room resulting in a chiseled physique. He's a bigtime shooter, but detractors point to his lack of passing ability/point guard skills. An excellent end to the year guiding UK to the SEC title and 2 game winners in the NCAA tourney taking them to the Final Four has his stock on the rise. He's a potential top 10 pick if a team believes he can develop into a full time starting PG

Dan Gilbert doesn't seem like his a real patient guy that would want to wait on Jonas Valcanciunas, so I thiink he would go for Kanter cause he NBA ready.
                          Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Wed May 18, 2011, 05:02 PM.
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                            Utah GM Kevin O'Connor has been enamored with Knight since the season and now is in position to grab him as a replacement to Deron Williams. Knight is an absolute gym rat and a tremendous kid who will work hard on his game. It has become a PG dominated league and Knight has the size and speed to be a standout at the position. He may have some holes and take time to round into a complete point guard, but it's hard to argue with opting for such a strong competitor and character guy here. A clutch shooter, Knight has go to ability with his quick first step and ability to create shots. Long rated at the top or near the top of his class, Knight has elite level speed and quickness for a player his size. Despite lacking much leaping ability, he's a prolific scorer with a killer instinct. Knight has a professional mind set, always looking for ways to improve his game and has worked extremely hard in the weight room resulting in a chiseled physique. He's a bigtime shooter, but detractors point to his lack of passing ability/point guard skills. An excellent end to the year guiding UK to the SEC title and 2 game winners in the NCAA tourney taking them to the Final Four has his stock on the rise. He's a potential top 10 pick if a team believes he can develop into a full time starting PG
                            Wow. Thanks for the info (no joke).

Do you work for Knight's PR firm? (joke)
                            Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post

Dan Gilbert doesn't seem like his a real patient guy that would want to wait on Jonas Valcanciunas, so I thiink he would go for Kanter cause he NBA ready.
                              I read this somewhere else. Make sure you include the source.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                                I read this somewhere else. Make sure you include the source.
                                It's from NBADraft.net mock draft 2.0
                                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                                X