Chad Ford Mock Draft 3.0: Raptors select Jan Vesely

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chad Ford Mock Draft 3.0: Raptors select Jan Vesely

Analysis: I'm still trying to get the pulse of what's happening in Toronto. Now that Bryan Colangelo has his extension, he can afford to take more risks. The question is … who does he gamble on? Last week we had Valanciunas here. He's still in the mix, but I've been told that Vesely is even higher on his list.

A terrific athlete, Vesely is ready to play right now and adds great size to Toronto's front line. Kemba Walker is also a legit option here and if for some reason Brandon Knight falls, he won't slip past the Raptors.
    Full lottery: Irving, Williams, Knight, Kanter, Vesely, Leonard, Walker, Valanciunas, Biyombo, Thompson, Morris, Singleton, Burks, Hamilton

Good god NO!

Comment

I personally have a hard time believing the Raptors would draft a PF at #5, given the fact they have Davis, Amir and potentially Bargnani filling that position.

I think it does become a bit more of a crapshoot and somewhat of drafting for positional needs after the top-4 of Irving/Williams/Kanter/Knight for the Raptors, based on what I've read on multiple sites.

Assuming their top-4 choices are gone and they still do draft @ #5, I'd like to see the Raps attempt to address the SF spot with Leonard, rather than draft a PF/iffy C (Vesely, Valanciunas, Biyombo) or an iffy PG (Walker). At that point, however, my preference would be to trade up to get one of their top-4 picks, trade the pick as part of a package for a good young veteran (ie: Gay, Mayo, etc...), or trade the pick for a rotation player & a lower pick, rather than take a big gamble with the #5 pick.
      Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Tue May 24, 2011, 05:55 PM.

Comment

...you mean the Blake Griffin of European Basketball?

(according to his profile he is a 6'11 SF. All he plays is SF.

On the other hand, it's tough to ignore the fact that opposing coaches in Europe clearly game-plan against him, trying to create situations where they can isolate their best wing player against him with space to operate. In these situations, Vesely tends to struggle. He has difficulty getting in a low stance at his size and just doesn't have the lateral quickness to stay in front of the extremely quick and aggressive shot-creators he often finds at the small forward position.
        From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...#ixzz1NJFIYcEi

Doesn't look like he can play SF at the the NBA level, so PF is probably correct)
        Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Tue May 24, 2011, 05:57 PM.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
          I personally have a hard time believing the Raptors would draft a PF at #5, given the fact they have Davis, Amir and potentially Bargnani filling that position.

I think it does become a bit more of a crapshoot and somewhat of drafting for positional needs after the top-4 of Irving/Williams/Kanter/Knight for the Raptors, based on what I've read on multiple sites.

Assuming their top-4 choices are gone and they still do draft @ #5, I'd like to see the Raps attempt to address the SF spot with Leonard, rather than draft a PF/iffy C (Vesely, Valanciunas, Biyombo) or an iffy PG (Walker). At that point, however, my preference would be to either trade up to get one of their top-4 picks, trade the pick as part of a package for a good young veteran (ie: Gay, Mayo, etc...), or trade the pick for a rotation player & a lower pick, rather than take a big gamble with the #5 pick.
          Not that i'm happy about this mock draft but the dude can play the 3 for sure.
          Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

I can't see Vesely going over Leonard.

Comment

Employee wrote: View Post
              Not that i'm happy about this mock draft but the dude can play the 3 for sure.
              6'11 playing SF? I would argue strongly against that, especially if you expect him to keep up defensively against the better SF in the league. Turkoglu plays SF too, but that doesn't mean he does it well. If I was going to play a 7' Euro at SF, I'd just move Bargnani over to SF and draft a different player. IMO, I highly doubt he'll be a SF in the NBA and don't want to take that kind of risk with the #5 spot.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                6'11 playing SF? I would argue strongly against that, especially if you expect him to keep up defensively against the better SF in the league. Turkoglu plays SF too, but that doesn't mean he does it well. If I was going to play a 7' Euro at SF, I'd just move Bargnani over to SF and draft a different player. IMO, I highly doubt he'll be a SF in the NBA and don't want to take that kind of risk with the #5 spot.
                You've never seen this guy play then.
                The ONLY position he is going to play in the NBA is the SF. Maybe a little bit of PF, but he's so skinny, that he wouldn't even be able to make a dent against some of those guys.

The Dunking Ninja is a SF.

Comment

Guys, don't worry about Chad Ford on this one. Ford is wrong often in his yearly predictions. I am now certain the Raptors can do better than Vesely at #5. There is a group of more talented players emerging. Based on what Colangelo said in basically publically pleading for his job, Vesely probably isn't the pick.

Looking at what Colangelo has done in the past couple years I think Leonard makes more sense if he's going to go for a wing.

Comment

I really like Vesely so I like this one. He may have the best combo of athleticism and size of any player in the draft. Think a taller, young, Kirelenko.
                    "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Vesely = second coming of Durant.

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
                        Vesely = second coming of Durant.
                        not even close man, not even close...

Comment

all i've heard about Vesely is his dunking ability but can someone tell me about how he is on the defensive end and i read that his handles are horrible is that true???? i don't hate vesely but i don't see what makes him a better prospect that valanciunas

Comment

HuskyRaptor wrote: View Post
                            all i've heard about Vesely is his dunking ability but can someone tell me about how he is on the defensive end and i read that his handles are horrible is that true???? i don't hate vesely but i don't see what makes him a better prospect that valanciunas
                            From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...#ixzz1NK2zsNy6

Defense is the part of Vesely's game that is most likely to spark debate when it comes to his future. On one hand, you cannot ignore the terrific physical tools Vesely enjoys – his excellent size, length and athleticism allow him to get his team plenty of extra possessions in the form of steals and blocks. He's also an intense competitor who's always willing to stick his nose in to get the job done, which definitely helps.

On the other hand, it's tough to ignore the fact that opposing coaches in Europe clearly game-plan against him, trying to create situations where they can isolate their best wing player against him with space to operate. In these situations, Vesely tends to struggle. He has difficulty getting in a low stance at his size and just doesn't have the lateral quickness to stay in front of the extremely quick and aggressive shot-creators he often finds at the small forward position.

To his credit, Vesely acknowledges that this is an issue for him. "Of course," he told us. "they are smaller than me, they are faster so I have to work on my aggressiveness, try to get faster and play better defense."

How well Vesely is able to adapt in this area will play a crucial role in the type of NBA career he's able to carve out for himself.

Comment

Good Scouting Assessment from the Utah Jass play-by-play guy.
                              He covers some defense in there. Good watch.

Things to note...

-His hands aren't that great.
                              -Pretty good Driving ability off the dribble with both hands.
                              -Crazy athletic.
                              -Still very slender.
                              -Nice shooting form.

-Good feet on defense actually.
                              -Good IQ on switches and help D.
                              -Good energy on D. Good effort. Plays hard/Passion.
                              -Boxes out.
                              -Nice Block.

He's 6'11" and guarding Flip Murray quite a few times in this clip. Impressive.
                              Last edited by Joey; Tue May 24, 2011, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X