Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chris Singleton vs. Kawhi Leonard: why is one top 10 and the other mid to late 1st rd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If we draft Knight or Kanter at 5 and pick singleton up later, along with Ed, thats 3 VERY good defensive players. The teams D just got upgraded significantly.
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I would like to have an extra pick, but I don't think Chicago will be selling theirs.

I honestly think that the difference between JJ and Julian Wright is not as big as what we could have had in this draft with that pick. The same upside that lies in JJ is also found in Julian Wright. I think if he was ever given the same playing time JJ was, he would have been as good an option at the position.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
        If we draft Knight or Kanter at 5 and pick singleton up later, along with Ed, thats 3 VERY good defensive players. The teams D just got upgraded significantly.
        It seems like people are getting on the Singleton train. If only the we could lobby the team and be like, "Yo! B-Dot! The Republic has spoken, and we command you to get a second, late-lottery draft pick."

And yeah, picking up Kanter AND Singleton would just be a crazy win for the team.

Comment

MyMomLovesMe wrote: View Post
          I would like to have an extra pick, but I don't think Chicago will be selling theirs.

I honestly think that the difference between JJ and Julian Wright is not as big as what we could have had in this draft with that pick. The same upside that lies in JJ is also found in Julian Wright. I think if he was ever given the same playing time JJ was, he would have been as good an option at the position.
          Big fan of Ju Ju but he doesn't have the same Motor, Athleticism, Size, Ball Handling skills or Defense as JJ.
          Johnson is a huge upgrade over Wright. In my opinion.

Comment

jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
            Regarding your post Apollo (fully aware you were just posting more info and weren't necessarily saying "no" to Singleton): while his offense is pretty weak when trying to create his own shot, shot creation wouldn't be his role at all on the Raps. Why he's such a good fit for TO is that he doesn't need to play out of his comfort zone. The Raps are tailor made for his skill-set.

His role on defense: lockdown defender, guard the other team's best wing player, help defense.
            His role on offense: hit the spot up 3.

No more, no less, and if he does those successfully, he should have no problems excelling as the Raps starting 3.
            Yep. Agreed. He would come in with a very distinct role. I'm thinking bigger, badder Bruce Bowen.

Comment

Here's a decent write-up of this debate, expanded to fit 2 other players. It's written by a Wizards guy.

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2011/5...arkieff-morris
              your pal,
              ebrian

Comment

Nice little write up on Singleton. Article is advocating Wizards picking Singleton at 6. Here is what jumped out at me:

Did you think John Wall and Trevor Booker are fast? Absolutely. But what if I told you that Singleton posted a better 3/4 sprint time than both of them at this year's NBA Draft Combine? It's true. Whereas Wall ran the sprint in 3.14 seconds and Booker did it in 3.1 seconds, Singleton did it in 3.09 seconds. It's just one measure of speed, but it goes to show that Singleton will be able to run with these guys on the break.

http://dc.sbnation.com/washington-wi...hris-singleton

Comment

WOW.. that IS impressive. I didn't even see that.

I liked this one:
                  [Singleton] is the type of player who would have no problem guarding multiple positions at the NBA level -be it face-up 4's, shot-creating wings, back-to-the-basket forwards, or even switching out onto quicker guards on the perimeter (if that's how his coach elects to defend the pick-and-roll). This type of versatility makes him extremely attractive in today's NBA.
                  Can cover for ANYONE on the floor, depending on who the weakest defender is, ala Tony Allen or Shane Battier.
                  Last edited by Joey; Sun May 29, 2011, 02:55 PM.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                    WOW.. that IS impressive. I didn't even see that.

I liked this one:

Can cover for ANYONE on the floor, depending on who the weakest defender is, ala Tony Allen or Shane Battier.
                    Yeah, he can guard 2-4 no questions. I'm surprised, in such a weak draft (as has been said so many times I feel like bashing my head against the keyboard everytime I see it, read it, say it, or type it) he is not projected higher than mid first round.

Comment

This is the kind of player that the raptors have need of and should manoeuvre to get.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        I'm surprised, in such a weak draft he is not projected higher than mid first round.
                        I don't really understand it to be honest with you.
                        The guy has proven to be able to hit the 3 ball with some consistency and can defend better than ANYONE in the draft.

I guess its because with him, you sort of know what you're going to get. He's not going to be a Kobe Bryant that makes your team Millions of dollars. I think alot of the top picks this year are going to be mainly based on 'what-could-be', which is a shame for the players that already-are.

Comment

I realize this is an old thread, but just noticed Singleton is up to 9th on DraftExpress, while Leonard has dropped to 14th.
                          your pal,
                          ebrian

Comment

Working...
                          X