Bell, Rogers and Shaw No Longer Interested In MLSE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bell, Rogers and Shaw No Longer Interested In MLSE

... The big boys of Canadian media, Bell, Rogers, and Shaw, have apparently said thanks but no thanks to the majority share stake in Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd
    Source: Ottawa Sun

You set the bar too high and this is what happens.

I guess the Teachers pension will have to keep raking in profits from this successful enterprise until another set of buyers comes around.

Comment

Welcome to the on again, off again rumours of selling a multi-billion dollar corporation.

I think this might also be referred to as KARMA.

Comment

I will crack my piggie-bank tonight and see if I can scrape up enough nickels to make an offer. Anyone else want in? You will have to refer to me as He-Man, Master of the Universe, though.

Comment

The way the deal is structured, even if they buy the team, they still must put the TV rights up for bid, due to Tanenbaum's stake and other shareholders.

So by buying MLSE's stake of the franchise you gain nothing media wise. Other parties can still bid up the rights, and Bell or Rogers will be paying indirectly back to the Tanenbaum and other shareholders for those rights. Depending on the size of their pie, it represents a significant leak of funds.

It's a little better for rights holders, but not worth putting in billions into the asset for the sort of gain involved. If it was outright ownership, they would be more than interested.

(If Larry and the other shareholders could be persuaded to give up their stake, or rework the tv rights acquisition process maybe they would bite... but why would the other shareholders agree to get jacked on TV rights?)
          Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Wed May 25, 2011, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Beaverboi wrote: View Post
            I will crack my piggie-bank tonight and see if I can scrape up enough nickels to make an offer. Anyone else want in? You will have to refer to me as He-Man, Master of the Universe, though.
            i'm in, you know i think i could throw in a quarter... will that help mr. he-man?
            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Working...
            X