International Free Agents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• International Free Agents?

BC's signing of Garbajosa and Parker in his first season was a big part of his early success with the Raptors.

Who's out there that we could get?

If we don't draft Kantre, Valanciunas or Biyombo, maybe we can sign someone like Bourousis? Other possibilities?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yiannis_Bourousis

The guy who I really want is Dimitris Diamantidis. He's a terror on D and has tremendous size for a PG.

Comment

Flip Murray
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

There is a strong bodied PG out there who is still fairly young and is coming off a great run in Euro League...

Jeremy Pargo.

EDIT, looks like he just signed a new 2 year deal on May 24th with Maccabi Tel Aviv.
        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Juan Carlos Navarro, if they could somehow convince him that if he gave the NBA another try it would be more inviting in Toronto. If Calderon gets moved in that rumored Gay trade or some other trade you have a player who can fill in at the point at times and can also shoot the lights out at the 2. His one and only season in the NBA is not a true representation of his abilities. He wasn't given a fair chance and was never made to feel at home in Memphis. He's 30 now. He could provide some veteran leadership and consistency off the bench.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
            The guy who I really want is Dimitris Diamantidis. He's a terror on D and has tremendous size for a PG.
            The only problem is he is over 30 and we are not close to winning anything, why would he come over?
            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
              Juan Carlos Navarro, if they could somehow convince him that if he gave the NBA another try it would be more inviting in Toronto. If Calderon gets moved in that rumored Gay trade or some other trade you have a player who can fill in at the point at times and can also shoot the lights out at the 2. His one and only season in the NBA is not a true representation of his abilities. He wasn't given a fair chance and was never made to feel at home in Memphis. He's 30 now. He could provide some veteran leadership and consistency off the bench.
              I think he could be a great pick up for a team like the Knicks or Boston, a team that can win and use a solid vet that can shoot the ball. I just don't see Toronto as a place for a 30 year old to come and play for a loosing team for a year or two.
              Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
                I think he could be a great pick up for a team like the Knicks or Boston, a team that can win and use a solid vet that can shoot the ball. I just don't see Toronto as a place for a 30 year old to come and play for a loosing team for a year or two.
                Good point but don't forget when Garbo and Parker came the Raps won 27 games the year before.

Comment

Does Navarro want to come back though? I thought he didn't enjoy the nba or something? Or did he just not like playing in Memphis...
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Ya, but I think we were in a bit of a win now mode with how weak the Atlantic division was and how well Bosh was progressing we were in a better spot then we are now.
                    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

IF the Gay trade (I'm having trouble finding a name for it that doesn't sound derogatory) does go through (or something like it), I'd definitely be up for signing someone like Diamantidis or Navarro. I've been consistently against trading for or signing older players, but in this case I'll make an exception for two reasons. The Raptors would desperately need another PG on the roster, and there simply aren't many on the free agent market worth taking (Stuckey? Ugh!). Also, I don't like having two young PGs as your two PGs. I think it stifles their growth and has them worrying about their future too much. It also tends to cause problems, as we've seen. If Calderon is traded and the Raptors don't draft a young PG, I'm willing to give Bayless a chance, so a 20 mpg veteran is all the Raptors would need.
                      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
                        The only problem is he is over 30 and we are not close to winning anything, why would he come over?
                        If someone shows him the money and he gets a chance to play in the NBA, I think he'd jump ship.

Comment

The thing is these guys make very good money in Europe so would an NBA team be willing to give out a big enough contract over enough years for an unproven vet?
                          Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

WJF is right.

The good FA are paid more than we can afford to give. It would make no sense. I was listening to the ESPNU panel at the Combine and they talked about the Euromarket that it was "stripped mined", or "over mined" in the last decade, because of players like Parker and Gasol. They were saying that for a while teams were over focusing on that market, and it caused the elastic to snap and the opportunity cost, became less and less worthy as the talent thinned out. The whole panel unanimously agreed like it was some sort of inside knowledge that is frequently discussed around the scouting cooler.

Meaning what was left, was looking good because very few real talents were left in that league. Guys like Milt Palacio were having field days and becoming the cream of the league.

(truth is the euro market is no secret anymore, so finding a "diamond" means going through a lot of coal)

(btw, they did not dismiss the euro-market, just said that the radar is a lot stronger than it used to be, so finding talent that has been missed is no longer so easy - its not the discount bin anymore)
                            Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Thu May 26, 2011, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Anthony Parker?
                              The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Working...
                              X