Shape Up or Ship Out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shape Up or Ship Out?

I am sure many of you have read the recent Arsenalist posts with the same title as this thread (which apparently he regrets lol)...

Assume for a minute Colangelo does exactly as the posts recommend.

We would end up with a roster of Bayless, DeRozan, Kleiza, J. Johnson, A. Johnson, Davis, Dorsey, and Alabi.

I would say that I generally agree with all of that, but would like to add the following.

Bayless and Barbossa do duplicate many of the same skills. I am all for giving Bayless another year to develop, however I would argue that we would be better off with him backing up Demar, which would provide us with a decent scorer coming off the bench. I think Bayless would be more effective playing a role which did not require him to be the primary ball handler.

I would welcome the opportunity to dump Kleiza, but due to his injury we may have to hold on to him for at least one more year.

I would like to see Dorsey get more minutes next year, playing the minutes that Reggie was getting this year. (Unless we acquire better starting and backup centres)

This roster would leave us with no legit centre (apologies to Alabi), and no legit point guard. With this roster it would be very likely we would be looking to draft either Knight, Kanter, or Valanciunas, (unless BC believes Kemba could be a point guard in the NBA).

I would say that based on this roster we should not be looking to dump Calderon, or Bargnani, unless Colangelo can make a trade that either fits with the rebuild, improves our cap situation, or allows us to replace those players with more defensive minded players with a similar cap hit.

Either way, I would say we should all get used to supporting a 20 win team for at least one more year lol.
    Last edited by Donnie Brasco; Mon May 30, 2011, 04:20 PM.

Maybe 'dump' isn't the right word. It's not like BC would just get rid of all those players. They all would all have to be involved in a trade of some sort.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

1. You kinda have to expect that we'll be getting players back either through the trades that ship out the "ship out" players, or via free agency. There are always role players that can be had for cheap.

2. I would not be against holding onto Calderon because a young, growing team still needs someone to distribute the ball effectively.

3. As long as the team puts forth the same effort and fight that was evident earlier this season (before Reggie got injured), I'd be fine supporting them whatever the win total.

Comment

It looks like another season of sucking to me regardless.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
          I'd agree. Having a bonafide C locked up for the next 4 seasons would make that much easier to take though.

Comment

As per Quix's post above, I wouldn't be opposed to Calderon coming back. This is especially true if the Raps draft a young PG like Walker or Knight. Neither guy is going to be ready to take over the starter's role on Day One and Calderon provides a solid stand-in while Knight/Walker learn. I don't see Bayless/Knight or Walker working as both guys are going to see themselves as the future PG and that isn't going to be good.

Other than that, I had no issue with the posts. If anything, they could move a few more guys. The reality is that only 8 spots matter on a NBA roster. The other 4-7 spots are just filler. Debating the finer points on guys like Dorsey, Alabi and Kleiza is pointless cause these guys are a dime a dozen. As far as I can tell, we only really have 1 or 2 players that are top 8 guys (Davis and maybe Derozan) and that's it. I'm more curious about the next 2 drafts and whether they can bring in another 2 quality players than whether Reggie Evans is going to be back to play 40 games.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
              Other than that, I had no issue with the posts. If anything, they could move a few more guys. The reality is that only 8 spots matter on a NBA roster. The other 4-7 spots are just filler. Debating the finer points on guys like Dorsey, Alabi and Kleiza is pointless cause these guys are a dime a dozen. As far as I can tell, we only really have 1 or 2 players that are top 8 guys (Davis and maybe Derozan) and that's it. I'm more curious about the next 2 drafts and whether they can bring in another 2 quality players than whether Reggie Evans is going to be back to play 40 games.
              Very true. Aside from DeRozan, Davis and maybe Amir Johnson (if only because sometimes you have to give up quality to get quality in return), I wouldn't be that upset if any of the others were moved.

Comment

There are moves that has to made and im pretty sure BC knows that although most of us undrestands that we are in "rebuilding" mode and will be patient to see where all his moves goes, he also know that he has to at least put a team this year that falls into his plans and at the same time gives fans something to watch for. Cant rebuild a team in one year but for some reason alot of our fan bros are expecting too much to happen for next season, i say let BC do his thing, support the team he's going to have comming traing camp and be prepared for some up and downs yet again. Patience is all we can give our team at the moment although i cant blame some of you guys that are tired of waiting for when our team will be back in contension if not in the east but at least in our division.
                Last edited by G-locity; Mon May 30, 2011, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                  It sure does. Bry Co would have to pull a whole bunch of rabbits out of his hat to make next season a good one.

Worst case scenario is that he makes the team good enough to challenge for the 8th seed.

Best case scenario: tell the new coach to suck it up and lose bad for a year, trade Andrea, Jose and Barbosa for future assets (ie 2012 picks), draft Valancious with the 2011 pick, and let him stay in Europe for another year. That will guarantee that the team sucks again, and start fresh with multiple picks in next years' stacked draft + your 2011 rookie.

Comment

you draft bpa this year and prolly will still suck if nothing too drastic of a move is made we will suck for another year and then we'll start playoff contending the next.
                    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Working...
                    X