Jay Triano out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RaptorDan wrote: View Post
    I guess I'm one of the only ones, but I liked Jay, I thought he did a good job with player development and had a good report with the players. The Raptors, barring some out of this world blockbuster move, aren't going to be contended next season and I thought Jay was the logical coach. He could have continued to develop the kids and be a sacrificial lamb if need be. Sorry to see you go and I wish you the best in the future.
    The word is spelled Rapport (and is pronounced with a silent T).

Otherwise, I agree. Great coach for player development. However it's Colangelo's job to make the best team he can. This offseason there is a veritable treasure trove of excellent coaches that are potentially available. Consider the letting go of Triano akin to not picking up a Player Option for a player with an expensive contract in an off-season rich with quality Free Agents. It's a good move by BC, I think, but I still appreciate what Triano did for all the Raptors' young players.

Comment

BayCityBaller wrote: View Post
      I am appalled that anyone mentions Dunleavy seriously. Did you pay attention to his tenure w/ LAC? An absolute sham. The guy must have had something on Sterling because he was ousted seasons after he should have been.
      Agree totally, except with the idea that he had something on Sterling. Sterling, quite simply, is the worst GM in basketball (followed extremely closely by David "My Son's Name is Mediocre Point Guard" Khan. The extended tenure of Dunleavy on the Clippers speaks largely to that truth.

Comment

BayCityBaller wrote: View Post
        I am appalled that anyone mentions Dunleavy seriously. Did you pay attention to his tenure w/ LAC? An absolute sham. The guy must have had something on Sterling because he was ousted seasons after he should have been.
        If by sham you mean getting a team that consisted mostly of Losers, Elton Brand and a very old Sam Cassell, within one game of the Western Finals, then sure. Check his track record. Look beyond a couple bad seasons with a ridiculously bad team and you'll see he's quite capable.

Look at Doc Rivers. He was BRUTAL before he got KG and Ray Allen and now he's being called the best Coach in the League.
        Every coach loses if they're given losers on their team.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
          Give JVG whatever he wants. Give him e2thed's first born, I don't care. Get it done.
          Well hes gotta wait a decade , or just as long as it took Minne to sign Rubio, either or.
          NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
            Agree totally, except with the idea that he had something on Sterling. Sterling, quite simply, is the worst GM in basketball (followed extremely closely by David "My Son's Name is Mediocre Point Guard" Khan. The extended tenure of Dunleavy on the Clippers speaks largely to that truth.
            Sterling is the owner of the Clippers.

Elgin Baylor was the GM for 20 plus years before Dunleavey took over as coach and GM.

Ironically both Baylor and Dunleavey have taken Sterling to court for failure to pay remainder of contracts upon firing.

Comment

I see...I knew he was the owner, I guess I thought he was owner/GM. Actually, in the back of my mind I think I knew he wasn't the GM.

Comment

optifan wrote: View Post
                Mark my words, Messina will be our next coach. Triano's contract wasn't set to expire until June 15, so it seems a tad premature to me that this decision has been made today. Connect that with the fact that Messina has just been presented an offer to be Mike Brown's assistant in LA. I think Colangelo is swooping in before that becomes final.

That's my theory, and in my opinion it wouldn't be a bad thing.
                Colangelo said last week that he was going to make a decision on Jay over the next couple weeks and that they would meet this week. I think he's being fair to Jay and at the same time trying not to waste any time in terms of finding a replacement. If you know the guy isn't coming back then why drag it out?

Comment

jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
                  I see...I knew he was the owner, I guess I thought he was owner/GM. Actually, in the back of my mind I think I knew he wasn't the GM.
                  In the back of Sterling's mind I'm sure he thinks he is the GM too. haha

Comment

Messina will be in the mix - he is a defensive minded coach afterall. He's a winner and he does have a decent pedigree.

I personally believe that the man Colangelo ultimately wants is Jerry Sloan and would be willing to pay for the guy. If Sloan's heart isn't in coaching any longer, I think it'll come down to Adelman and Messina.

Comment

Lawrence Frank would be a fantastic hire
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

1. Lawrence Frank
                        2. Mike Woodson
                        3. Dwane Casey
                        The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
                          1. Lawrence Frank
                          2. Mike Woodson
                          3. Dwane Casey
                          When Colangelo talked about someone who had a pedigree, someone who has a winning track record, I don't think he had Casey in mind.

I think Frank and Woodson are fallback options for Adelman, Sloan and Messina (and both, meaning Frank and Woodson- would be wonderful fallback options to have)
                          Last edited by MangoKid; Thu Jun 2, 2011, 10:14 AM.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                            Messina will be in the mix - he is a defensive minded coach afterall. He's a winner and he does have a decent pedigree.

I personally believe that the man Colangelo ultimately wants is Jerry Sloan and would be willing to pay for the guy. If Sloan's heart isn't in coaching any longer, I think it'll come down to Adelman and Messina.
                            why are you thinking sloan?out of curiosity.
                            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

I do not see Jerry Sloan ever returning to coach. He was always a tired-looking guy, but last season set new lows for him. He looked like he aged 5 years for every game.

We are all guessing/ wishing at this point. Sloan is far more of a wish than a guess. Adelman, Frank and Woodson are solid guesses. Messina is a dark horse, regardless of his pedigree in Europe and Colangelo's affinity for Euros. Taking a shot at a guy with zero NBA experience doesn't seem like the reason to drop Triano. Mind you, reading BC's mind is like me bagging Jessica Alba- next to impossible.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                                why are you thinking sloan?out of curiosity.
                                Thinking Sloan because I'm not sure he really wanted to leave coaching. It was a primadonna type player that made him leave. Do I think he's gonna come out of retirement? No, not even for a Larry Brown-NYK type contract. I think he's very happy spending time at home, but from a Raptors management standpoint, I do think you shouldn't leave any stone unturned. It would be a real disservice if Colangelo didn't at least make a call to him to gauge his interest - if there was any at all.
                                Last edited by MangoKid; Thu Jun 2, 2011, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X